Cuba holidays growing in popularity as tourism rises 5.4% in August
The month of August this year marked a significant increased in the number of tourist arrivals to Cuba, with a 5.4% in the number of visitors to the island when compared against the same figures last year and marking a 2.9% increase when compared to 2008.
Registering a new record figure of 172,772 holidaymakers arriving to the island to take Cuba holidays in August, the number of visitors arriving to this peculiar Caribbean holiday destination rose 5.4 % during the month, according to a bulletin released by the Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas (ONE).
These monthly statistics showed a 9.6% rise in visitors arriving from Canada — the largest source market for Cuban tourism sending hundreds of thousands Canadian travellers to Cuba holidays each year — and a significant increase in visitors from Britain (showing an impressive 11.6% jump), followed by Germany (up 12.2 %), Argentina (up 59%) and Russia marking the strongest and quickest growth in recent years, up by 88.8%). The most substantial rise, however, was registered under the “other” category — the second-largest category, that includes U.S. visitors (those legally able to take holidays in Cuba or those who risk it and cheat the system to travel to the island — which grew 16.7 % in August this year.
Visitor numbers from European countries which once used to be the main market of holidaymakers visiting Cuba showed a growing trend of decresing numbers with Spain, Italy and France dropped, -29. %, -12%, and -7.4 %respectively.
The monthly statistics however don’t include revenue figures, so we don't know if the increase in travellers also meant an increase in profits in the tourism sector..
Visitor numbers had dipped in August last year which makes this year's increases a positive change. Especially when this year’s August figures were 2.9 % higher than in August 2008, the previous record held for the month.
For the first eight months of the year, the total registerd number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba was 1.769 million, up 1.8% from 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...