St Lucia holidays possible again as airports are fully operational after passing of Hurrican Thomas
After the passing of hurricane Tomas the weekend before last, St lucia holidays are back on track after the island has finished cleaning up streets, beaches with the minor damages to resorts having been completely restored.
Taking winter St Lucia holidays is possible once again as airports in the north and south of the island are now fully operational following the passage of Hurricane Tomas, a Category 1 storm, over the weekend ending on 2nd November.
Senator Allen Chastanet, St Lucia's Tourism and Civil Aviation Minister, reported that over the past few days St Lucians of all walks of life joined hands in "true community spirit" to clear roads, clean debris and help communities return to a state of normality.
As of Tuesday last week, the island's two airports -- Hewanorra International Airport in the south and George F. L. Charles Airport in the north of the island -- were open for business; and American Eagle had increased services at George F. L. Charles Airport to move passengers who had previously been delayed between San Juan, Puerto Rico, and St Lucia.
"We are pleased to report that major roads have been cleared and the Castries-Vieux Fort and Soufrière-Vieux Fort thoroughfares are now fully motorable," Chastanet declared, thanking the state authorities, businesses and private citizens for helping facilitate critical access between the north and the south.
Damage to St Lucia hotels was limited mainly to loss of landscaping and flooding in some accommodations although a few hotels reported some structural damage.
Electricity has been restored to 80 % of the island while power will flow to 90 % of the country by this weekend. Most St Lucia hotels and resorts currently have adequate water, and water supply should be restored in short order after detailed inspections revealed damage to the water dam is substantially less than expected. Most businesses also resumed operations this week.
Chastanet added that "incredible improvements are being made every day to clean up debris littered throughout the island while tourism stakeholders intimated no significant damage to their properties and attractions."
Buoyed by the clean-up work of the St Lucian populace, the tourism minister declared when talking about the full restoration of the St Lucia holidays industry, "We look forward to welcoming visitors by air from Europe, North America and the Caribbean with regularity from this Friday, November 5 -- a week earlier than previously forecast."
Chastanet also announced that holidays in St Lucia aboard cruise ships would resume from last Sunday, 7th November.
"Our prayers are with our brothers and sisters here and in the Eastern Caribbean who have been affected by this storm as well as those elsewhere in the region who are bracing themselves for its arrival over the next few days," said Chastanet.
The tourism minister noted the government was working with local, regional and international partners to help deliver humanitarian assistance to communities that have been affected by Hurricane Tomas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Summer Sale with incredible savings of upto 45% in all room types until 3rd January 2019
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
Adults-only, All Inclusive Retreat with an inviting and warm atmosphere is what Bel Jou Hotel stands for
- Enjoy an array of both nature and culture excursions or relax at the Hotel Spa
- All Inclusive, Adults Only property set within lush tropical gardens with classic St. Lucian charm
- Experience Caribbean Flavour on the rooftop lounge bar and terrace with serene views over Castries and the Caribbean Sea
- Take advantage of free extras including a complimentary tour and complimentary wine in your room on arrival
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with a family and adults only section
- $1000 worth of complimentary resort credit
- Save up to a fantastic 60% plus up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
Discover Castries lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of up to 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...