CHTA calls for regional fund for Caribbean holidays
The newly elected President of CHTA has called for more unity among countries in the Caribbean region so that they can create a cooperative marketing fund to help promote Caribbean holidays and remove barriers to intra-Caribbean travel.
The Caribbean holiday industry needs a common fund-raiser between regional countries. Or so says the newly-elected President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA), Josef Forstmayr, who has called for urgent action by all governments in the region for a cooperative marketing fund and regional integration to remove barriers to intra-Caribbean holidays and travel within the Caribbean region.
Forstmayr also urged the citizens and governments of all Caribbean nations to recognise tourism as the No. 1 industry for job creation in the region. He highlighted the words of British Prime Minister David Cameron when he spoke about tourism during a recent speech, depicting it as one of the best and fastest ways of generating jobs, and that it was fundamental to the rebuilding and re-balancing of the economy.
“It is therefore crucial that our governments embrace the economic importance of the tourism industry as a major generator of jobs throughout the region,” the online industry newsletter, Breaking Travel News (BTN) reported earlier this week.
Travel and tourism directly and indirectly employs more than 1.9 million people who in the Caribbean holidays market (one in every nine jobs), and accounts for 12.8 per cent of the Caribbean’s GDP – a higher percentage than any other region in the world.
“We need to continue to remind our people that “tourism business means jobs” not only in the hotels, but for the taxis, the restaurants, the farmers and fishermen that fill the restaurants with food,” Forstmayr added.
“It also means work for the seamstress, crafts people, shopkeepers and manufacturers, including all their workers plus the deliverymen as well as the trash collectors. In line with this, we need to improve regional linkages between our local agriculture industries and the hotel sector.
“Here in the Caribbean, it is even more important. On a number of islands, travel and tourism accounts for more than 50 per cent of all employment, and on some islands for more than 75 per cent.
“Overall, about 20 per cent of all Caribbean employment is travel and tourism dependent – something in the order of 2.5 million jobs.”
Forstmayr also targeted the youth of the Caribbean, wanting to engage them in the future of Caribbean holidays: “We must ensure that they can participate in the ownership and economic benefits of the industry. Having good talent and highly motivated staff working with our guests is very important.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...