Fairmont Hotels honour former glass cleaner with Employee of the Year Award
A Food and Beverage Supervisor who started off as a glass cleaner at the global Fairmont Hotels and Resorts chain has beaten off competition of 26,000 employees and has won a prestigious award of Employee of the Year.
John King'ori began his career at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts 10 years ago as a glass cleaner with the vision to one day serve as a waiter.
Since then, Mr King'ori has exceeded his expectations and has become a Food and Beverage Supervisor at the Mara Safari Club and in May 2010, he scooped the prestigious Fairmont Hotels award of Employee of the Year.
The 32-year-old is the first African employee to win the award. He commented: "Mine has been a case of looking for a meaning and focusing on a career that I begun with no hope of growing."
Mr King'ori continued: "Winning this year's award was due to referrals by past hotel guests that I served. This led to curiosity among new guests to the Mara Safari Club. This was evident in their recommendations about me. More importantly, other hotel staff from various countries who visited our branch recognised my work.
"During nominations it is hard to tell who will emerge the winner. There were 26,000 other employees contesting for the same title, which made the process very unpredictable. All along I ensured that I maintained high performance while hoping to be chosen as winner of the prestigious award."
Mr King'ori's hard work at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts has finally paid off and he now the proud owner of Sh300, 000.
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts operate properties all over Europe, Asia, America and Africa. The hospitality group made its debut into Africa in 2006 with the opening of five Fairmont hotels including the Mara Safari Club in Kenya; Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi; The Ark and the Aberdare Country Club in Kenya; and the Mount Kenya Safari Club in Nanyuki.
The Mara Safari Club is situated on the Mara River and offers guests a unique African safari during their stay. Guests can enjoy luxurious tented accommodation comprising four-poster beds, private bathrooms, verandas, and private outdoor showers.
During their stay, guests can enjoy a luxury safari, including game drives and balloon safaris over the Mara plains whey can experience sightings of zebras, crocodiles, gazelles, cheetahs, hippos, and wildebeest in their natural habitat.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Enjoy a taste of Thailand with a complimentary cooking class
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...