Cuba holidays growing in popularity as tourism rises 5.4% in August
The month of August this year marked a significant increased in the number of tourist arrivals to Cuba, with a 5.4% in the number of visitors to the island when compared against the same figures last year and marking a 2.9% increase when compared to 2008.
Registering a new record figure of 172,772 holidaymakers arriving to the island to take Cuba holidays in August, the number of visitors arriving to this peculiar Caribbean holiday destination rose 5.4 % during the month, according to a bulletin released by the Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas (ONE).
These monthly statistics showed a 9.6% rise in visitors arriving from Canada — the largest source market for Cuban tourism sending hundreds of thousands Canadian travellers to Cuba holidays each year — and a significant increase in visitors from Britain (showing an impressive 11.6% jump), followed by Germany (up 12.2 %), Argentina (up 59%) and Russia marking the strongest and quickest growth in recent years, up by 88.8%). The most substantial rise, however, was registered under the “other” category — the second-largest category, that includes U.S. visitors (those legally able to take holidays in Cuba or those who risk it and cheat the system to travel to the island — which grew 16.7 % in August this year.
Visitor numbers from European countries which once used to be the main market of holidaymakers visiting Cuba showed a growing trend of decresing numbers with Spain, Italy and France dropped, -29. %, -12%, and -7.4 %respectively.
The monthly statistics however don’t include revenue figures, so we don't know if the increase in travellers also meant an increase in profits in the tourism sector..
Visitor numbers had dipped in August last year which makes this year's increases a positive change. Especially when this year’s August figures were 2.9 % higher than in August 2008, the previous record held for the month.
For the first eight months of the year, the total registerd number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba was 1.769 million, up 1.8% from 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...