Barbados holidays bouncing back thanks to U.S. travellers
After suffering from worrying dips last year, Barbados holidays seem to be gaining popularity again from the US travel market as US travellers are flocking down to the island once again and making it one of their favourite Caribbean holiday destinations.
It looks like the prospect of taking holidays in Barbados is looking more appealing to some travellers, especially those from the U.S. After taking a dramatic dip back in 2009, tourist arrivals from US travellers taking holidays in Barbados over the first nine months of the year are showing signs of improvement, with an increasing trend that shows that the market of U.S. holidaymakers going on Barbados holidays is finally picking up once again.
One of the leading Caribbean holiday destinations, Barbado holidays attract tourists from Europe as well as the United States but, because of the recent downturn in the global economy, there had been a marked decline of tourist arrivals last year.
Word of the improvement in arrival numbers came from president and chief executive officer of the Barbados Tourism Authority (BTA), David Rice, during a BTA seminar for over 70 travel agents from across the United States who were in Barbados for a “Mega Farm,” or familiarisation trip.
Speaking about the changing landscape of the Barbados holiday industry, to the Barbados Advocate after the seminar, Rice explained that, between January and September of 2008, arrival numbers stood at 99,000 with this figure taking a nosedive to 83,000 last year. But thankfully, in 2010, the numbers climbed back up to 99,000. Now the island hopes for the figure to keep escalating and growing further.
"So it obviously means that we are growing in the right direction. The momentum is there, we are 19.5% up over last year and we want to finish the year strong. We have had one additional service -- Jet Blue -- that we didn't have before, which started in October, so it gave us more travellers and visitors,” - Ricesaid.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- July Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Beachfront Property a short walk from the popular St Lawrence Gap
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...