Team representing St Lucia holidays returns home with 'Caribbean Bartender of the Year Award"
During the recent Taste of the Caribbean 2010 competition, a St Lucian bartender walked away with the coveted award of 'Bartender of the Year" while the Team St Lucia won the Bronze Medal in the culinary segment of the competition.
Proving that St Lucia holidays have so much more to offer besides sandy beaches and paradisiacal landscapes, the island has recently walked away with the honour of being one of the Caribbean nations that know best when it comes to mixing up tasty concoctions. The St Lucian team that participated at the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) Taste of the Caribbean 2010 culinary competition, exploded with pride and joy when their very own Alva Preville, the bartender from Team Saint Lucia was announced “Bartender of the Year” .
The food and drink competition was held a couple of weeks ago in Puerto Rico from 9th–12th September, 2010 at Rio Mar Beach Resort in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. For this the chefs and bartenders were required to present food and cocktails, which were judged on taste, execution of skills and presentation.
In the first three rounds of the bartender competition, Alva Preville from Delirius Ltd, demonstrated his creativity, personality and showmanship bringing home a silver medal with his indigenous Saint Lucian drinks; Thyme for Passion; Rosemary Grapefruit Martini; and Melonberry Smoothie. Alva then raised his game in the finals of the competition when he captured a gold medal and the coveted “Bartender of the Year” award with his winning Chilli Grapefruit Raspberry Flip cocktail.
Representing the kind of gastronomic delights that can be enjoyed on St Lucia holidays, in the culinary segment of the competition the St Lucia team was awarded one of the Bronze Medals. Despite the very competitive atmosphere, the judges were impressed with the display of the team’s culinary skills. The competing chefs were required to prepare a three-course meal within a set time, using a “mystery basket” of ingredients, which were kept secret until the competition began.
This year the Taste of the Caribbean competition featured eleven teams of Caribbean Chefs and bartenders who participated in exciting qualifying rounds of “live kitchen” and cocktail drinks’ mixing competitions. There were teams representing the culinary delights that could be enjoyed on Antigua & Barbuda holidays, Bahamas holidays, Barbados holidays, Dominican Republic holidays, Jamaica holidays, and holidays in Puerto Rico, St Lucia, Trinidad & Tobago and the US Virgin Islands. All Caribbean holiday destinations competed for the top honours.
The 2011 edition of Taste of the Caribbean, with a date set for 22nd - 26th June in Miami is expected to be a much improved and larger event with more participating teams representing more Caribbean holiday destinations, a consumer oriented food fair, greater destination marketing opportunities, television coverage, new competition categories and the involvement of more junior chefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Experience an unforgettable holiday in St Lucia, marvel at the wonderful sandy beach and enjoy street life in the restaurants, cafe's and bars of Rodney Bay.
- The Kids Club offers a range of activities to keep your little ones happy
- Enjoy the sunfish sailing and snorkelling
- Full buffet breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner included
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus Book a Garden View and get upgraded to an Ocean View!!!
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway in the stunningly secluded Choc Bay.
- Winter Sale: Save £900 in a upgraded Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Poolside Room
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant and enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals La Toc
- Get unlimited scuba diving fully included as part of your experience!
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...