Cuba holidays no longer on hurrican alert as Paula becomes a weakened storm
After hurricane Paula was downgraded to a category 1 tropical storm yesterday, Cuba now expects its weakened passing with some scattered heavy rains in the most western-point of the island, having very little impact on the island's eastern beach resorts.
Today, minor amounts of scattered rains and moderate winds are likely to affect Cuba's most western-point cities like Havana and Pinar del Rio, causing minimal disruption to those already enjoying Cuba holidays there and giving a white flat to those that had planned travel to the island in the following days.
Since yesterday Cuba holidays are no longer on "hurricane watch" but on "storm alert" now as weakened Paula approaches the western tip of the island. The island had put residents on alert Wednesday as a weakened Hurricane Paula neared the island after drenching Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, officials said.
The storm, which was downgraded to category 1 earlier in the day, was on track to hit western portions of Cuba and en route to the Florida Keys, forecasters said, which put Cancun holidays out of the danger zone as the hurricane diverted its path.
Cuba's civil defence called on coastal residents in Pinar del Rio to take precautions and said the storm may also cause damage to the capital city Havana, the provinces of La Habana and the Isle of Youth.
Paula was expected to bring at least three (seven centimetres) to six inches (15 centimetres) of rain to Cuba, with isolated maximum amounts of 10 inches (25 centimetres), it added. The centre also said a hurricane warning was in effect for Cuba's Pinar del Rio province and tropical storm warning for other sections of Cuba. However those enjoying beach holidays in Cuba in the eastern side of the country are not likely to be affected by the unsettled, rainy climate.
Earlier, Mexico had lifted its highest red-level alert after the storm swept within miles (kilometres) of resort areas where some 27,000 tourists were staying, causing no serious damage and welcoming travellers back to safe Cancun holidays.
"The hurricane came very close but didn't cause major damage to the coastlines," said Felix Gonzalez, governor of southeastern Quintana Roo state.
Paula could be the first hurricane of the Atlantic season to make landfall in Cuba, which was slammed in 2008 by a trio of major hurricanes, causing some 10 billion dollars in damage.
Paula is the ninth hurricane of the June-through-November Atlantic season. The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) had predicted an especially stormy 2010, with 14 to 23 named storms for this season, including eight to 14 hurricanes.
So far, on average, there are 11 named storms, six of which become hurricanes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...