St Lucia holidays report increase in number of arrivals
The St Lucia Tourist Board has announced an increase in the number of tourists arriving to this Caribbean nation in 2010. The board attributes the increase in figures to the growth and marketing strategies implemented by the island's tourism sector.
A steady increase in the number of tourists taking St Lucia holidays in 2010 has been announced by the St Lucia Tourist Board who also pronounced a favourable forecast for 2011. Director of the SLTB along with the Vice President of Marketing revealed the organisation's statistics and strategies to the media last week on 23rd September at the SLTB headquarters in Vide Bouteille.
The Tourist Board’s Director, Louis Lewis, told media partners that it was important to give an idea of the tourism industry’s performance against the backdrop of the world economic crisis. Said Lewis, “We have seen a tremendous shift in the performance on the basis on arrivals because we are now on a steady growth path. We have grown consecutively on a monthly basis from the beginning of this year to the end of August which is the last set of data we have. I am happy to report that we are looking at a 15.9% increase in arrivals on a year to day basis.”
He attributed the growth to specific strategies aimed at marketing the island as a destination. In addressing the media, Lewis revealed what he calls some interesting developments for the year. “Based on the additional airlift that we have negotiated, as far back as 2008 and 2009, we are now beginning to reap the benefits of that initiative. In particular in the US market, that market has actually grown by 40 percent overall on a year to day basis when we compare 2010 to 2009. In the case of the UK we have had some significant slippages there where we had posted some declines for nearly 18 months and for the first time in August we have seen a phenomenal turnaround again with a 14.5 percent increase in arrivals, making that market one of the important ones for us as a destination. We also have significant growth being posted in the Canadian market and that is a very important development.”
Strong growth has been reported from Canadian travellers taking St Lucia holidays over the last twelve months. During this period the Canadian market has been growing according to the Tourist Board chief, especially with the introduction of the service by West Jet that provides additional capacity taking more passengers to holidays in St Lucia and also offers an average reduction on the average airfare. Consequently, Lewis reported, “Based on the additional airlift capacity that we have for the summer months, we are seeing now in the history of the measurement of tourism data for St Lucia, that we are now posting more arrivals in the summer months than we have had in the winter months. About 32, 000 persons come into St Lucia per month and that is really a significant development in the context of how we have performed as a destination.”
On a last note Lewis also announced that there has been a 40 % increase in the arrival capacity for the summer. “It has all to do with the airlift negotiated with some of the industry partners. We have the new service that started in the winter months of last year for Condor and we have been able to negotiate a contract for this summer and also for the winter coming.” - Lewis said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit savings when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Save up to a fantastic 65% in 2017 and 2018 and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Take advantage of savings up to 30% for travel in 2017 and 2018
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste included in your all inclusive plan
- 1 Child stays and eats free in a Premium Double or 2 Children stay free in a Family Suite
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...