Dubai holidays now more popular than New York?
With Dubai International Airport reporting unprecedented levels of unstoppable growth of 14% in seat capacity, year over year, Dubai as a destination has been enjoying increasing popularity over old world classic destinations such as New York.
For the first time ever in history it looks like Dubai holidays have overtaken New York holidays in terms of popularity as Dubai International Airport surpasses the JFK Airport in New York, in terms of capacity, according to the latest report by OAG, the US-based global leader in aviation intelligence.
"Dubai International Airport is a strong contributor to that growth, increasing 14 % in seat capacity, year over year,” - the report stated.
In its monthly Frequency and Capacity Trend Statistics report, OAG reports strong air service growth to the Middle East, with seat capacity and frequency in the Middle East increased by 11%, both within and to and from the region.
In addition to this, Dubai International Airport, Terminal 3, was recently voted “Middle East’s Leading Airport” at the World Travel Awards in May which follows their previous title of “World’s Leading Airport” at the 2009 World Travel Awards.
The Dubai Government has also been investing in the Dubai holidays market with more than Dh15 billion put into expanding the capacity at Dubai International Airport, which is in its final leg that will raise its passenger handling capacity to 80 million. The airport, which opened Emirates Terminal 3 in October 2008, is dueopen the fourth terminal in 2012.
However, one of the key drivers of Dubai’s success in the aviation sector has been driven by its home-grown airline – Emirates. “Dubai International Airport is home to a growing airline, which is supported by a government interested in opening international markets, catapulting the airport into the position of being a leading international airport,” said Peter von Moltke, Chief Executive Officer, UBM Aviation, parent company of OAG.
Frequency to Dubai holidays is scheduled to grow 6 % to a total 2.55 million flights, an increase of 151,257 monthly flights. Air service growth is reflected in every region of the world, again this month. Scheduled seat capacity grew within North America for a second consecutive month, continuing growth that hasn’t been experienced since 2007. Seat capacity increased 3% over September 2009, to a total of 74.32 million seats, and frequency increased 2 per cent for a total of 819,347 scheduled flights.
Seat capacity to and from North America, which recently had been stronger than within the region, grew 6% 16.42 million in September.
Air service to and from Europe remains strong, with capacity increasing 10 per cent, to a total of 24.57 million seats; and flights by 11 per cent, with 108,888.
Much of this growth comes from increased seats and flights to the Middle East and Asia, including flights to and from Abu Dhabi (21%), Doha (28%) and Tokyo (12%).
Traffic also grew within Europe with a 7% increase in seat capacity and a 5% increase in the number of fights to a total of 77.9 million seats and 623,579 flights.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Experience the wonders of Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restaurants, sandy beaches and unmatched shopping, all for an unbeatable price
- Unwind in your beautifully designed room or suite featuring all your modern amenities and stunning views
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
Chill at The Palm's luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Six family swimming pools dotted around the resort
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning views over the Arabian Gulf
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Free Half Board option available
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
A mix of colonial heritage and contemporary design with tropical accents, The Ravenala Attitude is the first 4-star,...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...