Caribbean holidays on watch as tropical storm Matthew develops
The latest depression to have formed in the Caribbean region is currently being closely monitored as it could gain strength and intensity very quickly and become a hurricane in the following hours.
The Caribbean holiday industry is on watch as the region is being closely monitored for the develpment of further climate threats. With the hurricane season now in full-swing, the next depression being closely followed is the newly formed Tropical Storm Matthew which is steadily making its way toward South America bringing winds of up to 50 mph.
While Caribbean holidays are still recovering from the impact of the passing of Hurricane Igor and Tropical Storm Georgette over the past few days, a hurricane warning has come into effect for coastal areas of Nicaragua and Honduras as the latest tropical storm approaches.
The United States National Hurricane Centre (NHC) in Miami warned Matthew is strengthening and could become a hurricane by late Friday.
“Matthew is expected to be near or over north-eastern Nicaragua and eastern Honduras late today,” added a NHC statement.
Matthew is currently expected to make landfall near the Nicaragua-Honduras border late on Friday or early this Saturday, with authorities bracing for more flooding and bringing more inconvenients to those enjoying holidays in the Caribbean.
Between six and ten inches of rain over parts of Nicaragua and Honduras are expected, with up to 15 inches possible in isolated areas.
“These rainfall totals may produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides,” added the NHC.
The tropical storm has helped push natural gas futures higher as concerns the system may develop into a hurricane and threaten energy interests in the Gulf of Mexico.
The region is home to home to 31 % of United States oil production and 10% of gas supplies. The southern gulf also contains the Petroleos Mexicanos’s Cantarell oil field, Mexico’s largest.
Matthew is presently located about 240 miles east of Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua, and moving west at 16 mph.
Meanwhile, far out over the Atlantic, Tropical Storm Lisa is drifting slowly northwest with maximum sustained winds near 40 mph and is another little depression now being carefully followed.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...