Progress remains slow for Indian Ocean tourism cooperation
With the number of travellers enjoying Indian Ocean holidays increasing over recent years, island nations of the Seychelles, Mauritius, Reunion and Comoros, could stand united and lead the destination into the top spot, but it seems cooperation is slow.
Despite providing equally luxury Indian Ocean holidays for travellers, the islands of Mauritius, Reunion, Seychelles and Comoros are struggling to join forces and help lead the travel destination on a united front.
Over recent years, the islands have each launched marketing initiatives at the same time or close to each other, causing irritation.
On 15th December in 2006, the Seychelles launched its new tourism logo "The Seychelles islands – another world". Five days later on 20th December, the Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) also launched their new tourism slogan, "Mauritius, a world apart from the world".
The clash of tourism slogans sparked a "war of words" between the neighbouring islands and resulted in Mauritius dropping their slogan to a French-only campaign and two changes of the tourism slogan in the years since.
Later this month, Seychelles is scheduled to host the 6th edition of the economic forum of the Indian Ocean states and main issues dominating the forum include "regional economic and commercial integration" and tourism label for the Indian Ocean destination.
Chairman of the Seychelles Hospitality and Tourism Association, Louis D'Offay, believes that
"our Indian Ocean islands are not yet mentally ready to say that we need to work together. Lip service to this noble proposal is still too much in evidence."
Last month, D'Offay led a Seychelles delegation to meet Mauritius officials with the hope to discuss plans for "Vanilla Islands grouping" but the outcome was not as successful as anticipated.
D'Offay also emphasised that if the Seychelles are going to stand out and attract more travellers to take Indian Ocean holidays, all beaches must "remain accessible to all our visitors" and "Beaches must remain public and gates barring public access to hotels as is the case in Mauritius must be discouraged."
The region's leading air carriers have discovered the potential in joining forces and a few years ago they launched the "Indian Ocean Pass" which enables tourists enjoying Seychelles holidays, Mauritius holidays and vacations in surrounding Indian Ocean island to "island-hop" and make the most out of their luxury breaks while boosting tourism in each nation and promoting regional integration.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Indian Ocean Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Be moved by India's icons; from the majestic Taj Mahal to the natural beauty of Keoladeo National Park - this is India at its best.
- Experience the Royal Maharaja lifestyle with a stay in a wonderful Bharatpur Palace
- Discover the magnificent City Palace Museum and enjoy an authentic Rajasthani feast in Jaipur
- See Humayun's Tomb in Delhi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the first garden-tomb on the Indian subcontinent
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than the Sri Lankan town...