Barbados holidays could be seriously hurt by tourism cuts
Warnings have been issued for Barbados holidays not to fall in the price-slashing campaign being adopted by many other struggling Caribbean holiday destinations. If more cuts are made in the hospitality sector Barbados' image could suffer serious damages
Hard times could come for Barbados holiday industry if the country decides to keep slashing prices in the travel and hospitality sector as a result of the economic hardships Caribbean holidays are facing in general. Trying to prevent serious cuts from damaging the overall image of Barbados holidays, Barbados’ tourism industry has been told not to slash prices to get more business through these tough economic times. One reason is that deep cuts can cause some damage to their image as premier product/service providers of luxury holidays in the Caribbean. Another is that heavy discounting will mean below-par revenues for the industry and the Treasury for many years.
Speaking about the future of Barbados holidays if further cuts were to be implemented, two prominent figures in the hospitality industry, Hugh Darley and Alex Sanguinetti, made these recommendations and explanations yesterday when the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association held its third quarterly general meeting at Hilton Barbados. Orlando-based IDEAS Inc.’s Darley, who designed amusement rides at Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch, referred to the Sandals hotel chain’s 60 % discount for clients. His advice to local tourism operations was: “Don’t do that deep-seated discount. You never get it back. I think it’s going to be really tough to go back to the 100 per cent Sandals branding when they did . . . sell it for 60 per cent off.” He then explained how tourism operations should never “attack” their price but work hard to give clients “so much extra value” for their money.
Sanguinetti on the other hand, director and chief executive officer of the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association, said Barbados hotels and other tourism-related businesses should focus on giving added service and product value on Barbados holidays and avoid cutting rates. “. . . Once you lower your rates, all of the experts have said in this industry that it will take six to eight years for hotel rates to return to the 2008 level, based on prior experience,” - he told the meeting - “That means this industry and the governments are going to look forward to less revenue . . .”
He added that people should not be misled into thinking that Caribbean holidays were doing well simply because some countries were reporting increased arrivals. "The truth was that tourist spending “has been down across the Caribbean”,
Sanguinetti and Darley were among the people taking part in a panel discussion Surviving The Current Economic Climate.
Another participant, Rosalind Jackson, of Caribbean Catalyst, said both employers and workers have to do more to help businesses pull through. She suggested workers “have a more participatory approach to the job”, find ways to improve their value to the organisation and “explore other activities for earning a living” without giving up their jobs. Employers needed to “dig deep” and provide “true” leadership, she said, adding that they should be visible and available to staff and customers and “walk the floor” rather than rely solely on middle managers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...