More connections to Cancun holidays as Mexicana plans to resume flights in December
After having ceased operations in August 2010, Mexicana Airlines is now seeking to resume worldwide flights by December while laying off half its workforce in order to make the resumed operations profitable enough to remain in the market.
Mexicana Airlines, otherwise known as Compania Mexicana de Aviación SA, is currently considering plans to shed half of its workforce in effort to regain operational profitability as it seeks to return to the skies in December 2010.
The national flag carrier, responsible for taking thousands of worldwide travellers to Mexico holidays in Cancun, Mexico City and many other popular holiday destinations, had ceased operations in August this year and filed for bankruptcy protection in Mexico and the United States. However, as part of its recovery plan, the Mexico City-based carrier is considering the elimination of 3,900 jobs and over half of its aircraft.
The new leaner airline would fly to just 30 aircraft on 23 routes, six of them domestic and 17 international, mostly to the US and Canada.
Addressing a labour conference in Mexico labour secretary Javier Lozano acknowledged that, while the task would not be easy, “there is a willingness among business leaders and the unions of pilots, flight attendants and ground employees’ to resume operations”.
The lans involve signing a new collective bargaining agreement that will be overseen by the government to ensure that work conditions and job cuts comply with the law.
Subsidiaries MexicanaLink and MexicanaClick would be eliminated and Mexicana is also likely to face intense competition to recapture its market if it is able to resume operations.
American Airlines confirmed earlier this week it would seek to fill the void left by the airline, announcing a host of new routes.
These include boosting daily round trips between Dallas/Forth Worth and Mexico City from four to five from November 18th, with round trips between Miami and Mexico City increasing to four a day.
Daily roundtrip connecting Miami to Cancun holidays will also increase from 4 trips on weekdays and 5 on weekends to 5 every day of the week from 10th February , 2011, the airline also on confirmed.
Furthermore, on 16th December, one new flight will be added between Chicago and Mexico City while subsidiary American Eagle is also stepping up its offering, increasing services to Guadalajara, Aguascalientes, Veracruz and Queretaro.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...