Caribbean holidays industry welcome $2.2m regional tourism project
Numerous businesses which specialise in the tourism and Caribbean holidays industry will benefit from a new $2.2 million regional project funded by the European Union and the PROINVEST agency, aimed at helping to improve the quality of services.
Eighty businesses that specialise in Caribbean holidays and tourism across the Caribbean will benefit from a $2.2 million regional project which will be aimed at improving the services available to tourists and clients.
Businesses across Antigua, Barbados, the Bahamas, Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Trinidad, and Tobago will receive help from the new Caribbean project where they will receive hospitality assured certification.
The regional programme will last 15 months and will help all types of businesses in the Caribbean holidays industry including hotels, historic sites and attractions, restaurants, dive operators and many other tourism services.
The programme was officially launched at the Collymore Rock, St Michael headquarters of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) after many people had complained that the level of service was of an average standard and there were only "pockets of excellent service within the region".
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation's Director of Human Relations, Bonita Morgan, said: "We want to change that thinking and to change to culture within the organisations to recognise that .... to really be competitive in this very competitive business of tourism that we are in the business of service quality has to be one of the key areas that we pay attention to."
CTO's Secretary General Hugh Riley believe that many promoters and tourism planners within the Caribbean holidays industry were confusing value with discount and deals and said that the new project had come just in time as the Caribbean begins to recover from the aftermath of the global economic recession. The EU is hoping that tourists arrivals in regions across the Caribbean will return to the level they were at two years ago.
Tourism officials hope that the new project will help encourage more travellers to book their Caribbean holidays and help give a boost in tourism to business including Antigua hotels, and historic sites and attractions for travellers enjoying Barbados holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...