Jamaica holidays welcome one millionth visitor for 2010
This year Jamaica has already achieved the 1 million tourist arrivals mark and in doing so, Jamaica's Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett was there to personally greet tourist number 1,000,000 who arrived to the island last Sunday
Celebrating the success Jamaica holidays seem to be enjoying among worldwide travellers that pick their island nation as the destination for their Caribbean holidays Jamaica's Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, wanted to personally greet the number 1,000,000 visitor who recently arrived to Jamaica holidays last Sunday. Mr Bartlett was there to welcomed to Montego Bay, the country's one millionth visitor for 2010, Angella Wilson, and her husband Aaron Wilson from New York.
The couple, who were taking Jamaica holidays for the first time ever, was excited about the special surprise reception and said that they were looking forward to "the time of their lives" in the island.
Bartlett, accompanied by members of the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) and Ministry representatives, showered the couple with gifts and accolades during a brief ceremony at the Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay.
"We are very delighted in fact to welcome the one millionth visitors to Montego Bay's Sangster International Airport today, and this is very significant as we make the distinction because to date we have just about 1.3 million arrivals since the start of the year, but through the airports we now have the one millionth visitors. We continue to market destination Jamaica in a very strong way and we are very pleased that we have recovered to a large extent from the limited State of Emergency and the problems that emanated there from. We are now back into growth and this has resulted from really hard work on the part of our team," Bartlett told JIS News.
He paid tribute to members of the JTB team and the tourism stakeholders who have done their part to drive the market recovery.
"One of the points that has been of tremendous value is that not a single flight was cancelled, not a single airline decided that it was not going to continue flying in its normal routine during the difficult months and that has enabled us to preserve the connectivity that we have with the destinations . but the critical thing is that we are remaining apace in terms of our revised projections for the end of the year ... I was hoping to make two million arrivals this year," Bartlett pointed out.
Chairman of the JTB, John Lynch, also extended his congratulations to the visitors.
"There are undoubtedly wonderful prospects in tourism for this country as this is unquestionably the best product in the Caribbean. I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate this wonderful couple for making it Jamaica and I wish for them an extra special vacation," Lynch said.
Mrs Wilson told JIS News that she and her husband were happy to be in Jamaica and were looking forward to their special vacation.
"This is my second time and my husband's first time and really our first time here together. We are truly excited and we are certainly looking forward for a good time in your island," she told JIS News.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...