Richard Branson to launch Virgin branded luxury hotels
Business tycoon and billionaire, Richard Branson, has decided to expand his Virgin brand by introducing luxury hotels to his collection which will appeal to younger and up-and-coming travellers in major cities in the United States.
Richard Branson is launching the Virgin brand into the business of luxury hotels with the opening of Virgin Hotels aimed at younger, up-and-coming travellers.
The British business tycoon and billionaire is the owner of the brand which comprises airlines, music, media channels, broadband, telecommunications, and even space travel.
Charles Quinn, from hotel investment advisory firm, CBRE Hotels, said the new hotel group will appeal to "the guys walking around with the shirt untucked and no ties, very similar to Mr. Branson. Virgin is a hip brand, no matter how you slice it."
As the travel industry recovers from the recent global recession, the timing seems to be right for the new venture into the luxury hotels industry in the United States.
Industry tracker, Smith Travel Research, says that the U.S hotel industry's revenue increased by eight per cent in August this year compared to the same time in 2009 and the average hotel rate increased 1.5 percent to $98.69 per night.
With these rising figures, luxury hotels are also benefiting from the economic turnaround. North American Vice President for Starwood Hotels, Carlos Becil, said: "As we have begun to recover from the economic downtown, luxury brands are enjoying the strongest revenue per available room of any segment."
Branson will be developing the new U.S hotels in major cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Chicago with the aim to buy up to $500million worth of properties with 150 to 400 rooms over the next three years.
Thompson Hotels' co-founder, Stephen Brandman, said: "Branson has all the capabilities of hitting a home run. However, it's not that easy. A recognized name doesn't necessarily ensure success."
Thompson runs hotels in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago and has recently opened its 10th hotel in Toronto, Canada. Brandman believes that the success of the new Virgin Hotels will depend on a number of factors including the location of the properties and the response from competitors.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...