Lobby against APD rises intensifies as Caribbean holidays push for re-consideration of charges
As Caribbean forces continue to fight over the newly imposed APD tax increase, governments are lobbying for a further revision to the new charges which have taken effect since 1st November 2010, damaging the whole holiday industry for British travellers.
Just last Friday Caribbean governments united and ramped up their efforts to have the UK government re-consider their recent sharp increase of the air passenger duty (APD), a new tax rise that could really cause trouble for the Caribbean holidays industry.
Speaking on behalf of Jamaica holidays, and how these would be affected by the APD tax increase, Jamaica's tourism minister, Edmund Bartlett, along with a delegation of Caribbean tourism ministers and high commissioners, met with members of the Scottish Parliament, in Scotland on Friday afternoon, in continuation of the lobby against the APD.
The controversial tax that is applied to the cost of airline tickets originating in the UK has resulted in a reduction in bookings for several countries in the region. In commenting on the high level talks, Bartlett said that the deliberations went extremely well. He revealed that they had extensive discussions with the Cross Party Group, which consists of representatives from Scotland's Conservative, Labour and Green parties.
Bartlett emphasised that the group has undertaken to take the campaign against the APD to the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, an organisation, of British origin, which works to support democracy, good governance, and human rights. The Cross Party Group also intends to enlist the support of human rights and ethics activists groups, as they see the tax as discriminatory. They maintain that the duty will deny thousands of persons the opportunity to visit their loved ones in times of distress and need.
Amid mounting concerns over the implications of the increased duty for the future of Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean delegation outlined the economic impact it has already had and the deleterious impact it will continue to have on the economies of Caribbean nations, which are dependent on tourism.
In fact, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation has reported that the number of visitors to the region from the UK has decreased since the sharp increase in the APD earlier this month. On November 1, the APD was increased from 50 pounds (US$77) to 75 pounds (US $115) for economy-class travellers to the Caribbean; and from 100 pounds (US$154) to 150 pounds (US$291) for premium economy, business and first-class passengers.
While the matter of the APD was the main focus of the discussions, the issue of heritage tourism was also explored, as the historic links between Caribbean nations, such as Jamaica, and Scotland were examined. Bartlett noted that there are various avenues for heritage tourism that will be explored with Scotland seeing so many individuals from that country are linked genealogically to Jamaica and the Caribbean through the plantation system. He thinks this reality presents an opportunity to encourage Scots to visit Jamaica in order to rediscover their roots.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...