Cuba holidays no longer on hurrican alert as Paula becomes a weakened storm
After hurricane Paula was downgraded to a category 1 tropical storm yesterday, Cuba now expects its weakened passing with some scattered heavy rains in the most western-point of the island, having very little impact on the island's eastern beach resorts.
Today, minor amounts of scattered rains and moderate winds are likely to affect Cuba's most western-point cities like Havana and Pinar del Rio, causing minimal disruption to those already enjoying Cuba holidays there and giving a white flat to those that had planned travel to the island in the following days.
Since yesterday Cuba holidays are no longer on "hurricane watch" but on "storm alert" now as weakened Paula approaches the western tip of the island. The island had put residents on alert Wednesday as a weakened Hurricane Paula neared the island after drenching Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, officials said.
The storm, which was downgraded to category 1 earlier in the day, was on track to hit western portions of Cuba and en route to the Florida Keys, forecasters said, which put Cancun holidays out of the danger zone as the hurricane diverted its path.
Cuba's civil defence called on coastal residents in Pinar del Rio to take precautions and said the storm may also cause damage to the capital city Havana, the provinces of La Habana and the Isle of Youth.
Paula was expected to bring at least three (seven centimetres) to six inches (15 centimetres) of rain to Cuba, with isolated maximum amounts of 10 inches (25 centimetres), it added. The centre also said a hurricane warning was in effect for Cuba's Pinar del Rio province and tropical storm warning for other sections of Cuba. However those enjoying beach holidays in Cuba in the eastern side of the country are not likely to be affected by the unsettled, rainy climate.
Earlier, Mexico had lifted its highest red-level alert after the storm swept within miles (kilometres) of resort areas where some 27,000 tourists were staying, causing no serious damage and welcoming travellers back to safe Cancun holidays.
"The hurricane came very close but didn't cause major damage to the coastlines," said Felix Gonzalez, governor of southeastern Quintana Roo state.
Paula could be the first hurricane of the Atlantic season to make landfall in Cuba, which was slammed in 2008 by a trio of major hurricanes, causing some 10 billion dollars in damage.
Paula is the ninth hurricane of the June-through-November Atlantic season. The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) had predicted an especially stormy 2010, with 14 to 23 named storms for this season, including eight to 14 hurricanes.
So far, on average, there are 11 named storms, six of which become hurricanes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...