Canadians and Britons give a boost to Cuba holidays
According to Granma newspaper, tourism in Cuba increased by 3% this year when compared against the same period in 2009, mainly thanks to arrivals by Canadian and British tourists, which led the rising figures.
Proving that the popularity of Cuba holidays shows no sign of slowing down, tourist visits to the island rose 3% this year from the same period a year earlier, led by arrivals from Canada and the U.K., Cuban state newspaper Granma reported.
A total of two million tourists took holidays in Cuba this year, the Cuban newspaper Granma revealed. Tourism to Cuba rose 3.5% last year to 2.4 million visitors, Jose Manuel Bisbe, commercial director for the Tourism Ministry, said.
The International Monetary Fund said Tuesday that a bill in the U.S. Congress that would lift a 47-year ban on most Americans visiting the island may overwhelm Cuban resorts with tourists if passed.
Canadians and Europeans may seek other Caribbean destinations if hotel capacity isn't sufficient to accommodate them, the IMF said.
"Long-term competition from Cuba would depend in part on whether Cuban policies fostered expansion of the tourism industry, including reducing the high travel costs now associated with tourism in Cuba," the IMF said.
Tourism revenue in Cuba increased 3.9 per cent to $815 million US in the first half of 2010, according to the country's statistics office. The island's economy is experiencing its deepest slump since the former Soviet Union withdrew support in the 1990s.
Mining, sugar and tobacco exports dropped last year, according to Cuba's statistics office. Those industries and tourism provide most of the country's foreign exchange.
In August, trying to give a boost to Cuba holidays and invest further in the travel and tourism sector, Cuba eased property laws, extending lease periods to 99 years from 50 years for foreign investors in an effort to build up tourism infrastructure and draw more visitors.
The U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee, after the 2nd November 2010 legislative elections, may draft a final version of legislation to lift the travel ban, committee chairman Howard Berman of California said in a statement released 29th September 2010.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...