New strategies outlined to help Caribbean holidays deal with the British travel tax
With the new rise in British travel tax already in place, members of the Caribbean holiday industry met in order to look for ways to deal with this tax increase that is potentially damaging the Caribbean holidays market.
Being now forced to face the new tax rise imposed by the British government on long-haul travel, the Barbados based Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) has proposed reforming the controversial air passenger duty (APD) imposed by Britain by charging one rate for flights within Europe and another for long haul journeys.
Before 1st November 2010, each economy class traveller going on Caribbean holidays paid £50 pounds sterling (US$77) in APD, but the tax this November was increased to £75 (US$115) -- the second increase in as many years. The levy for premium economy, business and first class passengers rose from £100 (US$154) to £150 (US$291) signalling a huge 50% increase.
The Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) reported that the CTO in a statement said a detailed analysis of how the tax is affecting Caribbean economies and recommendations for change had been presented to the British government by CTO Chairman, Richard Skerritt, who is also Minister of Tourism of St Kitts andNevis.
The APD report, “The Impact of AIr Passenger Duty and Possible Alternatives for the Caribbean," has been compiled by the CTO at the request of the British Treasury as a follow up to a delegation of six Caribbean tourism ministers who visited London in September.
Ministers representing Antigua and Barbuda holidays, Barbados holidays, Grenada holidays, Jamaica holidays, St Kitts and Nevis holidays, and St Lucia holidays met with British ministers at that time to protest against the tax that has been described as "a disgrace" by British Airways chairman Willie Walsh.
The report highlights the negative impact on Caribbean tourism and proposes a new approach to the banding structure, which would divide the world into two zones, creating a more equitable relationship between the distance travelled and the taxation of emissions.
"The APD tax is clearly a barrier to travel and tourism and we are not happy about any aspect of it. However, during our visit in September the British government asked us to provide evidence of the impact of this tax on our tourism and to suggest an alternative approach, which would be revenue neutral,” said Skerritt.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...