Progress remains slow for Indian Ocean tourism cooperation
With the number of travellers enjoying Indian Ocean holidays increasing over recent years, island nations of the Seychelles, Mauritius, Reunion and Comoros, could stand united and lead the destination into the top spot, but it seems cooperation is slow.
Despite providing equally luxury Indian Ocean holidays for travellers, the islands of Mauritius, Reunion, Seychelles and Comoros are struggling to join forces and help lead the travel destination on a united front.
Over recent years, the islands have each launched marketing initiatives at the same time or close to each other, causing irritation.
On 15th December in 2006, the Seychelles launched its new tourism logo "The Seychelles islands – another world". Five days later on 20th December, the Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) also launched their new tourism slogan, "Mauritius, a world apart from the world".
The clash of tourism slogans sparked a "war of words" between the neighbouring islands and resulted in Mauritius dropping their slogan to a French-only campaign and two changes of the tourism slogan in the years since.
Later this month, Seychelles is scheduled to host the 6th edition of the economic forum of the Indian Ocean states and main issues dominating the forum include "regional economic and commercial integration" and tourism label for the Indian Ocean destination.
Chairman of the Seychelles Hospitality and Tourism Association, Louis D'Offay, believes that
"our Indian Ocean islands are not yet mentally ready to say that we need to work together. Lip service to this noble proposal is still too much in evidence."
Last month, D'Offay led a Seychelles delegation to meet Mauritius officials with the hope to discuss plans for "Vanilla Islands grouping" but the outcome was not as successful as anticipated.
D'Offay also emphasised that if the Seychelles are going to stand out and attract more travellers to take Indian Ocean holidays, all beaches must "remain accessible to all our visitors" and "Beaches must remain public and gates barring public access to hotels as is the case in Mauritius must be discouraged."
The region's leading air carriers have discovered the potential in joining forces and a few years ago they launched the "Indian Ocean Pass" which enables tourists enjoying Seychelles holidays, Mauritius holidays and vacations in surrounding Indian Ocean island to "island-hop" and make the most out of their luxury breaks while boosting tourism in each nation and promoting regional integration.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Indian Ocean Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Longbeach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....