Canadians and Britons give a boost to Cuba holidays
According to Granma newspaper, tourism in Cuba increased by 3% this year when compared against the same period in 2009, mainly thanks to arrivals by Canadian and British tourists, which led the rising figures.
Proving that the popularity of Cuba holidays shows no sign of slowing down, tourist visits to the island rose 3% this year from the same period a year earlier, led by arrivals from Canada and the U.K., Cuban state newspaper Granma reported.
A total of two million tourists took holidays in Cuba this year, the Cuban newspaper Granma revealed. Tourism to Cuba rose 3.5% last year to 2.4 million visitors, Jose Manuel Bisbe, commercial director for the Tourism Ministry, said.
The International Monetary Fund said Tuesday that a bill in the U.S. Congress that would lift a 47-year ban on most Americans visiting the island may overwhelm Cuban resorts with tourists if passed.
Canadians and Europeans may seek other Caribbean destinations if hotel capacity isn't sufficient to accommodate them, the IMF said.
"Long-term competition from Cuba would depend in part on whether Cuban policies fostered expansion of the tourism industry, including reducing the high travel costs now associated with tourism in Cuba," the IMF said.
Tourism revenue in Cuba increased 3.9 per cent to $815 million US in the first half of 2010, according to the country's statistics office. The island's economy is experiencing its deepest slump since the former Soviet Union withdrew support in the 1990s.
Mining, sugar and tobacco exports dropped last year, according to Cuba's statistics office. Those industries and tourism provide most of the country's foreign exchange.
In August, trying to give a boost to Cuba holidays and invest further in the travel and tourism sector, Cuba eased property laws, extending lease periods to 99 years from 50 years for foreign investors in an effort to build up tourism infrastructure and draw more visitors.
The U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee, after the 2nd November 2010 legislative elections, may draft a final version of legislation to lift the travel ban, committee chairman Howard Berman of California said in a statement released 29th September 2010.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...