Caribbean holidays on watch as tropical storm Matthew develops
The latest depression to have formed in the Caribbean region is currently being closely monitored as it could gain strength and intensity very quickly and become a hurricane in the following hours.
The Caribbean holiday industry is on watch as the region is being closely monitored for the develpment of further climate threats. With the hurricane season now in full-swing, the next depression being closely followed is the newly formed Tropical Storm Matthew which is steadily making its way toward South America bringing winds of up to 50 mph.
While Caribbean holidays are still recovering from the impact of the passing of Hurricane Igor and Tropical Storm Georgette over the past few days, a hurricane warning has come into effect for coastal areas of Nicaragua and Honduras as the latest tropical storm approaches.
The United States National Hurricane Centre (NHC) in Miami warned Matthew is strengthening and could become a hurricane by late Friday.
“Matthew is expected to be near or over north-eastern Nicaragua and eastern Honduras late today,” added a NHC statement.
Matthew is currently expected to make landfall near the Nicaragua-Honduras border late on Friday or early this Saturday, with authorities bracing for more flooding and bringing more inconvenients to those enjoying holidays in the Caribbean.
Between six and ten inches of rain over parts of Nicaragua and Honduras are expected, with up to 15 inches possible in isolated areas.
“These rainfall totals may produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides,” added the NHC.
The tropical storm has helped push natural gas futures higher as concerns the system may develop into a hurricane and threaten energy interests in the Gulf of Mexico.
The region is home to home to 31 % of United States oil production and 10% of gas supplies. The southern gulf also contains the Petroleos Mexicanos’s Cantarell oil field, Mexico’s largest.
Matthew is presently located about 240 miles east of Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua, and moving west at 16 mph.
Meanwhile, far out over the Atlantic, Tropical Storm Lisa is drifting slowly northwest with maximum sustained winds near 40 mph and is another little depression now being carefully followed.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- The first 30 bookings for travel in September or October will also get free upgrades to Sea View rooms in both hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...