CHTA calls for regional fund for Caribbean holidays
The newly elected President of CHTA has called for more unity among countries in the Caribbean region so that they can create a cooperative marketing fund to help promote Caribbean holidays and remove barriers to intra-Caribbean travel.
The Caribbean holiday industry needs a common fund-raiser between regional countries. Or so says the newly-elected President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA), Josef Forstmayr, who has called for urgent action by all governments in the region for a cooperative marketing fund and regional integration to remove barriers to intra-Caribbean holidays and travel within the Caribbean region.
Forstmayr also urged the citizens and governments of all Caribbean nations to recognise tourism as the No. 1 industry for job creation in the region. He highlighted the words of British Prime Minister David Cameron when he spoke about tourism during a recent speech, depicting it as one of the best and fastest ways of generating jobs, and that it was fundamental to the rebuilding and re-balancing of the economy.
“It is therefore crucial that our governments embrace the economic importance of the tourism industry as a major generator of jobs throughout the region,” the online industry newsletter, Breaking Travel News (BTN) reported earlier this week.
Travel and tourism directly and indirectly employs more than 1.9 million people who in the Caribbean holidays market (one in every nine jobs), and accounts for 12.8 per cent of the Caribbean’s GDP – a higher percentage than any other region in the world.
“We need to continue to remind our people that “tourism business means jobs” not only in the hotels, but for the taxis, the restaurants, the farmers and fishermen that fill the restaurants with food,” Forstmayr added.
“It also means work for the seamstress, crafts people, shopkeepers and manufacturers, including all their workers plus the deliverymen as well as the trash collectors. In line with this, we need to improve regional linkages between our local agriculture industries and the hotel sector.
“Here in the Caribbean, it is even more important. On a number of islands, travel and tourism accounts for more than 50 per cent of all employment, and on some islands for more than 75 per cent.
“Overall, about 20 per cent of all Caribbean employment is travel and tourism dependent – something in the order of 2.5 million jobs.”
Forstmayr also targeted the youth of the Caribbean, wanting to engage them in the future of Caribbean holidays: “We must ensure that they can participate in the ownership and economic benefits of the industry. Having good talent and highly motivated staff working with our guests is very important.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...