Team representing St Lucia holidays returns home with 'Caribbean Bartender of the Year Award"
During the recent Taste of the Caribbean 2010 competition, a St Lucian bartender walked away with the coveted award of 'Bartender of the Year" while the Team St Lucia won the Bronze Medal in the culinary segment of the competition.
Proving that St Lucia holidays have so much more to offer besides sandy beaches and paradisiacal landscapes, the island has recently walked away with the honour of being one of the Caribbean nations that know best when it comes to mixing up tasty concoctions. The St Lucian team that participated at the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) Taste of the Caribbean 2010 culinary competition, exploded with pride and joy when their very own Alva Preville, the bartender from Team Saint Lucia was announced “Bartender of the Year” .
The food and drink competition was held a couple of weeks ago in Puerto Rico from 9th–12th September, 2010 at Rio Mar Beach Resort in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. For this the chefs and bartenders were required to present food and cocktails, which were judged on taste, execution of skills and presentation.
In the first three rounds of the bartender competition, Alva Preville from Delirius Ltd, demonstrated his creativity, personality and showmanship bringing home a silver medal with his indigenous Saint Lucian drinks; Thyme for Passion; Rosemary Grapefruit Martini; and Melonberry Smoothie. Alva then raised his game in the finals of the competition when he captured a gold medal and the coveted “Bartender of the Year” award with his winning Chilli Grapefruit Raspberry Flip cocktail.
Representing the kind of gastronomic delights that can be enjoyed on St Lucia holidays, in the culinary segment of the competition the St Lucia team was awarded one of the Bronze Medals. Despite the very competitive atmosphere, the judges were impressed with the display of the team’s culinary skills. The competing chefs were required to prepare a three-course meal within a set time, using a “mystery basket” of ingredients, which were kept secret until the competition began.
This year the Taste of the Caribbean competition featured eleven teams of Caribbean Chefs and bartenders who participated in exciting qualifying rounds of “live kitchen” and cocktail drinks’ mixing competitions. There were teams representing the culinary delights that could be enjoyed on Antigua & Barbuda holidays, Bahamas holidays, Barbados holidays, Dominican Republic holidays, Jamaica holidays, and holidays in Puerto Rico, St Lucia, Trinidad & Tobago and the US Virgin Islands. All Caribbean holiday destinations competed for the top honours.
The 2011 edition of Taste of the Caribbean, with a date set for 22nd - 26th June in Miami is expected to be a much improved and larger event with more participating teams representing more Caribbean holiday destinations, a consumer oriented food fair, greater destination marketing opportunities, television coverage, new competition categories and the involvement of more junior chefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste included in your all inclusive plan
- 1 Child stays and eats free in a Premium Double or 2 Children stay free in a Family Suite
- January sale now on with incredible discounts on all rooms
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Premium All-Inclusive Resort with 8 Restaurants and 7 Bars to choose from
- Save up to a fantastic 70% up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with a family and adults only section
Enjoy your stay in Anse Chastanet, the only resort with the iconic view of both Pitons mountains as they rise from the azure Caribbean Sea
- St. Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both the Piti & Gros Piton mountains floating upon the Caribbean Sea
- Incredible savings of upto 35% on all room types
- A private Helipad for helicopter arrivals is available to all guests
- A private estate of 600 lush tropical acres with two soft-sand Caribbean beaches with unspoiled coral reefs just offshore
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...