Cameron meets Trinidad PM and shows commitment to the Caribbean holidays market
Having welcomed Trinidanian PM, Kamla Persad-Bissessar, British PM David Cameron stressed his commmitment to the Caribbean. During her time at 10 Downing Street, Bissessar raised the issue of the rising APD charge and Cameron promised to review it.
Promising to review the APD charges that are soon due to come into force as from November this year, and which would badly affect the Caribbean holidays market, British Prime Minister David Cameron recently stated his commitment to the Caribbean during a meeting with Trinidad and Tobago's Prime Minister; Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
During the meeting, Bissessar, negotiated with the British prime minister and foreign minister for assistance for small Caribbean and Commonwealth countries.
Kamla Persad Bissessar met Prime Minister David Cameron and Foreign Minister William Hague at 10 Downing Street on Friday and raised the issue of the air passenger duty (APD); the role of the Commonwealth in relation to smaller nations, while emphasising the need to ensure "common wealth" in the Commonwealth, especially since some 700 million people lived on US$1 a day; and the matter of strengthening of UK/Caribbean relations.
A government press release said that the British prime minister and foreign affairs minister were impressed with the strength of Persad Bissessar's argument on the issue of the APD and have given a commitment to impress upon the Treasury to revisit the level of these duties.
The British leader was keen to show that the Caribbean was important to him and his government and assured that the UK/Caribbean forum would be held next year.
On the issue of the Commonwealth, Cameron said he too was keen to support and strengthen the Commonwealth and address some of the issues raised by Persad Bissessar, especially as it relates to poorer states and the development of children.
The Trinidad prime minister assured her British counterpart that her government was keen to preserve the good relationship between the two nations.
The Trinidad and Tobago leader, two other ministers of government and several officials have been in the United Kingdom since last Monday and have held discussions with top business executives, trying to woo them to invest in her country.
She also addressed Trinidadians living in the UK.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...