Cameron meets Trinidad PM and shows commitment to the Caribbean holidays market
Having welcomed Trinidanian PM, Kamla Persad-Bissessar, British PM David Cameron stressed his commmitment to the Caribbean. During her time at 10 Downing Street, Bissessar raised the issue of the rising APD charge and Cameron promised to review it.
Promising to review the APD charges that are soon due to come into force as from November this year, and which would badly affect the Caribbean holidays market, British Prime Minister David Cameron recently stated his commitment to the Caribbean during a meeting with Trinidad and Tobago's Prime Minister; Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
During the meeting, Bissessar, negotiated with the British prime minister and foreign minister for assistance for small Caribbean and Commonwealth countries.
Kamla Persad Bissessar met Prime Minister David Cameron and Foreign Minister William Hague at 10 Downing Street on Friday and raised the issue of the air passenger duty (APD); the role of the Commonwealth in relation to smaller nations, while emphasising the need to ensure "common wealth" in the Commonwealth, especially since some 700 million people lived on US$1 a day; and the matter of strengthening of UK/Caribbean relations.
A government press release said that the British prime minister and foreign affairs minister were impressed with the strength of Persad Bissessar's argument on the issue of the APD and have given a commitment to impress upon the Treasury to revisit the level of these duties.
The British leader was keen to show that the Caribbean was important to him and his government and assured that the UK/Caribbean forum would be held next year.
On the issue of the Commonwealth, Cameron said he too was keen to support and strengthen the Commonwealth and address some of the issues raised by Persad Bissessar, especially as it relates to poorer states and the development of children.
The Trinidad prime minister assured her British counterpart that her government was keen to preserve the good relationship between the two nations.
The Trinidad and Tobago leader, two other ministers of government and several officials have been in the United Kingdom since last Monday and have held discussions with top business executives, trying to woo them to invest in her country.
She also addressed Trinidadians living in the UK.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...