Fairmont Hotels honour former glass cleaner with Employee of the Year Award
A Food and Beverage Supervisor who started off as a glass cleaner at the global Fairmont Hotels and Resorts chain has beaten off competition of 26,000 employees and has won a prestigious award of Employee of the Year.
John King'ori began his career at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts 10 years ago as a glass cleaner with the vision to one day serve as a waiter.
Since then, Mr King'ori has exceeded his expectations and has become a Food and Beverage Supervisor at the Mara Safari Club and in May 2010, he scooped the prestigious Fairmont Hotels award of Employee of the Year.
The 32-year-old is the first African employee to win the award. He commented: "Mine has been a case of looking for a meaning and focusing on a career that I begun with no hope of growing."
Mr King'ori continued: "Winning this year's award was due to referrals by past hotel guests that I served. This led to curiosity among new guests to the Mara Safari Club. This was evident in their recommendations about me. More importantly, other hotel staff from various countries who visited our branch recognised my work.
"During nominations it is hard to tell who will emerge the winner. There were 26,000 other employees contesting for the same title, which made the process very unpredictable. All along I ensured that I maintained high performance while hoping to be chosen as winner of the prestigious award."
Mr King'ori's hard work at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts has finally paid off and he now the proud owner of Sh300, 000.
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts operate properties all over Europe, Asia, America and Africa. The hospitality group made its debut into Africa in 2006 with the opening of five Fairmont hotels including the Mara Safari Club in Kenya; Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi; The Ark and the Aberdare Country Club in Kenya; and the Mount Kenya Safari Club in Nanyuki.
The Mara Safari Club is situated on the Mara River and offers guests a unique African safari during their stay. Guests can enjoy luxurious tented accommodation comprising four-poster beds, private bathrooms, verandas, and private outdoor showers.
During their stay, guests can enjoy a luxury safari, including game drives and balloon safaris over the Mara plains whey can experience sightings of zebras, crocodiles, gazelles, cheetahs, hippos, and wildebeest in their natural habitat.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...