New strategies outlined to help Caribbean holidays deal with the British travel tax
With the new rise in British travel tax already in place, members of the Caribbean holiday industry met in order to look for ways to deal with this tax increase that is potentially damaging the Caribbean holidays market.
Being now forced to face the new tax rise imposed by the British government on long-haul travel, the Barbados based Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) has proposed reforming the controversial air passenger duty (APD) imposed by Britain by charging one rate for flights within Europe and another for long haul journeys.
Before 1st November 2010, each economy class traveller going on Caribbean holidays paid £50 pounds sterling (US$77) in APD, but the tax this November was increased to £75 (US$115) -- the second increase in as many years. The levy for premium economy, business and first class passengers rose from £100 (US$154) to £150 (US$291) signalling a huge 50% increase.
The Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) reported that the CTO in a statement said a detailed analysis of how the tax is affecting Caribbean economies and recommendations for change had been presented to the British government by CTO Chairman, Richard Skerritt, who is also Minister of Tourism of St Kitts andNevis.
The APD report, “The Impact of AIr Passenger Duty and Possible Alternatives for the Caribbean," has been compiled by the CTO at the request of the British Treasury as a follow up to a delegation of six Caribbean tourism ministers who visited London in September.
Ministers representing Antigua and Barbuda holidays, Barbados holidays, Grenada holidays, Jamaica holidays, St Kitts and Nevis holidays, and St Lucia holidays met with British ministers at that time to protest against the tax that has been described as "a disgrace" by British Airways chairman Willie Walsh.
The report highlights the negative impact on Caribbean tourism and proposes a new approach to the banding structure, which would divide the world into two zones, creating a more equitable relationship between the distance travelled and the taxation of emissions.
"The APD tax is clearly a barrier to travel and tourism and we are not happy about any aspect of it. However, during our visit in September the British government asked us to provide evidence of the impact of this tax on our tourism and to suggest an alternative approach, which would be revenue neutral,” said Skerritt.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...