Progress remains slow for Indian Ocean tourism cooperation
With the number of travellers enjoying Indian Ocean holidays increasing over recent years, island nations of the Seychelles, Mauritius, Reunion and Comoros, could stand united and lead the destination into the top spot, but it seems cooperation is slow.
Despite providing equally luxury Indian Ocean holidays for travellers, the islands of Mauritius, Reunion, Seychelles and Comoros are struggling to join forces and help lead the travel destination on a united front.
Over recent years, the islands have each launched marketing initiatives at the same time or close to each other, causing irritation.
On 15th December in 2006, the Seychelles launched its new tourism logo "The Seychelles islands – another world". Five days later on 20th December, the Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MTPA) also launched their new tourism slogan, "Mauritius, a world apart from the world".
The clash of tourism slogans sparked a "war of words" between the neighbouring islands and resulted in Mauritius dropping their slogan to a French-only campaign and two changes of the tourism slogan in the years since.
Later this month, Seychelles is scheduled to host the 6th edition of the economic forum of the Indian Ocean states and main issues dominating the forum include "regional economic and commercial integration" and tourism label for the Indian Ocean destination.
Chairman of the Seychelles Hospitality and Tourism Association, Louis D'Offay, believes that
"our Indian Ocean islands are not yet mentally ready to say that we need to work together. Lip service to this noble proposal is still too much in evidence."
Last month, D'Offay led a Seychelles delegation to meet Mauritius officials with the hope to discuss plans for "Vanilla Islands grouping" but the outcome was not as successful as anticipated.
D'Offay also emphasised that if the Seychelles are going to stand out and attract more travellers to take Indian Ocean holidays, all beaches must "remain accessible to all our visitors" and "Beaches must remain public and gates barring public access to hotels as is the case in Mauritius must be discouraged."
The region's leading air carriers have discovered the potential in joining forces and a few years ago they launched the "Indian Ocean Pass" which enables tourists enjoying Seychelles holidays, Mauritius holidays and vacations in surrounding Indian Ocean island to "island-hop" and make the most out of their luxury breaks while boosting tourism in each nation and promoting regional integration.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Indian Ocean Browse all
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities (*surcharge may apply)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages all come included in the price of your stay
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Uncover the unique charm of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites on this...
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...