Lobby against APD rises intensifies as Caribbean holidays push for re-consideration of charges
As Caribbean forces continue to fight over the newly imposed APD tax increase, governments are lobbying for a further revision to the new charges which have taken effect since 1st November 2010, damaging the whole holiday industry for British travellers.
Just last Friday Caribbean governments united and ramped up their efforts to have the UK government re-consider their recent sharp increase of the air passenger duty (APD), a new tax rise that could really cause trouble for the Caribbean holidays industry.
Speaking on behalf of Jamaica holidays, and how these would be affected by the APD tax increase, Jamaica's tourism minister, Edmund Bartlett, along with a delegation of Caribbean tourism ministers and high commissioners, met with members of the Scottish Parliament, in Scotland on Friday afternoon, in continuation of the lobby against the APD.
The controversial tax that is applied to the cost of airline tickets originating in the UK has resulted in a reduction in bookings for several countries in the region. In commenting on the high level talks, Bartlett said that the deliberations went extremely well. He revealed that they had extensive discussions with the Cross Party Group, which consists of representatives from Scotland's Conservative, Labour and Green parties.
Bartlett emphasised that the group has undertaken to take the campaign against the APD to the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, an organisation, of British origin, which works to support democracy, good governance, and human rights. The Cross Party Group also intends to enlist the support of human rights and ethics activists groups, as they see the tax as discriminatory. They maintain that the duty will deny thousands of persons the opportunity to visit their loved ones in times of distress and need.
Amid mounting concerns over the implications of the increased duty for the future of Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean delegation outlined the economic impact it has already had and the deleterious impact it will continue to have on the economies of Caribbean nations, which are dependent on tourism.
In fact, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation has reported that the number of visitors to the region from the UK has decreased since the sharp increase in the APD earlier this month. On November 1, the APD was increased from 50 pounds (US$77) to 75 pounds (US $115) for economy-class travellers to the Caribbean; and from 100 pounds (US$154) to 150 pounds (US$291) for premium economy, business and first-class passengers.
While the matter of the APD was the main focus of the discussions, the issue of heritage tourism was also explored, as the historic links between Caribbean nations, such as Jamaica, and Scotland were examined. Bartlett noted that there are various avenues for heritage tourism that will be explored with Scotland seeing so many individuals from that country are linked genealogically to Jamaica and the Caribbean through the plantation system. He thinks this reality presents an opportunity to encourage Scots to visit Jamaica in order to rediscover their roots.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning varadero beach, getting the best of both during Easter 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre Easter holiday package deal
- The elegant distrrict of Miramar and the pristine beach of Varadero provide the perfect settings for exploring the charm and beauty of Cuba
- Boasts facilities, activities, excursions and entertainment for every taste
- A spacious, classy and comfortable feel
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...