Cameron meets Trinidad PM and shows commitment to the Caribbean holidays market
Having welcomed Trinidanian PM, Kamla Persad-Bissessar, British PM David Cameron stressed his commmitment to the Caribbean. During her time at 10 Downing Street, Bissessar raised the issue of the rising APD charge and Cameron promised to review it.
Promising to review the APD charges that are soon due to come into force as from November this year, and which would badly affect the Caribbean holidays market, British Prime Minister David Cameron recently stated his commitment to the Caribbean during a meeting with Trinidad and Tobago's Prime Minister; Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
During the meeting, Bissessar, negotiated with the British prime minister and foreign minister for assistance for small Caribbean and Commonwealth countries.
Kamla Persad Bissessar met Prime Minister David Cameron and Foreign Minister William Hague at 10 Downing Street on Friday and raised the issue of the air passenger duty (APD); the role of the Commonwealth in relation to smaller nations, while emphasising the need to ensure "common wealth" in the Commonwealth, especially since some 700 million people lived on US$1 a day; and the matter of strengthening of UK/Caribbean relations.
A government press release said that the British prime minister and foreign affairs minister were impressed with the strength of Persad Bissessar's argument on the issue of the APD and have given a commitment to impress upon the Treasury to revisit the level of these duties.
The British leader was keen to show that the Caribbean was important to him and his government and assured that the UK/Caribbean forum would be held next year.
On the issue of the Commonwealth, Cameron said he too was keen to support and strengthen the Commonwealth and address some of the issues raised by Persad Bissessar, especially as it relates to poorer states and the development of children.
The Trinidad prime minister assured her British counterpart that her government was keen to preserve the good relationship between the two nations.
The Trinidad and Tobago leader, two other ministers of government and several officials have been in the United Kingdom since last Monday and have held discussions with top business executives, trying to woo them to invest in her country.
She also addressed Trinidadians living in the UK.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Save £450 per person with our current Flash Sale.
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...