Cuba holidays growing in popularity as tourism rises 5.4% in August
The month of August this year marked a significant increased in the number of tourist arrivals to Cuba, with a 5.4% in the number of visitors to the island when compared against the same figures last year and marking a 2.9% increase when compared to 2008.
Registering a new record figure of 172,772 holidaymakers arriving to the island to take Cuba holidays in August, the number of visitors arriving to this peculiar Caribbean holiday destination rose 5.4 % during the month, according to a bulletin released by the Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas (ONE).
These monthly statistics showed a 9.6% rise in visitors arriving from Canada — the largest source market for Cuban tourism sending hundreds of thousands Canadian travellers to Cuba holidays each year — and a significant increase in visitors from Britain (showing an impressive 11.6% jump), followed by Germany (up 12.2 %), Argentina (up 59%) and Russia marking the strongest and quickest growth in recent years, up by 88.8%). The most substantial rise, however, was registered under the “other” category — the second-largest category, that includes U.S. visitors (those legally able to take holidays in Cuba or those who risk it and cheat the system to travel to the island — which grew 16.7 % in August this year.
Visitor numbers from European countries which once used to be the main market of holidaymakers visiting Cuba showed a growing trend of decresing numbers with Spain, Italy and France dropped, -29. %, -12%, and -7.4 %respectively.
The monthly statistics however don’t include revenue figures, so we don't know if the increase in travellers also meant an increase in profits in the tourism sector..
Visitor numbers had dipped in August last year which makes this year's increases a positive change. Especially when this year’s August figures were 2.9 % higher than in August 2008, the previous record held for the month.
For the first eight months of the year, the total registerd number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba was 1.769 million, up 1.8% from 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...