Cameron meets Trinidad PM and shows commitment to the Caribbean holidays market
Having welcomed Trinidanian PM, Kamla Persad-Bissessar, British PM David Cameron stressed his commmitment to the Caribbean. During her time at 10 Downing Street, Bissessar raised the issue of the rising APD charge and Cameron promised to review it.
Promising to review the APD charges that are soon due to come into force as from November this year, and which would badly affect the Caribbean holidays market, British Prime Minister David Cameron recently stated his commitment to the Caribbean during a meeting with Trinidad and Tobago's Prime Minister; Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
During the meeting, Bissessar, negotiated with the British prime minister and foreign minister for assistance for small Caribbean and Commonwealth countries.
Kamla Persad Bissessar met Prime Minister David Cameron and Foreign Minister William Hague at 10 Downing Street on Friday and raised the issue of the air passenger duty (APD); the role of the Commonwealth in relation to smaller nations, while emphasising the need to ensure "common wealth" in the Commonwealth, especially since some 700 million people lived on US$1 a day; and the matter of strengthening of UK/Caribbean relations.
A government press release said that the British prime minister and foreign affairs minister were impressed with the strength of Persad Bissessar's argument on the issue of the APD and have given a commitment to impress upon the Treasury to revisit the level of these duties.
The British leader was keen to show that the Caribbean was important to him and his government and assured that the UK/Caribbean forum would be held next year.
On the issue of the Commonwealth, Cameron said he too was keen to support and strengthen the Commonwealth and address some of the issues raised by Persad Bissessar, especially as it relates to poorer states and the development of children.
The Trinidad prime minister assured her British counterpart that her government was keen to preserve the good relationship between the two nations.
The Trinidad and Tobago leader, two other ministers of government and several officials have been in the United Kingdom since last Monday and have held discussions with top business executives, trying to woo them to invest in her country.
She also addressed Trinidadians living in the UK.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning varadero beach, getting the best of both during Easter 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre Easter holiday package deal
- The elegant distrrict of Miramar and the pristine beach of Varadero provide the perfect settings for exploring the charm and beauty of Cuba
- Boasts facilities, activities, excursions and entertainment for every taste
- A spacious, classy and comfortable feel
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...