Sri Lanka prepares for increase in tourist numbers over next 5 years
The number of travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays has significantly increased since the end of the civil war, and the boost in international visitor arrivals to the island-nation is set to increase even more over the next five years.
Since the civil war in Sri Lanka reached an end in 2009, the island-nation has seen a welcomed boost in visitor arrivals and international tourists enjoying Sri Lanka holidays and the country is preparing for further growth over the next five years.
Travellers are once again booking their holidays in Sri Lanka now that the security situation has changed and the Sri Lankan government has announced that they are planning to welcome 2.5 million visitors to the island annually and a series of new Sri Lanka hotels with an extra 25,000 rooms by 2016.
The Pacific Asia Travel Association has predicted that approximately 500,000 tourists will enjoy Sri Lanka holidays by the end of 2010. On its website this week, the PATA commented: "With an end to its civil war, Sri Lanka has now entered a period of relative peace and political stability and international visitors are responding with strong demand. Actual arrivals are well above the forecast for 2010 as at August."
The New York Times listed Sri Lanka as number one in the "31 places to visit in 2010" and National Geographic rated it as the second best island to visit in the world.
Sri Lanka Minister for Economic Development, Basil Rajapaksa, said that the country's tourism is expanding rapidly and he hopes that expat Sri Lankan would help promote the island-nation all over the world.
"This is an opportunity for expatriate Sri Lankans holding other citizenships, living overseas, to visit the island and bring along their friends from those countries. They will appreciate that they can visit the country without any fear for their safety and I invite them all to enjoy what Sri Lanka can offer."
Rajapaksa added that Sri Lanka was also improving its beautiful national wildlife parks and zoos as well as adding further recreation facilities and hotels for visitors.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining and nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....