St Lucia holidays report increase in number of arrivals
The St Lucia Tourist Board has announced an increase in the number of tourists arriving to this Caribbean nation in 2010. The board attributes the increase in figures to the growth and marketing strategies implemented by the island's tourism sector.
A steady increase in the number of tourists taking St Lucia holidays in 2010 has been announced by the St Lucia Tourist Board who also pronounced a favourable forecast for 2011. Director of the SLTB along with the Vice President of Marketing revealed the organisation's statistics and strategies to the media last week on 23rd September at the SLTB headquarters in Vide Bouteille.
The Tourist Board’s Director, Louis Lewis, told media partners that it was important to give an idea of the tourism industry’s performance against the backdrop of the world economic crisis. Said Lewis, “We have seen a tremendous shift in the performance on the basis on arrivals because we are now on a steady growth path. We have grown consecutively on a monthly basis from the beginning of this year to the end of August which is the last set of data we have. I am happy to report that we are looking at a 15.9% increase in arrivals on a year to day basis.”
He attributed the growth to specific strategies aimed at marketing the island as a destination. In addressing the media, Lewis revealed what he calls some interesting developments for the year. “Based on the additional airlift that we have negotiated, as far back as 2008 and 2009, we are now beginning to reap the benefits of that initiative. In particular in the US market, that market has actually grown by 40 percent overall on a year to day basis when we compare 2010 to 2009. In the case of the UK we have had some significant slippages there where we had posted some declines for nearly 18 months and for the first time in August we have seen a phenomenal turnaround again with a 14.5 percent increase in arrivals, making that market one of the important ones for us as a destination. We also have significant growth being posted in the Canadian market and that is a very important development.”
Strong growth has been reported from Canadian travellers taking St Lucia holidays over the last twelve months. During this period the Canadian market has been growing according to the Tourist Board chief, especially with the introduction of the service by West Jet that provides additional capacity taking more passengers to holidays in St Lucia and also offers an average reduction on the average airfare. Consequently, Lewis reported, “Based on the additional airlift capacity that we have for the summer months, we are seeing now in the history of the measurement of tourism data for St Lucia, that we are now posting more arrivals in the summer months than we have had in the winter months. About 32, 000 persons come into St Lucia per month and that is really a significant development in the context of how we have performed as a destination.”
On a last note Lewis also announced that there has been a 40 % increase in the arrival capacity for the summer. “It has all to do with the airlift negotiated with some of the industry partners. We have the new service that started in the winter months of last year for Condor and we have been able to negotiate a contract for this summer and also for the winter coming.” - Lewis said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Experience an unforgettable holiday in St Lucia, marvel at the wonderful sandy beach and enjoy street life in the restaurants, cafe's and bars of Rodney Bay.
- The Kids Club offers a range of activities to keep your little ones happy
- Enjoy the sunfish sailing and snorkelling
- Full buffet breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner included
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Children stay and eat FREE when sharing with 2 adults!
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste on your All Inclusive stay!
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 58%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...