British companies want to invest in energy projects and the Cuba holidays market
After Cuban authorities have finally opened up land investment opportunities to foreign companies, a London newspaper has revealed that as many as 25 British companies could set up long-term investments in tourism and energy projects in the island.
The Observer recently published an article this week stating that some British firms could be the first foreigners to buy land in Cuba, now that the country's government has opened up to foreign investment, easing restrictions. According to the source, these companies plan to inject money in tourism and energy projects over more than four decades.
The newspaper article, written by Elena Moya, added that representatives of several British firms are currently in talks with the Cuban government on this issue. "British companies could be among the first foreigners to buy land in Cuba since Fidel Castro's revolution in 1959", the paper stated.
The article also revealed that as many as 25 British companies are aiming to strike deals that could allow them to invest in the Cuba holidays market, develop new Cuba hotels, golf courses and renewable energy projects. Law firm Eversheds, Esencia Hotels and Havana Energy are among the firms that will meet with Cuban government officials. "Cuba is open and prepared to receive foreign capital and to develop mixed projects along with the Cuban government," were the words from Igor Caballero, a Cuban embassy spokesman in London.
The present government, led by Raúl Castro, has promised economic reforms and just last month approved a law allowing foreign investors to acquire 99-year land leases in the hope that this will inject much needed cash into the island's tourism infrastucture, increasing the capacity to hold a larger number of tourists going on Cuba holidays. Cuba already has commercial relationships with Russia and China, although their distance makes tourism and other trade deals expensive.
The Observer also informed that the British trip, organised by the independent Cuba Initiative, is due to take place between 26th September and 3rd October 2010, and may lead to the first purchase of Cuban land by a foreign investor since 1959. "We are optimistic of a positive outcome to the visit in terms of UK investment. There are significant opportunities in a limited number of sectors," David Jessop, director of Cuba Initiative declared.
Some projects, such as Esencia Hotels' luxury resorts, could be worth up to $400m (£256m). The government could be prepared to sell 10 golf course sites, and other projects include a $40m development using a sugar-cane by-product to produce renewable energy, to be sold to the Cuban grid, the article of Moya said.
More than 170,000 Britons go on holidays to Cuba every year, a number beaten only by Canada tourists. Currently though, it is Spanish companies such as the Sol Meliá hotel chain, who have bigger investments there.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...