New strategies outlined to help Caribbean holidays deal with the British travel tax
With the new rise in British travel tax already in place, members of the Caribbean holiday industry met in order to look for ways to deal with this tax increase that is potentially damaging the Caribbean holidays market.
Being now forced to face the new tax rise imposed by the British government on long-haul travel, the Barbados based Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) has proposed reforming the controversial air passenger duty (APD) imposed by Britain by charging one rate for flights within Europe and another for long haul journeys.
Before 1st November 2010, each economy class traveller going on Caribbean holidays paid £50 pounds sterling (US$77) in APD, but the tax this November was increased to £75 (US$115) -- the second increase in as many years. The levy for premium economy, business and first class passengers rose from £100 (US$154) to £150 (US$291) signalling a huge 50% increase.
The Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) reported that the CTO in a statement said a detailed analysis of how the tax is affecting Caribbean economies and recommendations for change had been presented to the British government by CTO Chairman, Richard Skerritt, who is also Minister of Tourism of St Kitts andNevis.
The APD report, “The Impact of AIr Passenger Duty and Possible Alternatives for the Caribbean," has been compiled by the CTO at the request of the British Treasury as a follow up to a delegation of six Caribbean tourism ministers who visited London in September.
Ministers representing Antigua and Barbuda holidays, Barbados holidays, Grenada holidays, Jamaica holidays, St Kitts and Nevis holidays, and St Lucia holidays met with British ministers at that time to protest against the tax that has been described as "a disgrace" by British Airways chairman Willie Walsh.
The report highlights the negative impact on Caribbean tourism and proposes a new approach to the banding structure, which would divide the world into two zones, creating a more equitable relationship between the distance travelled and the taxation of emissions.
"The APD tax is clearly a barrier to travel and tourism and we are not happy about any aspect of it. However, during our visit in September the British government asked us to provide evidence of the impact of this tax on our tourism and to suggest an alternative approach, which would be revenue neutral,” said Skerritt.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...