British companies want to invest in energy projects and the Cuba holidays market
After Cuban authorities have finally opened up land investment opportunities to foreign companies, a London newspaper has revealed that as many as 25 British companies could set up long-term investments in tourism and energy projects in the island.
The Observer recently published an article this week stating that some British firms could be the first foreigners to buy land in Cuba, now that the country's government has opened up to foreign investment, easing restrictions. According to the source, these companies plan to inject money in tourism and energy projects over more than four decades.
The newspaper article, written by Elena Moya, added that representatives of several British firms are currently in talks with the Cuban government on this issue. "British companies could be among the first foreigners to buy land in Cuba since Fidel Castro's revolution in 1959", the paper stated.
The article also revealed that as many as 25 British companies are aiming to strike deals that could allow them to invest in the Cuba holidays market, develop new Cuba hotels, golf courses and renewable energy projects. Law firm Eversheds, Esencia Hotels and Havana Energy are among the firms that will meet with Cuban government officials. "Cuba is open and prepared to receive foreign capital and to develop mixed projects along with the Cuban government," were the words from Igor Caballero, a Cuban embassy spokesman in London.
The present government, led by Raúl Castro, has promised economic reforms and just last month approved a law allowing foreign investors to acquire 99-year land leases in the hope that this will inject much needed cash into the island's tourism infrastucture, increasing the capacity to hold a larger number of tourists going on Cuba holidays. Cuba already has commercial relationships with Russia and China, although their distance makes tourism and other trade deals expensive.
The Observer also informed that the British trip, organised by the independent Cuba Initiative, is due to take place between 26th September and 3rd October 2010, and may lead to the first purchase of Cuban land by a foreign investor since 1959. "We are optimistic of a positive outcome to the visit in terms of UK investment. There are significant opportunities in a limited number of sectors," David Jessop, director of Cuba Initiative declared.
Some projects, such as Esencia Hotels' luxury resorts, could be worth up to $400m (£256m). The government could be prepared to sell 10 golf course sites, and other projects include a $40m development using a sugar-cane by-product to produce renewable energy, to be sold to the Cuban grid, the article of Moya said.
More than 170,000 Britons go on holidays to Cuba every year, a number beaten only by Canada tourists. Currently though, it is Spanish companies such as the Sol Meliá hotel chain, who have bigger investments there.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...