St Lucia holidays possible again as airports are fully operational after passing of Hurrican Thomas
After the passing of hurricane Tomas the weekend before last, St lucia holidays are back on track after the island has finished cleaning up streets, beaches with the minor damages to resorts having been completely restored.
Taking winter St Lucia holidays is possible once again as airports in the north and south of the island are now fully operational following the passage of Hurricane Tomas, a Category 1 storm, over the weekend ending on 2nd November.
Senator Allen Chastanet, St Lucia's Tourism and Civil Aviation Minister, reported that over the past few days St Lucians of all walks of life joined hands in "true community spirit" to clear roads, clean debris and help communities return to a state of normality.
As of Tuesday last week, the island's two airports -- Hewanorra International Airport in the south and George F. L. Charles Airport in the north of the island -- were open for business; and American Eagle had increased services at George F. L. Charles Airport to move passengers who had previously been delayed between San Juan, Puerto Rico, and St Lucia.
"We are pleased to report that major roads have been cleared and the Castries-Vieux Fort and Soufrière-Vieux Fort thoroughfares are now fully motorable," Chastanet declared, thanking the state authorities, businesses and private citizens for helping facilitate critical access between the north and the south.
Damage to St Lucia hotels was limited mainly to loss of landscaping and flooding in some accommodations although a few hotels reported some structural damage.
Electricity has been restored to 80 % of the island while power will flow to 90 % of the country by this weekend. Most St Lucia hotels and resorts currently have adequate water, and water supply should be restored in short order after detailed inspections revealed damage to the water dam is substantially less than expected. Most businesses also resumed operations this week.
Chastanet added that "incredible improvements are being made every day to clean up debris littered throughout the island while tourism stakeholders intimated no significant damage to their properties and attractions."
Buoyed by the clean-up work of the St Lucian populace, the tourism minister declared when talking about the full restoration of the St Lucia holidays industry, "We look forward to welcoming visitors by air from Europe, North America and the Caribbean with regularity from this Friday, November 5 -- a week earlier than previously forecast."
Chastanet also announced that holidays in St Lucia aboard cruise ships would resume from last Sunday, 7th November.
"Our prayers are with our brothers and sisters here and in the Eastern Caribbean who have been affected by this storm as well as those elsewhere in the region who are bracing themselves for its arrival over the next few days," said Chastanet.
The tourism minister noted the government was working with local, regional and international partners to help deliver humanitarian assistance to communities that have been affected by Hurricane Tomas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway staying on the stunning beachfront of Reduit Beach, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
- Complimentary Hi-Speed internet access in rooms and free Wi-Fi in all public areas including the beach
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 58%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
Enjoy your stay in St Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both Pitons mountains as they rise in splendour from the azure Caribbean Sea
- St. Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both the Piti & Gros Piton mountains floating upon the Caribbean Sea
- A private estate of 600 lush tropical acres bordering two soft-sand Caribbean beaches with unspoiled coral reefs just offshore
- Perfect resort for travelling divers - PADI Dive Center available
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Burrowed upon Rodney Bay, The All-inclusive Rex Papillion Hotel offers direct access to the pristine white sands of...