Dubai holidays now more popular than New York?
With Dubai International Airport reporting unprecedented levels of unstoppable growth of 14% in seat capacity, year over year, Dubai as a destination has been enjoying increasing popularity over old world classic destinations such as New York.
For the first time ever in history it looks like Dubai holidays have overtaken New York holidays in terms of popularity as Dubai International Airport surpasses the JFK Airport in New York, in terms of capacity, according to the latest report by OAG, the US-based global leader in aviation intelligence.
"Dubai International Airport is a strong contributor to that growth, increasing 14 % in seat capacity, year over year,” - the report stated.
In its monthly Frequency and Capacity Trend Statistics report, OAG reports strong air service growth to the Middle East, with seat capacity and frequency in the Middle East increased by 11%, both within and to and from the region.
In addition to this, Dubai International Airport, Terminal 3, was recently voted “Middle East’s Leading Airport” at the World Travel Awards in May which follows their previous title of “World’s Leading Airport” at the 2009 World Travel Awards.
The Dubai Government has also been investing in the Dubai holidays market with more than Dh15 billion put into expanding the capacity at Dubai International Airport, which is in its final leg that will raise its passenger handling capacity to 80 million. The airport, which opened Emirates Terminal 3 in October 2008, is dueopen the fourth terminal in 2012.
However, one of the key drivers of Dubai’s success in the aviation sector has been driven by its home-grown airline – Emirates. “Dubai International Airport is home to a growing airline, which is supported by a government interested in opening international markets, catapulting the airport into the position of being a leading international airport,” said Peter von Moltke, Chief Executive Officer, UBM Aviation, parent company of OAG.
Frequency to Dubai holidays is scheduled to grow 6 % to a total 2.55 million flights, an increase of 151,257 monthly flights. Air service growth is reflected in every region of the world, again this month. Scheduled seat capacity grew within North America for a second consecutive month, continuing growth that hasn’t been experienced since 2007. Seat capacity increased 3% over September 2009, to a total of 74.32 million seats, and frequency increased 2 per cent for a total of 819,347 scheduled flights.
Seat capacity to and from North America, which recently had been stronger than within the region, grew 6% 16.42 million in September.
Air service to and from Europe remains strong, with capacity increasing 10 per cent, to a total of 24.57 million seats; and flights by 11 per cent, with 108,888.
Much of this growth comes from increased seats and flights to the Middle East and Asia, including flights to and from Abu Dhabi (21%), Doha (28%) and Tokyo (12%).
Traffic also grew within Europe with a 7% increase in seat capacity and a 5% increase in the number of fights to a total of 77.9 million seats and 623,579 flights.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
For an affordable luxury holiday on Dubai's iconic The Palm, head for Sofitel and take the whole family with you, they'll love it
- Boasting a Roof Top Swimming Pool
- Free high-speed internet and wifi
- Located by the famous Jumeirah Marina and close to shops, restaurants, bars and the Emirates Shopping Mall
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...