A national monument restored for the enjoyment of Cuba holidays in Cienfuegos
Those embarking on Cuba holidays in the central city of Cienfuegos will be able to enjoy a newly-restored fortress and castle, dating back to the pirates era. The renovation works on the castle are due to be finished by the end of this year.
Visitors enjoying Cuba holidays in Cienfuegos will soon have a new attraction to visit after completion of the work of one brigade from the Ministry of Construction's "5th September Contigent", which is currently transforming the Fortress of Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua, as they give the old entering bridge, with over 250 years old of existence, a new platform.
Located in Cuba's south centre region, the Jagua Castle was built to defend the bay from pirates. Those thirsty for Caribbean pirates stories would enjoy a guided tour through this legendary monument. The castle is the third most important of the country and the only one in the centre of the island.
Marisol Otero, director of the Museum, explained that they have never carried out such a complex actions as the one required in the renovation works, the moving bridge and at the door which gives access to the Arms Square using imported precious wood in the carpentry. She specified that "they restore the balconies and other places and work in the preservation of the museum pieces, mainly in the arms collection. They also eliminated the rust from the big cannons, located in the main entrance of the Castle".
Those eager to visit this brand new monument during their holidays in Cuba will be able to do so by the end of 2010 as at the end of current year they are scheduled to finish the reparation and maintenance works in order to keep displaying the renaissance architecture, with the architectonic characteristics of the Middle Age in the Fortress built in 1745 by the French engineer Joseph Tantete.
The castle is the only Spanish military enclave from the end of XVIII century in Cuba. It sits at the entrance of the Jagua Bay and in the National Patrimony Council, together with the Provincial government are taking part in the reparation of it, which they are carrying out while the visitors are still able to visit the National Monument.
The ancient fortress is one of the identity symbols of Cienfuegos and its name is a Cuban symbiosis of the Spanish saint calendar and the extinguished aboriginal voice, but with the mark in many local patronymic. During the XVIII century, the Jagua Castle stopped the filibustering of Francis Drake, Jacques de Sores, Guillermo Bruce, Juan Morgan, Lorenzo Craff and other terrible “sea wolfs” who pretended to benefit with the richness of the islands. The fortress had an important place in the Cuban history. In 1762 it was the seat of the Spanish military command, during the brief English occupation of the country.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th June 2017
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
- Exclusive Singles offer at Paradisus Princesa Del Mar – No single supplement for Summer 2017 - Limited Availability
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...