St Lucia holidays possible again as airports are fully operational after passing of Hurrican Thomas
After the passing of hurricane Tomas the weekend before last, St lucia holidays are back on track after the island has finished cleaning up streets, beaches with the minor damages to resorts having been completely restored.
Taking winter St Lucia holidays is possible once again as airports in the north and south of the island are now fully operational following the passage of Hurricane Tomas, a Category 1 storm, over the weekend ending on 2nd November.
Senator Allen Chastanet, St Lucia's Tourism and Civil Aviation Minister, reported that over the past few days St Lucians of all walks of life joined hands in "true community spirit" to clear roads, clean debris and help communities return to a state of normality.
As of Tuesday last week, the island's two airports -- Hewanorra International Airport in the south and George F. L. Charles Airport in the north of the island -- were open for business; and American Eagle had increased services at George F. L. Charles Airport to move passengers who had previously been delayed between San Juan, Puerto Rico, and St Lucia.
"We are pleased to report that major roads have been cleared and the Castries-Vieux Fort and Soufrière-Vieux Fort thoroughfares are now fully motorable," Chastanet declared, thanking the state authorities, businesses and private citizens for helping facilitate critical access between the north and the south.
Damage to St Lucia hotels was limited mainly to loss of landscaping and flooding in some accommodations although a few hotels reported some structural damage.
Electricity has been restored to 80 % of the island while power will flow to 90 % of the country by this weekend. Most St Lucia hotels and resorts currently have adequate water, and water supply should be restored in short order after detailed inspections revealed damage to the water dam is substantially less than expected. Most businesses also resumed operations this week.
Chastanet added that "incredible improvements are being made every day to clean up debris littered throughout the island while tourism stakeholders intimated no significant damage to their properties and attractions."
Buoyed by the clean-up work of the St Lucian populace, the tourism minister declared when talking about the full restoration of the St Lucia holidays industry, "We look forward to welcoming visitors by air from Europe, North America and the Caribbean with regularity from this Friday, November 5 -- a week earlier than previously forecast."
Chastanet also announced that holidays in St Lucia aboard cruise ships would resume from last Sunday, 7th November.
"Our prayers are with our brothers and sisters here and in the Eastern Caribbean who have been affected by this storm as well as those elsewhere in the region who are bracing themselves for its arrival over the next few days," said Chastanet.
The tourism minister noted the government was working with local, regional and international partners to help deliver humanitarian assistance to communities that have been affected by Hurricane Tomas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Check into a pretty boutique hotel and experience St Lucia's best beaches, restaurants and nightlife - you can even try your luck at Treasure Bay Casino!
- Exclusive! Book and save £500 per person!
- Perfectly placed at the heart of lively Rodney Bay Village
- Go for a de-stressing or beautifying treatment at the hotel's spa
- Enjoy a spicy island vibe at the hotel's Koko Cabana Bistro & Bar, offering regular live entertainment, barbecues & much more
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 65% in 2017 and 2018 and up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit savings when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Book one of the Honeymoon and Wedding Packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
- Unique Couples only resort designed for Honeymoons and Weddings
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...