Region's Tourism Ministers take common aproach to save Caribbean holidays from controversial UK tax
Caribbean countries are uniting in a common approach to establish how they will adapt to the increased Air Duty Passenger tax imposed by Britain and due to take place from November 2011.
In order to try and protect Caribbean holidays, various Caribbean Tourism Ministers have agreed on a common approach to the UK administration and its controversial forthcoming tax on airline tickets which is known as the Air Passenger Duty (APD) which is set to increase this November.
According to tourism industry experts, the tax, which has already affected UK visitor arrivals to Caribbean holidays will deal a blow on the economies of the region and other developing countries.
To face the situation, St Lucia’s Tourism Minister, Honourable Allan Chastanet, says his regional counterparts have all agreed to implement some decisive plans to ensure that the Caribbean’s position is well represented at ongoing negotiations on the controversial travel tax.
Under the classification economy class, UK passengers travelling to St Lucia holidays and other holiday destinations in the Caribbean will be subject to paying an additional 70 to 150 pounds on their plane tickets.
“The next step for us is continuing our bilateral discussions with the UK government. We have always indicated we do not have a difficulty with any government that wants to raise revenue through taxation. The problem arises when taxation is done in a manner where it prejudices trade, or discriminates against trade in this region—that is our concern.”
“We think the four bands leaves a lot to be desired. I don’t think anyone needs to be a brain surgeon to realise our concern when the tax is increased to the extent, that a premium economy class tickets will increase the cost by $EC600.”
Minister Chastanet says Caribbean tourism ministers have decided to launch a formal complaint with the World Trade Organisation (WTO) against the UK government because the Airport Passenger Duty (APD) is discriminatory in nature.
"A study was done which confirms to us that this tax does infringe on GATT, because it is discriminatory. If you look at the example of Turkey and Egypt, the APD on Turkey will be between 12 to 24 pounds sterling. For Egypt which is right next to Turkey, it is going to be between 60 to 120 pounds. Clearly, there is also the a situation where people can come to the Caribbean and pay between 70 to 150 pounds versus going to Hawaii where they will pay between 60 to 120 pounds. Indeed, there are numerous examples to show that this tax is discriminatory that is why we are preparing a paper to file the complaint with the WTO.”
The Air Passenger Duty (APD) is an excise duty which is charged on the carriage of passengers flying from a United Kingdom airport on an aircraft that has an authorized take off weight of more than ten tones or more than twenty seats for passengers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your next summer holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...