Caribbean holidays on watch as tropical storm Matthew develops
The latest depression to have formed in the Caribbean region is currently being closely monitored as it could gain strength and intensity very quickly and become a hurricane in the following hours.
The Caribbean holiday industry is on watch as the region is being closely monitored for the develpment of further climate threats. With the hurricane season now in full-swing, the next depression being closely followed is the newly formed Tropical Storm Matthew which is steadily making its way toward South America bringing winds of up to 50 mph.
While Caribbean holidays are still recovering from the impact of the passing of Hurricane Igor and Tropical Storm Georgette over the past few days, a hurricane warning has come into effect for coastal areas of Nicaragua and Honduras as the latest tropical storm approaches.
The United States National Hurricane Centre (NHC) in Miami warned Matthew is strengthening and could become a hurricane by late Friday.
“Matthew is expected to be near or over north-eastern Nicaragua and eastern Honduras late today,” added a NHC statement.
Matthew is currently expected to make landfall near the Nicaragua-Honduras border late on Friday or early this Saturday, with authorities bracing for more flooding and bringing more inconvenients to those enjoying holidays in the Caribbean.
Between six and ten inches of rain over parts of Nicaragua and Honduras are expected, with up to 15 inches possible in isolated areas.
“These rainfall totals may produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides,” added the NHC.
The tropical storm has helped push natural gas futures higher as concerns the system may develop into a hurricane and threaten energy interests in the Gulf of Mexico.
The region is home to home to 31 % of United States oil production and 10% of gas supplies. The southern gulf also contains the Petroleos Mexicanos’s Cantarell oil field, Mexico’s largest.
Matthew is presently located about 240 miles east of Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua, and moving west at 16 mph.
Meanwhile, far out over the Atlantic, Tropical Storm Lisa is drifting slowly northwest with maximum sustained winds near 40 mph and is another little depression now being carefully followed.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...