A national monument restored for the enjoyment of Cuba holidays in Cienfuegos
Those embarking on Cuba holidays in the central city of Cienfuegos will be able to enjoy a newly-restored fortress and castle, dating back to the pirates era. The renovation works on the castle are due to be finished by the end of this year.
Visitors enjoying Cuba holidays in Cienfuegos will soon have a new attraction to visit after completion of the work of one brigade from the Ministry of Construction's "5th September Contigent", which is currently transforming the Fortress of Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua, as they give the old entering bridge, with over 250 years old of existence, a new platform.
Located in Cuba's south centre region, the Jagua Castle was built to defend the bay from pirates. Those thirsty for Caribbean pirates stories would enjoy a guided tour through this legendary monument. The castle is the third most important of the country and the only one in the centre of the island.
Marisol Otero, director of the Museum, explained that they have never carried out such a complex actions as the one required in the renovation works, the moving bridge and at the door which gives access to the Arms Square using imported precious wood in the carpentry. She specified that "they restore the balconies and other places and work in the preservation of the museum pieces, mainly in the arms collection. They also eliminated the rust from the big cannons, located in the main entrance of the Castle".
Those eager to visit this brand new monument during their holidays in Cuba will be able to do so by the end of 2010 as at the end of current year they are scheduled to finish the reparation and maintenance works in order to keep displaying the renaissance architecture, with the architectonic characteristics of the Middle Age in the Fortress built in 1745 by the French engineer Joseph Tantete.
The castle is the only Spanish military enclave from the end of XVIII century in Cuba. It sits at the entrance of the Jagua Bay and in the National Patrimony Council, together with the Provincial government are taking part in the reparation of it, which they are carrying out while the visitors are still able to visit the National Monument.
The ancient fortress is one of the identity symbols of Cienfuegos and its name is a Cuban symbiosis of the Spanish saint calendar and the extinguished aboriginal voice, but with the mark in many local patronymic. During the XVIII century, the Jagua Castle stopped the filibustering of Francis Drake, Jacques de Sores, Guillermo Bruce, Juan Morgan, Lorenzo Craff and other terrible “sea wolfs” who pretended to benefit with the richness of the islands. The fortress had an important place in the Cuban history. In 1762 it was the seat of the Spanish military command, during the brief English occupation of the country.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...