Region's Tourism Ministers take common aproach to save Caribbean holidays from controversial UK tax
Caribbean countries are uniting in a common approach to establish how they will adapt to the increased Air Duty Passenger tax imposed by Britain and due to take place from November 2011.
In order to try and protect Caribbean holidays, various Caribbean Tourism Ministers have agreed on a common approach to the UK administration and its controversial forthcoming tax on airline tickets which is known as the Air Passenger Duty (APD) which is set to increase this November.
According to tourism industry experts, the tax, which has already affected UK visitor arrivals to Caribbean holidays will deal a blow on the economies of the region and other developing countries.
To face the situation, St Lucia’s Tourism Minister, Honourable Allan Chastanet, says his regional counterparts have all agreed to implement some decisive plans to ensure that the Caribbean’s position is well represented at ongoing negotiations on the controversial travel tax.
Under the classification economy class, UK passengers travelling to St Lucia holidays and other holiday destinations in the Caribbean will be subject to paying an additional 70 to 150 pounds on their plane tickets.
“The next step for us is continuing our bilateral discussions with the UK government. We have always indicated we do not have a difficulty with any government that wants to raise revenue through taxation. The problem arises when taxation is done in a manner where it prejudices trade, or discriminates against trade in this region—that is our concern.”
“We think the four bands leaves a lot to be desired. I don’t think anyone needs to be a brain surgeon to realise our concern when the tax is increased to the extent, that a premium economy class tickets will increase the cost by $EC600.”
Minister Chastanet says Caribbean tourism ministers have decided to launch a formal complaint with the World Trade Organisation (WTO) against the UK government because the Airport Passenger Duty (APD) is discriminatory in nature.
"A study was done which confirms to us that this tax does infringe on GATT, because it is discriminatory. If you look at the example of Turkey and Egypt, the APD on Turkey will be between 12 to 24 pounds sterling. For Egypt which is right next to Turkey, it is going to be between 60 to 120 pounds. Clearly, there is also the a situation where people can come to the Caribbean and pay between 70 to 150 pounds versus going to Hawaii where they will pay between 60 to 120 pounds. Indeed, there are numerous examples to show that this tax is discriminatory that is why we are preparing a paper to file the complaint with the WTO.”
The Air Passenger Duty (APD) is an excise duty which is charged on the carriage of passengers flying from a United Kingdom airport on an aircraft that has an authorized take off weight of more than ten tones or more than twenty seats for passengers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...