Region's Tourism Ministers take common aproach to save Caribbean holidays from controversial UK tax
Caribbean countries are uniting in a common approach to establish how they will adapt to the increased Air Duty Passenger tax imposed by Britain and due to take place from November 2011.
In order to try and protect Caribbean holidays, various Caribbean Tourism Ministers have agreed on a common approach to the UK administration and its controversial forthcoming tax on airline tickets which is known as the Air Passenger Duty (APD) which is set to increase this November.
According to tourism industry experts, the tax, which has already affected UK visitor arrivals to Caribbean holidays will deal a blow on the economies of the region and other developing countries.
To face the situation, St Lucia’s Tourism Minister, Honourable Allan Chastanet, says his regional counterparts have all agreed to implement some decisive plans to ensure that the Caribbean’s position is well represented at ongoing negotiations on the controversial travel tax.
Under the classification economy class, UK passengers travelling to St Lucia holidays and other holiday destinations in the Caribbean will be subject to paying an additional 70 to 150 pounds on their plane tickets.
“The next step for us is continuing our bilateral discussions with the UK government. We have always indicated we do not have a difficulty with any government that wants to raise revenue through taxation. The problem arises when taxation is done in a manner where it prejudices trade, or discriminates against trade in this region—that is our concern.”
“We think the four bands leaves a lot to be desired. I don’t think anyone needs to be a brain surgeon to realise our concern when the tax is increased to the extent, that a premium economy class tickets will increase the cost by $EC600.”
Minister Chastanet says Caribbean tourism ministers have decided to launch a formal complaint with the World Trade Organisation (WTO) against the UK government because the Airport Passenger Duty (APD) is discriminatory in nature.
"A study was done which confirms to us that this tax does infringe on GATT, because it is discriminatory. If you look at the example of Turkey and Egypt, the APD on Turkey will be between 12 to 24 pounds sterling. For Egypt which is right next to Turkey, it is going to be between 60 to 120 pounds. Clearly, there is also the a situation where people can come to the Caribbean and pay between 70 to 150 pounds versus going to Hawaii where they will pay between 60 to 120 pounds. Indeed, there are numerous examples to show that this tax is discriminatory that is why we are preparing a paper to file the complaint with the WTO.”
The Air Passenger Duty (APD) is an excise duty which is charged on the carriage of passengers flying from a United Kingdom airport on an aircraft that has an authorized take off weight of more than ten tones or more than twenty seats for passengers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...