Government to lease out 12 islands to investors for new Sri Lanka hotels
The government of Sri Lanka will be leasing approximately 5,500 acres of land spread across 12 islands in the region to potential investors who are looking to set up new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts to keep up with the growing demand of travellers.
Sri Lanka's government has agreed to lease out 12 islands in the Kalpitiya area of Western Sri Lanka to investors who are interested in setting up new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts.
There has been a significant increase in tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays this year and Sri Lanka Tourism is has set a target of 2.5 million foreign visitor arrivals by 2015.
Dr Nalaka Godahewa, Chairman of Sri Lanka Tourism, said: "We need to have around 30,000 more hotel rooms to achieve the target growth. We have achieved a growth of more than 40 per cent in arrival numbers in the first half of the current year and hope to achieve the target of 2.5 million before 2015."
The government will be leasing approximately 5,500 acres of land spread across the 12 islands which are located near the country's capital, Colombo. The process is expected to commence within a month and the lease period will be for 35 years.
Godahewa explained that Sri Lanka Tourism is identifying more locations in the region to develop tourism including Sri Lanka hotels, marinas, entertainment centres and convention centres.
When asked about investors, he said: "We can think of separate tax holidays for investments amounting to more than USD 500, 000" and that he expects Indian investors to bring between US$300 and $400 million to the island nation.
Godahewa added that land has been identified in the north and east regions of the country for the development of luxury hotels in Sri Lanka with beach and islands resorts.
Sri Lanka is located 31km off the southern coast of India in the Indian Ocean and is made up an array of breathtaking scenery including pristine white sand beaches, lush green rolling hills, and mountainous terrain in the south of the island.
Since the recent end of nearly three decade-long civil war, the island is recovering and tourism is once again growing as travellers flock to the idyllic country and luxury Sri Lanka hotels for tropical holidays, romantic weddings and honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Settle into a haven of tranquility at a luxury boutique hotel that is a member of the prestigious Small Luxury Hotels of the World
- Offers a wide range of facilities including Bike Riding, Windsurfing, Kite Surfing & more
- Accommodation designed by the World-Famous local Architect Geoffrey Bawa
- Enjoy a choice of Wines specially selected for Jetwing
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
For a taste of Sri Lanka choose Eden Rock Resort and Spa, the worthy winner of Trip Advisor'ss 2012 Certificate of Excellence Award
- All rooms have a Private Balcony or Terrace with a view of either the Garden or the Indian Ocean
- Rejuvenate at the Spa and Ayuveda Centre
- Access to Temptation - a Fine-Dining Restaurant - the 24-Hr Chameleon Cafe & more
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...