Fairmont Hotels honour former glass cleaner with Employee of the Year Award
A Food and Beverage Supervisor who started off as a glass cleaner at the global Fairmont Hotels and Resorts chain has beaten off competition of 26,000 employees and has won a prestigious award of Employee of the Year.
John King'ori began his career at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts 10 years ago as a glass cleaner with the vision to one day serve as a waiter.
Since then, Mr King'ori has exceeded his expectations and has become a Food and Beverage Supervisor at the Mara Safari Club and in May 2010, he scooped the prestigious Fairmont Hotels award of Employee of the Year.
The 32-year-old is the first African employee to win the award. He commented: "Mine has been a case of looking for a meaning and focusing on a career that I begun with no hope of growing."
Mr King'ori continued: "Winning this year's award was due to referrals by past hotel guests that I served. This led to curiosity among new guests to the Mara Safari Club. This was evident in their recommendations about me. More importantly, other hotel staff from various countries who visited our branch recognised my work.
"During nominations it is hard to tell who will emerge the winner. There were 26,000 other employees contesting for the same title, which made the process very unpredictable. All along I ensured that I maintained high performance while hoping to be chosen as winner of the prestigious award."
Mr King'ori's hard work at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts has finally paid off and he now the proud owner of Sh300, 000.
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts operate properties all over Europe, Asia, America and Africa. The hospitality group made its debut into Africa in 2006 with the opening of five Fairmont hotels including the Mara Safari Club in Kenya; Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi; The Ark and the Aberdare Country Club in Kenya; and the Mount Kenya Safari Club in Nanyuki.
The Mara Safari Club is situated on the Mara River and offers guests a unique African safari during their stay. Guests can enjoy luxurious tented accommodation comprising four-poster beds, private bathrooms, verandas, and private outdoor showers.
During their stay, guests can enjoy a luxury safari, including game drives and balloon safaris over the Mara plains whey can experience sightings of zebras, crocodiles, gazelles, cheetahs, hippos, and wildebeest in their natural habitat.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...