Fairmont Hotels honour former glass cleaner with Employee of the Year Award
A Food and Beverage Supervisor who started off as a glass cleaner at the global Fairmont Hotels and Resorts chain has beaten off competition of 26,000 employees and has won a prestigious award of Employee of the Year.
John King'ori began his career at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts 10 years ago as a glass cleaner with the vision to one day serve as a waiter.
Since then, Mr King'ori has exceeded his expectations and has become a Food and Beverage Supervisor at the Mara Safari Club and in May 2010, he scooped the prestigious Fairmont Hotels award of Employee of the Year.
The 32-year-old is the first African employee to win the award. He commented: "Mine has been a case of looking for a meaning and focusing on a career that I begun with no hope of growing."
Mr King'ori continued: "Winning this year's award was due to referrals by past hotel guests that I served. This led to curiosity among new guests to the Mara Safari Club. This was evident in their recommendations about me. More importantly, other hotel staff from various countries who visited our branch recognised my work.
"During nominations it is hard to tell who will emerge the winner. There were 26,000 other employees contesting for the same title, which made the process very unpredictable. All along I ensured that I maintained high performance while hoping to be chosen as winner of the prestigious award."
Mr King'ori's hard work at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts has finally paid off and he now the proud owner of Sh300, 000.
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts operate properties all over Europe, Asia, America and Africa. The hospitality group made its debut into Africa in 2006 with the opening of five Fairmont hotels including the Mara Safari Club in Kenya; Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi; The Ark and the Aberdare Country Club in Kenya; and the Mount Kenya Safari Club in Nanyuki.
The Mara Safari Club is situated on the Mara River and offers guests a unique African safari during their stay. Guests can enjoy luxurious tented accommodation comprising four-poster beds, private bathrooms, verandas, and private outdoor showers.
During their stay, guests can enjoy a luxury safari, including game drives and balloon safaris over the Mara plains whey can experience sightings of zebras, crocodiles, gazelles, cheetahs, hippos, and wildebeest in their natural habitat.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...