Government to lease out 12 islands to investors for new Sri Lanka hotels
The government of Sri Lanka will be leasing approximately 5,500 acres of land spread across 12 islands in the region to potential investors who are looking to set up new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts to keep up with the growing demand of travellers.
Sri Lanka's government has agreed to lease out 12 islands in the Kalpitiya area of Western Sri Lanka to investors who are interested in setting up new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts.
There has been a significant increase in tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays this year and Sri Lanka Tourism is has set a target of 2.5 million foreign visitor arrivals by 2015.
Dr Nalaka Godahewa, Chairman of Sri Lanka Tourism, said: "We need to have around 30,000 more hotel rooms to achieve the target growth. We have achieved a growth of more than 40 per cent in arrival numbers in the first half of the current year and hope to achieve the target of 2.5 million before 2015."
The government will be leasing approximately 5,500 acres of land spread across the 12 islands which are located near the country's capital, Colombo. The process is expected to commence within a month and the lease period will be for 35 years.
Godahewa explained that Sri Lanka Tourism is identifying more locations in the region to develop tourism including Sri Lanka hotels, marinas, entertainment centres and convention centres.
When asked about investors, he said: "We can think of separate tax holidays for investments amounting to more than USD 500, 000" and that he expects Indian investors to bring between US$300 and $400 million to the island nation.
Godahewa added that land has been identified in the north and east regions of the country for the development of luxury hotels in Sri Lanka with beach and islands resorts.
Sri Lanka is located 31km off the southern coast of India in the Indian Ocean and is made up an array of breathtaking scenery including pristine white sand beaches, lush green rolling hills, and mountainous terrain in the south of the island.
Since the recent end of nearly three decade-long civil war, the island is recovering and tourism is once again growing as travellers flock to the idyllic country and luxury Sri Lanka hotels for tropical holidays, romantic weddings and honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Surround yourself with ancient ruins and futuristic skyscrapers with a holiday to Sri Lanka and Dubai.
Combine the historical and cultural journey of a lifetime, with a stopover in one of the most futuristic and flashy cities in the world.
- A visit to one of the world’s most futuristic, indulgent and snazzy cities in the world – Dubai.
- Discover lush nature reserves, amazing temples, ancient ruins, Heritage sites and an overwhelming culture with a tour of one of the most intriguing and enchanting destinations in the world – Sri Lanka.
- Luxurious 4 & 5 star accommodation throughout the holiday.
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....