Starwood's Africa and Indian Ocean luxury hotels triumph at World Travel Awards 2010
Operators of luxury hotels, Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, have triumphed in the travel and tourist industry as they were awarded the World Travel Award for "Africa's Leading Hotel Group" at a lavish ceremony in South Africa in July this year.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide was awarded a prestigious award for their luxury hotels at this year's World Travel Awards as they walked away with "Africa's Leading Hotel Group" at the gala ceremony held in Johannesburg, South Africa in July 2010.
Vice President and Regional Director of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Africa and the Indian Ocean, Hassan Ahdab, said:
"The World Travel Awards is the most exalted accolade an establishment in this industry can receive and it is therefore a considerable achievement for Starwood Hotels and Resorts in Africa to be presented with this coveted prize.
"With Starwood Hotels and Resorts representing a diverse collection of distinctive hotel brands within Africa and the Indian Ocean it was an immense accomplishment for our global hotel group and its family of hotel brand to be recognized and awarded for creating superior guest experiences."
Fourteen Starwood luxury hotels across Africa and the Indian Ocean were also awarded at the ceremony and included:
- Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna Hurghada, Egypt: Africa's Leading Beach Hotel
- Arabella Western Cape Hotel and Spa: Africa's Leading Luxury Hotel as well as Africa's Leading Spa Resort
- The Westin Grand Cape Town Arabella Quays, South Africa was: Africa's Leading Meetings and Conference Hotel
- Le Meridien Douala: Cameroon's Leading Hotel
- Sheraton Soma Bay: Egypt's Leading All-inclusive Resort
- Sheraton Addis: Ethiopia's Leading Hotel
- Sheraton Gambia Resort: Gambia's Leading Hotel
- Le Meridien N'Fis: Morocco's Leading Business Hotel
- Le Royal Mansour Meridien: Morocco's Leading Hotel
- Abuja Sheraton Hotel and Towers: Nigeria's Leading Business Hotel
- Abuja Sheraton Hotel and Towers: Nigeria's Leading Hotel
- Le Meridien Ile Maurice: Mauritius' Leading Hotel
- Sheraton Pretoria Hotel: South Africa's Leading Business Hotel.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide owns, operates and franchises over 1000 luxury hotels and properties across 100 countries in the world. S well providing luxury holidays in the Indian Ocean, Starwood operates luxury hotels across Europe, the Caribbean, America, Asia and Africa.
The World Travel Awards have been running since 1993 and are considered as the "Oscars" of the global travel and tourism industry. With numerous categories including luxury hotels, resorts, islands, airlines, tour operators, destinations, spas, and eco-friendly properties, the decision for the prestigious awards lies in the hands of 183,000 travel professionals across the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...