Cuba holidays growing in popularity as tourism rises 5.4% in August
The month of August this year marked a significant increased in the number of tourist arrivals to Cuba, with a 5.4% in the number of visitors to the island when compared against the same figures last year and marking a 2.9% increase when compared to 2008.
Registering a new record figure of 172,772 holidaymakers arriving to the island to take Cuba holidays in August, the number of visitors arriving to this peculiar Caribbean holiday destination rose 5.4 % during the month, according to a bulletin released by the Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas (ONE).
These monthly statistics showed a 9.6% rise in visitors arriving from Canada — the largest source market for Cuban tourism sending hundreds of thousands Canadian travellers to Cuba holidays each year — and a significant increase in visitors from Britain (showing an impressive 11.6% jump), followed by Germany (up 12.2 %), Argentina (up 59%) and Russia marking the strongest and quickest growth in recent years, up by 88.8%). The most substantial rise, however, was registered under the “other” category — the second-largest category, that includes U.S. visitors (those legally able to take holidays in Cuba or those who risk it and cheat the system to travel to the island — which grew 16.7 % in August this year.
Visitor numbers from European countries which once used to be the main market of holidaymakers visiting Cuba showed a growing trend of decresing numbers with Spain, Italy and France dropped, -29. %, -12%, and -7.4 %respectively.
The monthly statistics however don’t include revenue figures, so we don't know if the increase in travellers also meant an increase in profits in the tourism sector..
Visitor numbers had dipped in August last year which makes this year's increases a positive change. Especially when this year’s August figures were 2.9 % higher than in August 2008, the previous record held for the month.
For the first eight months of the year, the total registerd number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba was 1.769 million, up 1.8% from 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...