Continuing to diversify Barbados holidays' tourism product
During the recent Caribbean Tourism Organisation Leadership Strategy Conference, Barbados Prime Minister revealed how the industry of Barbados holidays was facing the challenges of the economic turn down full on, with a set of newly introduced strategies
It looks like the industry of Barbados holidays is meeting the challenges of the current economic climate head on with a new set of initiatives to drive more tourism to the island being continually introduced.
Acting Prime Minister, Freundel Stuart, confirmed the efforts and full drive the island is putting in promoting holidays in Barbados during the speech he delivered during the Caribbean Tourism Organisation's Leadership Strategy Conference at Hilton Barbados.
Mr. Stuart said: "This country continues to work to diversify its tourism source markets by exploring new [destinations] in Europe, Latin America, and even China. At the same time, we are attempting to develop a new clientele, within the traditional source markets in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. A great deal of work is being done to develop services out of both western USA and Canada, and we're looking to develop further markets in the northern United Kingdom."
However, Mr. Stuart also indicated that on the regional front, the cost, reliability and connectivity of Caribbean airlift continued "to be a source of, and cause for, concern".
In light of this, he stressed the importance of attracting and maintaining international airlift, noting that this was critical to the sector. Mr. Stuart further suggested that the eastern Caribbean needed better feeder connections to the southern and western Caribbean and Latin America, to provide equally efficient, and reliable inter connection opportunities for international airline passengers.
The Acting Prime Minister maintained that the current economic climate had taught tourism planners that no market was sacrosanct. He surmised that the adverse economic conditions could affect any country and any client "at any time". Consequently, he suggested that destinations like Barbados must be prepared to extract the highest possible benefit from economies that remain strong or have become strong, "wherever those economies may be".
Mr. Stuart warned that although regional states were concerned about the air passenger duty (APD), the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme was potentially even more devastating. He said the Scheme "aimed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from aviation, first by increasing the required fuel efficiencies of aircraft, and by discouraging the flying of unnecessary routes, or under patronised planes". These measures, he stated, would, "in the long term, even more seriously undermine tourism growth."
The Acting Prime Minister told the audience of regional delegates that Barbados had also been responsive to developments in the air transport sector and had sought to realise the opportunities to be derived from partnerships with two North American low-cost airlines. West Jet and JetBlue, currently offer year-round scheduled services into Barbados, with the latter offering a daily service.
Furthermore, he also disclosed that the Barbados travel industry had been working with the Brazilian carrier GOL, and in June this year had commenced a weekly service out of Sao Paulo.
The acting Prime Minister further disclosed that international transport was one of the challenges facing Small Island Developing States; with problems ranging from limited routes, uncompetitive pricing and inefficient airline operation, all hindering a smooth transport service for Barbados holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- July Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Beachfront Property a short walk from the popular St Lawrence Gap
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...