Richard Branson to launch Virgin branded luxury hotels
Business tycoon and billionaire, Richard Branson, has decided to expand his Virgin brand by introducing luxury hotels to his collection which will appeal to younger and up-and-coming travellers in major cities in the United States.
Richard Branson is launching the Virgin brand into the business of luxury hotels with the opening of Virgin Hotels aimed at younger, up-and-coming travellers.
The British business tycoon and billionaire is the owner of the brand which comprises airlines, music, media channels, broadband, telecommunications, and even space travel.
Charles Quinn, from hotel investment advisory firm, CBRE Hotels, said the new hotel group will appeal to "the guys walking around with the shirt untucked and no ties, very similar to Mr. Branson. Virgin is a hip brand, no matter how you slice it."
As the travel industry recovers from the recent global recession, the timing seems to be right for the new venture into the luxury hotels industry in the United States.
Industry tracker, Smith Travel Research, says that the U.S hotel industry's revenue increased by eight per cent in August this year compared to the same time in 2009 and the average hotel rate increased 1.5 percent to $98.69 per night.
With these rising figures, luxury hotels are also benefiting from the economic turnaround. North American Vice President for Starwood Hotels, Carlos Becil, said: "As we have begun to recover from the economic downtown, luxury brands are enjoying the strongest revenue per available room of any segment."
Branson will be developing the new U.S hotels in major cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Chicago with the aim to buy up to $500million worth of properties with 150 to 400 rooms over the next three years.
Thompson Hotels' co-founder, Stephen Brandman, said: "Branson has all the capabilities of hitting a home run. However, it's not that easy. A recognized name doesn't necessarily ensure success."
Thompson runs hotels in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago and has recently opened its 10th hotel in Toronto, Canada. Brandman believes that the success of the new Virgin Hotels will depend on a number of factors including the location of the properties and the response from competitors.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...