Fairmont Hotels honour former glass cleaner with Employee of the Year Award
A Food and Beverage Supervisor who started off as a glass cleaner at the global Fairmont Hotels and Resorts chain has beaten off competition of 26,000 employees and has won a prestigious award of Employee of the Year.
John King'ori began his career at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts 10 years ago as a glass cleaner with the vision to one day serve as a waiter.
Since then, Mr King'ori has exceeded his expectations and has become a Food and Beverage Supervisor at the Mara Safari Club and in May 2010, he scooped the prestigious Fairmont Hotels award of Employee of the Year.
The 32-year-old is the first African employee to win the award. He commented: "Mine has been a case of looking for a meaning and focusing on a career that I begun with no hope of growing."
Mr King'ori continued: "Winning this year's award was due to referrals by past hotel guests that I served. This led to curiosity among new guests to the Mara Safari Club. This was evident in their recommendations about me. More importantly, other hotel staff from various countries who visited our branch recognised my work.
"During nominations it is hard to tell who will emerge the winner. There were 26,000 other employees contesting for the same title, which made the process very unpredictable. All along I ensured that I maintained high performance while hoping to be chosen as winner of the prestigious award."
Mr King'ori's hard work at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts has finally paid off and he now the proud owner of Sh300, 000.
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts operate properties all over Europe, Asia, America and Africa. The hospitality group made its debut into Africa in 2006 with the opening of five Fairmont hotels including the Mara Safari Club in Kenya; Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi; The Ark and the Aberdare Country Club in Kenya; and the Mount Kenya Safari Club in Nanyuki.
The Mara Safari Club is situated on the Mara River and offers guests a unique African safari during their stay. Guests can enjoy luxurious tented accommodation comprising four-poster beds, private bathrooms, verandas, and private outdoor showers.
During their stay, guests can enjoy a luxury safari, including game drives and balloon safaris over the Mara plains whey can experience sightings of zebras, crocodiles, gazelles, cheetahs, hippos, and wildebeest in their natural habitat.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...