Team representing St Lucia holidays returns home with 'Caribbean Bartender of the Year Award"
During the recent Taste of the Caribbean 2010 competition, a St Lucian bartender walked away with the coveted award of 'Bartender of the Year" while the Team St Lucia won the Bronze Medal in the culinary segment of the competition.
Proving that St Lucia holidays have so much more to offer besides sandy beaches and paradisiacal landscapes, the island has recently walked away with the honour of being one of the Caribbean nations that know best when it comes to mixing up tasty concoctions. The St Lucian team that participated at the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) Taste of the Caribbean 2010 culinary competition, exploded with pride and joy when their very own Alva Preville, the bartender from Team Saint Lucia was announced “Bartender of the Year” .
The food and drink competition was held a couple of weeks ago in Puerto Rico from 9th–12th September, 2010 at Rio Mar Beach Resort in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. For this the chefs and bartenders were required to present food and cocktails, which were judged on taste, execution of skills and presentation.
In the first three rounds of the bartender competition, Alva Preville from Delirius Ltd, demonstrated his creativity, personality and showmanship bringing home a silver medal with his indigenous Saint Lucian drinks; Thyme for Passion; Rosemary Grapefruit Martini; and Melonberry Smoothie. Alva then raised his game in the finals of the competition when he captured a gold medal and the coveted “Bartender of the Year” award with his winning Chilli Grapefruit Raspberry Flip cocktail.
Representing the kind of gastronomic delights that can be enjoyed on St Lucia holidays, in the culinary segment of the competition the St Lucia team was awarded one of the Bronze Medals. Despite the very competitive atmosphere, the judges were impressed with the display of the team’s culinary skills. The competing chefs were required to prepare a three-course meal within a set time, using a “mystery basket” of ingredients, which were kept secret until the competition began.
This year the Taste of the Caribbean competition featured eleven teams of Caribbean Chefs and bartenders who participated in exciting qualifying rounds of “live kitchen” and cocktail drinks’ mixing competitions. There were teams representing the culinary delights that could be enjoyed on Antigua & Barbuda holidays, Bahamas holidays, Barbados holidays, Dominican Republic holidays, Jamaica holidays, and holidays in Puerto Rico, St Lucia, Trinidad & Tobago and the US Virgin Islands. All Caribbean holiday destinations competed for the top honours.
The 2011 edition of Taste of the Caribbean, with a date set for 22nd - 26th June in Miami is expected to be a much improved and larger event with more participating teams representing more Caribbean holiday destinations, a consumer oriented food fair, greater destination marketing opportunities, television coverage, new competition categories and the involvement of more junior chefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Summer Sale with incredible savings of upto 45% in all room types until 3rd January 2019
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Adults-only, All Inclusive Retreat with an inviting and warm atmosphere is what Bel Jou Hotel stands for
- All Inclusive, Adults Only property set within lush tropical gardens with classic St. Lucian charm
- Experience Caribbean Flavour on the rooftop lounge bar and terrace with serene views over Castries and the Caribbean Sea
- Take advantage of free extras including a complimentary tour and complimentary wine in your room on arrival
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Summer Sale now extended with discounted savings for stays until 2019
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
Guests will be delighted by Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa , set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of Global Gourmet® options and leisure facilities
- The Red Lane Spa® offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...