"Wait and See" approach on easing Cuba travel restrictions for American travellers
Cuba holidays will continue to be something of an "utopia" for U.S. tourists as no advances have been made yet on Obama's part to remove the Cuba travel ban restrictions imposed for American travellers since 1963.
A new press release has shed some light in the rather shadowy area of Cuba travel for U.S citizens. The press release, titled "Council on Hemispheric Affairs. The Mid-Term Elections: An Easy Prediction for the Future of U.S.-Cuba Relations" by COHA Director Larry Birns and Research Associate Kelsey Strain, says that the prospect of Cuba holidays for American travellers still looks like a feeble and faint possibility, still far off in the not-so-near future.
As the April 2009 Summit of the Americas drew to a close in Trinidad and Tobago, President Obama’s statement that the U.S. was prepared to seek new relations with Cuba favorably resonated with the assembled Latin American leaders. But up to now, only minimal progress has been made in implementing a new policy, with the exception of relaxed restrictions on travel and remittances for Cubans living in the United States. So no luck in the horizon for the many travel agencies and tour operators hoping to sell Cuba holidays to U.S travellers.
Yet again, echoing the same formulaic slogans uttered by former U.S. presidents for half a century, Obama, on the relatively rare occasion that he has anything to say about Latin American issues, he continues to stress a “wait and see” approach for Cuba's case, in which Havana will have to earn the right to be a negotiating partner, and so far no further advancements have been made on either part. Cuba on the other hand, will more than welcome American travellers and says it has the capacity to offer Cuba holidays to 1 million of US travellers every year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights for an extra £20 per person
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...