Cuba holidays no longer on hurrican alert as Paula becomes a weakened storm
After hurricane Paula was downgraded to a category 1 tropical storm yesterday, Cuba now expects its weakened passing with some scattered heavy rains in the most western-point of the island, having very little impact on the island's eastern beach resorts.
Today, minor amounts of scattered rains and moderate winds are likely to affect Cuba's most western-point cities like Havana and Pinar del Rio, causing minimal disruption to those already enjoying Cuba holidays there and giving a white flat to those that had planned travel to the island in the following days.
Since yesterday Cuba holidays are no longer on "hurricane watch" but on "storm alert" now as weakened Paula approaches the western tip of the island. The island had put residents on alert Wednesday as a weakened Hurricane Paula neared the island after drenching Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, officials said.
The storm, which was downgraded to category 1 earlier in the day, was on track to hit western portions of Cuba and en route to the Florida Keys, forecasters said, which put Cancun holidays out of the danger zone as the hurricane diverted its path.
Cuba's civil defence called on coastal residents in Pinar del Rio to take precautions and said the storm may also cause damage to the capital city Havana, the provinces of La Habana and the Isle of Youth.
Paula was expected to bring at least three (seven centimetres) to six inches (15 centimetres) of rain to Cuba, with isolated maximum amounts of 10 inches (25 centimetres), it added. The centre also said a hurricane warning was in effect for Cuba's Pinar del Rio province and tropical storm warning for other sections of Cuba. However those enjoying beach holidays in Cuba in the eastern side of the country are not likely to be affected by the unsettled, rainy climate.
Earlier, Mexico had lifted its highest red-level alert after the storm swept within miles (kilometres) of resort areas where some 27,000 tourists were staying, causing no serious damage and welcoming travellers back to safe Cancun holidays.
"The hurricane came very close but didn't cause major damage to the coastlines," said Felix Gonzalez, governor of southeastern Quintana Roo state.
Paula could be the first hurricane of the Atlantic season to make landfall in Cuba, which was slammed in 2008 by a trio of major hurricanes, causing some 10 billion dollars in damage.
Paula is the ninth hurricane of the June-through-November Atlantic season. The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) had predicted an especially stormy 2010, with 14 to 23 named storms for this season, including eight to 14 hurricanes.
So far, on average, there are 11 named storms, six of which become hurricanes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...