More connections to Cancun holidays as Mexicana plans to resume flights in December
After having ceased operations in August 2010, Mexicana Airlines is now seeking to resume worldwide flights by December while laying off half its workforce in order to make the resumed operations profitable enough to remain in the market.
Mexicana Airlines, otherwise known as Compania Mexicana de Aviación SA, is currently considering plans to shed half of its workforce in effort to regain operational profitability as it seeks to return to the skies in December 2010.
The national flag carrier, responsible for taking thousands of worldwide travellers to Mexico holidays in Cancun, Mexico City and many other popular holiday destinations, had ceased operations in August this year and filed for bankruptcy protection in Mexico and the United States. However, as part of its recovery plan, the Mexico City-based carrier is considering the elimination of 3,900 jobs and over half of its aircraft.
The new leaner airline would fly to just 30 aircraft on 23 routes, six of them domestic and 17 international, mostly to the US and Canada.
Addressing a labour conference in Mexico labour secretary Javier Lozano acknowledged that, while the task would not be easy, “there is a willingness among business leaders and the unions of pilots, flight attendants and ground employees’ to resume operations”.
The lans involve signing a new collective bargaining agreement that will be overseen by the government to ensure that work conditions and job cuts comply with the law.
Subsidiaries MexicanaLink and MexicanaClick would be eliminated and Mexicana is also likely to face intense competition to recapture its market if it is able to resume operations.
American Airlines confirmed earlier this week it would seek to fill the void left by the airline, announcing a host of new routes.
These include boosting daily round trips between Dallas/Forth Worth and Mexico City from four to five from November 18th, with round trips between Miami and Mexico City increasing to four a day.
Daily roundtrip connecting Miami to Cancun holidays will also increase from 4 trips on weekdays and 5 on weekends to 5 every day of the week from 10th February , 2011, the airline also on confirmed.
Furthermore, on 16th December, one new flight will be added between Chicago and Mexico City while subsidiary American Eagle is also stepping up its offering, increasing services to Guadalajara, Aguascalientes, Veracruz and Queretaro.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Add a VIP package, including No.1 Gatwick Lounge Access, Dubai Airport Fast Track and tickets to Burj Khalifa, from £99 per person
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...