St Lucia holidays report increase in number of arrivals
The St Lucia Tourist Board has announced an increase in the number of tourists arriving to this Caribbean nation in 2010. The board attributes the increase in figures to the growth and marketing strategies implemented by the island's tourism sector.
A steady increase in the number of tourists taking St Lucia holidays in 2010 has been announced by the St Lucia Tourist Board who also pronounced a favourable forecast for 2011. Director of the SLTB along with the Vice President of Marketing revealed the organisation's statistics and strategies to the media last week on 23rd September at the SLTB headquarters in Vide Bouteille.
The Tourist Board’s Director, Louis Lewis, told media partners that it was important to give an idea of the tourism industry’s performance against the backdrop of the world economic crisis. Said Lewis, “We have seen a tremendous shift in the performance on the basis on arrivals because we are now on a steady growth path. We have grown consecutively on a monthly basis from the beginning of this year to the end of August which is the last set of data we have. I am happy to report that we are looking at a 15.9% increase in arrivals on a year to day basis.”
He attributed the growth to specific strategies aimed at marketing the island as a destination. In addressing the media, Lewis revealed what he calls some interesting developments for the year. “Based on the additional airlift that we have negotiated, as far back as 2008 and 2009, we are now beginning to reap the benefits of that initiative. In particular in the US market, that market has actually grown by 40 percent overall on a year to day basis when we compare 2010 to 2009. In the case of the UK we have had some significant slippages there where we had posted some declines for nearly 18 months and for the first time in August we have seen a phenomenal turnaround again with a 14.5 percent increase in arrivals, making that market one of the important ones for us as a destination. We also have significant growth being posted in the Canadian market and that is a very important development.”
Strong growth has been reported from Canadian travellers taking St Lucia holidays over the last twelve months. During this period the Canadian market has been growing according to the Tourist Board chief, especially with the introduction of the service by West Jet that provides additional capacity taking more passengers to holidays in St Lucia and also offers an average reduction on the average airfare. Consequently, Lewis reported, “Based on the additional airlift capacity that we have for the summer months, we are seeing now in the history of the measurement of tourism data for St Lucia, that we are now posting more arrivals in the summer months than we have had in the winter months. About 32, 000 persons come into St Lucia per month and that is really a significant development in the context of how we have performed as a destination.”
On a last note Lewis also announced that there has been a 40 % increase in the arrival capacity for the summer. “It has all to do with the airlift negotiated with some of the industry partners. We have the new service that started in the winter months of last year for Condor and we have been able to negotiate a contract for this summer and also for the winter coming.” - Lewis said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Summer Sale with incredible savings of upto 45% in all room types until 3rd January 2019
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Adults-only, All Inclusive Retreat with an inviting and warm atmosphere is what Bel Jou Hotel stands for
- All Inclusive, Adults Only property set within lush tropical gardens with classic St. Lucian charm
- Experience Caribbean Flavour on the rooftop lounge bar and terrace with serene views over Castries and the Caribbean Sea
- Take advantage of free extras including a complimentary tour and complimentary wine in your room on arrival
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Summer Sale now extended with discounted savings for stays until 2019
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
Guests will be delighted by Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa , set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of Global Gourmet® options and leisure facilities
- The Red Lane Spa® offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...