Virgin Atlantic CEO praises the quick recovery of St Lucia holidays
Giving St Lucia a pat on the back for their swift action and big efforts to restore the island's beauty in no time after the passing of the Hurricane Tomas through the island, Virgin Atlantic praised St Lucia holidays for getting back in tip-top shape.
Praising the prompt and efficient recovery of the St Lucia holidays market as the island swiftly proceed to clean up after the mess Hurricane Tomas left behind, Chief Executive of Virgin Atlantic Airways, Steve Ridgway, commended St Lucia on its quick rebounce well in the aftermath of Hurricane Tomas and his company was pleased to return to the market this past Sunday, November 14, with a full load of passengers.
Arriving to the island aboard Virgin Atlantic's second flight into St Lucia since the 30th October storm, Ridgway met with Prime Minister Stephenson King and key tourism industry stakeholders, as he evaluated firsthand the resilience of St Lucia holidays and the tourism infrastructure of the island and its people.
"We came in with a full load Sunday and it is clear that travel is getting back to what it was prior to the storm," he told journalists at a press reception, which was also attended by members of the Saint Lucia Tourist Board, the Saint Lucia Hotel and Tourism Association (SLHTA) and the Rotary Club.
"I spoke with lots of passengers and they were all eagerly looking forward to their holiday, and were not daunted at all by what they have been hearing or reading," he pointed out.
Ridgway added that he was pleased with efforts to restore the island's road network and water production and gleaned from his talks with King there was a very clear intent on the part of government to convey that the country is open for St Lucia holidays and the tourism product had not been adversely impacted by the storm.
"It (is) important to normalize the flow of passengers to (Saint Lucia), which remains an important destination for us," he added.
Virgin Atlantic Airways, which has been serving holidays to St Lucia for the past 12 years, quickly put together a team of both British and Caribbean staff to assist passengers on the island who had been affected by the hurricane, as well as communities that were in need of relief.
Emergency supplies, including 115 aqua boxes and 80 shelter boxes, were transported to assist the Rotary Club of Saint Lucia. More than 3,000 litres of bottled water were also flown in and distributed by Virgin's ground staff.
Senator Allen Chastanet, Saint Lucia's Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation, thanked Virgin Atlantic for both its generosity and commitment to the destination.
"Our British and European business is showing tremendous growth potential," he said, adding that with new intra-regional air partners, Saint Lucia was positioning Hewanorra International Airport as a premier hub for connections to the Eastern Caribbean.
Virgin Atlantic Airways currently operates three weekly flights between Saint Lucia's Hewanorra International Airport and London's Gatwick Airport.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- Early Booking discount now extended
- All Inclusive Beachfront Resort with 6 restaurants, 6 bars and a cafe
- Overlooking Choc Bay and perfect for families where Kids stay and eat free, have access to a Kids pool and kids club
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with a family and adults only section
- Premium All-Inclusive Resort with 8 Restaurants and 7 Bars to choose from
- Save up to a fantastic 60% plus up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Book one of the Honeymoon and Wedding Packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
- Unique Couples only resort designed for Honeymoons and Weddings
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...