Canadians and Britons give a boost to Cuba holidays
According to Granma newspaper, tourism in Cuba increased by 3% this year when compared against the same period in 2009, mainly thanks to arrivals by Canadian and British tourists, which led the rising figures.
Proving that the popularity of Cuba holidays shows no sign of slowing down, tourist visits to the island rose 3% this year from the same period a year earlier, led by arrivals from Canada and the U.K., Cuban state newspaper Granma reported.
A total of two million tourists took holidays in Cuba this year, the Cuban newspaper Granma revealed. Tourism to Cuba rose 3.5% last year to 2.4 million visitors, Jose Manuel Bisbe, commercial director for the Tourism Ministry, said.
The International Monetary Fund said Tuesday that a bill in the U.S. Congress that would lift a 47-year ban on most Americans visiting the island may overwhelm Cuban resorts with tourists if passed.
Canadians and Europeans may seek other Caribbean destinations if hotel capacity isn't sufficient to accommodate them, the IMF said.
"Long-term competition from Cuba would depend in part on whether Cuban policies fostered expansion of the tourism industry, including reducing the high travel costs now associated with tourism in Cuba," the IMF said.
Tourism revenue in Cuba increased 3.9 per cent to $815 million US in the first half of 2010, according to the country's statistics office. The island's economy is experiencing its deepest slump since the former Soviet Union withdrew support in the 1990s.
Mining, sugar and tobacco exports dropped last year, according to Cuba's statistics office. Those industries and tourism provide most of the country's foreign exchange.
In August, trying to give a boost to Cuba holidays and invest further in the travel and tourism sector, Cuba eased property laws, extending lease periods to 99 years from 50 years for foreign investors in an effort to build up tourism infrastructure and draw more visitors.
The U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee, after the 2nd November 2010 legislative elections, may draft a final version of legislation to lift the travel ban, committee chairman Howard Berman of California said in a statement released 29th September 2010.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...