A national monument restored for the enjoyment of Cuba holidays in Cienfuegos
Those embarking on Cuba holidays in the central city of Cienfuegos will be able to enjoy a newly-restored fortress and castle, dating back to the pirates era. The renovation works on the castle are due to be finished by the end of this year.
Visitors enjoying Cuba holidays in Cienfuegos will soon have a new attraction to visit after completion of the work of one brigade from the Ministry of Construction's "5th September Contigent", which is currently transforming the Fortress of Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua, as they give the old entering bridge, with over 250 years old of existence, a new platform.
Located in Cuba's south centre region, the Jagua Castle was built to defend the bay from pirates. Those thirsty for Caribbean pirates stories would enjoy a guided tour through this legendary monument. The castle is the third most important of the country and the only one in the centre of the island.
Marisol Otero, director of the Museum, explained that they have never carried out such a complex actions as the one required in the renovation works, the moving bridge and at the door which gives access to the Arms Square using imported precious wood in the carpentry. She specified that "they restore the balconies and other places and work in the preservation of the museum pieces, mainly in the arms collection. They also eliminated the rust from the big cannons, located in the main entrance of the Castle".
Those eager to visit this brand new monument during their holidays in Cuba will be able to do so by the end of 2010 as at the end of current year they are scheduled to finish the reparation and maintenance works in order to keep displaying the renaissance architecture, with the architectonic characteristics of the Middle Age in the Fortress built in 1745 by the French engineer Joseph Tantete.
The castle is the only Spanish military enclave from the end of XVIII century in Cuba. It sits at the entrance of the Jagua Bay and in the National Patrimony Council, together with the Provincial government are taking part in the reparation of it, which they are carrying out while the visitors are still able to visit the National Monument.
The ancient fortress is one of the identity symbols of Cienfuegos and its name is a Cuban symbiosis of the Spanish saint calendar and the extinguished aboriginal voice, but with the mark in many local patronymic. During the XVIII century, the Jagua Castle stopped the filibustering of Francis Drake, Jacques de Sores, Guillermo Bruce, Juan Morgan, Lorenzo Craff and other terrible “sea wolfs” who pretended to benefit with the richness of the islands. The fortress had an important place in the Cuban history. In 1762 it was the seat of the Spanish military command, during the brief English occupation of the country.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...