CHTA calls for regional fund for Caribbean holidays
The newly elected President of CHTA has called for more unity among countries in the Caribbean region so that they can create a cooperative marketing fund to help promote Caribbean holidays and remove barriers to intra-Caribbean travel.
The Caribbean holiday industry needs a common fund-raiser between regional countries. Or so says the newly-elected President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA), Josef Forstmayr, who has called for urgent action by all governments in the region for a cooperative marketing fund and regional integration to remove barriers to intra-Caribbean holidays and travel within the Caribbean region.
Forstmayr also urged the citizens and governments of all Caribbean nations to recognise tourism as the No. 1 industry for job creation in the region. He highlighted the words of British Prime Minister David Cameron when he spoke about tourism during a recent speech, depicting it as one of the best and fastest ways of generating jobs, and that it was fundamental to the rebuilding and re-balancing of the economy.
“It is therefore crucial that our governments embrace the economic importance of the tourism industry as a major generator of jobs throughout the region,” the online industry newsletter, Breaking Travel News (BTN) reported earlier this week.
Travel and tourism directly and indirectly employs more than 1.9 million people who in the Caribbean holidays market (one in every nine jobs), and accounts for 12.8 per cent of the Caribbean’s GDP – a higher percentage than any other region in the world.
“We need to continue to remind our people that “tourism business means jobs” not only in the hotels, but for the taxis, the restaurants, the farmers and fishermen that fill the restaurants with food,” Forstmayr added.
“It also means work for the seamstress, crafts people, shopkeepers and manufacturers, including all their workers plus the deliverymen as well as the trash collectors. In line with this, we need to improve regional linkages between our local agriculture industries and the hotel sector.
“Here in the Caribbean, it is even more important. On a number of islands, travel and tourism accounts for more than 50 per cent of all employment, and on some islands for more than 75 per cent.
“Overall, about 20 per cent of all Caribbean employment is travel and tourism dependent – something in the order of 2.5 million jobs.”
Forstmayr also targeted the youth of the Caribbean, wanting to engage them in the future of Caribbean holidays: “We must ensure that they can participate in the ownership and economic benefits of the industry. Having good talent and highly motivated staff working with our guests is very important.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...