Despite rising fares bargains for cheap Caribbean holidays are still out there
Amidst escalating rising costs in Caribbean travel, especially from airfares which could increase further if the APD tax goes ahead in Novemeber, there are still some good bargains to be found to enjoy fabulous Caribbean holidays that don't cost a fortune
According to experts, hotel rates, air fares and cruise fares for Caribbean holidays are on the rise, but you wouldn't be able to tell by some of the autumn travel deals released this week for fabulous, Caribbean holidays that don't cost a fortune or break the bank.
For American travellers, for example, we have that Upscale Celebrity Cruises announced a companion sale on select sailings through to 11th February 2011, with fares starting at around $600 for two people on a five-night November Western Caribbean itinerary from Miami in an inside stateroom -- about $60 per person per day.
And it's good news all around for Florida holidaymakers as Holland America, yet another upscale line, is offering a seven-night October sailing from Fort Lauderdale for $399 per person, double occupancy -- again, about $60 per person per day.
Both cruises sail on newer ships.
A number of cruise lines and airlines have offered various quick-buy deals this fall. Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines and Virgin America all offered one-day sales Monday; tickets had to be purchased by 11:59 p.m.
American Airlines announced a fall-and-winter sale with fares beginning at $59 each way on some routes; tickets must be purchased by Sept. 16 and are subject to availability and black-out dates.
The cruise deals are part of a typical fall travel cycle, said Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor of CruiseCritic.com . "The time between school starts and the holidays are always the lowest of the season. Last year these kinds of deals were almost the rule, but this year they've been a little bit of an exception."
Some of the best deals are on air-and-hotel packages, said Anne Banas, editor of SmarterTravel.com . And while airfares generally are more expensive than last year, some routes are significant bargains, she said.
While US hotel rates are up 1-3 % this fall over last year, travelers can still find bargains, said Victor Owens, a marketing vice president at Hotels.com. The best deals are likely to come at 5-star hotels, which are selling this fall at rates more typical for 3- or 4-star hotels.
"Those values are out there," he said. "But as economy recovers, you will see some increase in rates."
In other words, cheap means for U.S. travellers also means good deals for UK holidaymakers going on Caribbean holidays despite the cost difference of long-haul flights, so our advice here is that when the deal looks good, don't hesitate and buy it before the economy recovers further and prices start escalating at an even faster rate.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...