Travel agents are given an authentically Bajan treat during their Barbados holidays
During a fam trip organised by Barbados Tourism authority, 70 travel agents representing different companies in the United States were invited to take a unique and comprehensive tour throughout the island to see all the richness it has to offer visitors.
As many as 70 leading travel agents from the United States have embarked on Barbados holidays on an official trip. Such a visit has led to hopes for a major boost in tourist traffic to Barbados as the island expects more and more US travellers become interested in Barbados holidays as an appealing Caribbean destination. Agents from various American travel companies travelled to the island as a result of an initiative by the Barbados Tourism Authority (BTA) to attract more United States visitors for the coming winter season.
Director of marketing service of the BTA, Averil Byer, called the four-day visit a “huge success”. Speaking to the Daily Nation after the Back In Time Gala Dinner hosted at the Crane Resort on Sunday night, Byer said: “This is the first time we had so many agents on the ground at any one time, but it was designed to coincide with our new American Airlines three-day-a-week service out of Dallas Fort Worth [International Airport] in Texas in December, as well as the first anniversary of JetBlue to our island.
“This service will open up the west coast of the United States, allowing persons the luxury of flying into Barbados in seven hours instead of the normal 13 hours it takes when they had to connect through New York or Miami.”
The agents arrived last Thursday and Friday and were treated to experience various aspects of what makes holidays in Barbados so fascinating. They were taken to Oistins on Friday night. On Saturday morning they attended a seminar entitled The Marketplace at Hilton Barbados, where over 44 hotels and other attractions displayed their products and services, since the agents would not have been able to visit all the hotels and attractions.
Later in the evening they enjoyed a cruise in the serene waters off the island on board a catamaran and on Sunday they were taken on an island Safari/Fun-fari tour, which included a treasure hunt. A beach barbecue at the Boatyard was also part of the excitement and entertainment for the visitors. The tour ended with the Back In Time Gala Dinner.
Byer noted that from the feedback everyone had a fantastic time and many of them were not too keen about having to leave. She said while it was not the first visit for some of the agents, there were quite a few who were on their first visit and were impressed by the overall Barbadian experience.
At the gala, Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy gave a short address. He also took the opportunity to present small tokens of appreciation to the winners of the fun quizzes and treasure hunt.
Officials from both the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association, the Intimate group of hotels and the BTA were in attendance.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...