Cuba holidays growing in popularity as tourism rises 5.4% in August
The month of August this year marked a significant increased in the number of tourist arrivals to Cuba, with a 5.4% in the number of visitors to the island when compared against the same figures last year and marking a 2.9% increase when compared to 2008.
Registering a new record figure of 172,772 holidaymakers arriving to the island to take Cuba holidays in August, the number of visitors arriving to this peculiar Caribbean holiday destination rose 5.4 % during the month, according to a bulletin released by the Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas (ONE).
These monthly statistics showed a 9.6% rise in visitors arriving from Canada — the largest source market for Cuban tourism sending hundreds of thousands Canadian travellers to Cuba holidays each year — and a significant increase in visitors from Britain (showing an impressive 11.6% jump), followed by Germany (up 12.2 %), Argentina (up 59%) and Russia marking the strongest and quickest growth in recent years, up by 88.8%). The most substantial rise, however, was registered under the “other” category — the second-largest category, that includes U.S. visitors (those legally able to take holidays in Cuba or those who risk it and cheat the system to travel to the island — which grew 16.7 % in August this year.
Visitor numbers from European countries which once used to be the main market of holidaymakers visiting Cuba showed a growing trend of decresing numbers with Spain, Italy and France dropped, -29. %, -12%, and -7.4 %respectively.
The monthly statistics however don’t include revenue figures, so we don't know if the increase in travellers also meant an increase in profits in the tourism sector..
Visitor numbers had dipped in August last year which makes this year's increases a positive change. Especially when this year’s August figures were 2.9 % higher than in August 2008, the previous record held for the month.
For the first eight months of the year, the total registerd number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba was 1.769 million, up 1.8% from 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...