More connections to Cancun holidays as Mexicana plans to resume flights in December
After having ceased operations in August 2010, Mexicana Airlines is now seeking to resume worldwide flights by December while laying off half its workforce in order to make the resumed operations profitable enough to remain in the market.
Mexicana Airlines, otherwise known as Compania Mexicana de Aviación SA, is currently considering plans to shed half of its workforce in effort to regain operational profitability as it seeks to return to the skies in December 2010.
The national flag carrier, responsible for taking thousands of worldwide travellers to Mexico holidays in Cancun, Mexico City and many other popular holiday destinations, had ceased operations in August this year and filed for bankruptcy protection in Mexico and the United States. However, as part of its recovery plan, the Mexico City-based carrier is considering the elimination of 3,900 jobs and over half of its aircraft.
The new leaner airline would fly to just 30 aircraft on 23 routes, six of them domestic and 17 international, mostly to the US and Canada.
Addressing a labour conference in Mexico labour secretary Javier Lozano acknowledged that, while the task would not be easy, “there is a willingness among business leaders and the unions of pilots, flight attendants and ground employees’ to resume operations”.
The lans involve signing a new collective bargaining agreement that will be overseen by the government to ensure that work conditions and job cuts comply with the law.
Subsidiaries MexicanaLink and MexicanaClick would be eliminated and Mexicana is also likely to face intense competition to recapture its market if it is able to resume operations.
American Airlines confirmed earlier this week it would seek to fill the void left by the airline, announcing a host of new routes.
These include boosting daily round trips between Dallas/Forth Worth and Mexico City from four to five from November 18th, with round trips between Miami and Mexico City increasing to four a day.
Daily roundtrip connecting Miami to Cancun holidays will also increase from 4 trips on weekdays and 5 on weekends to 5 every day of the week from 10th February , 2011, the airline also on confirmed.
Furthermore, on 16th December, one new flight will be added between Chicago and Mexico City while subsidiary American Eagle is also stepping up its offering, increasing services to Guadalajara, Aguascalientes, Veracruz and Queretaro.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...