Jamaica holidays welcome one millionth visitor for 2010
This year Jamaica has already achieved the 1 million tourist arrivals mark and in doing so, Jamaica's Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett was there to personally greet tourist number 1,000,000 who arrived to the island last Sunday
Celebrating the success Jamaica holidays seem to be enjoying among worldwide travellers that pick their island nation as the destination for their Caribbean holidays Jamaica's Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, wanted to personally greet the number 1,000,000 visitor who recently arrived to Jamaica holidays last Sunday. Mr Bartlett was there to welcomed to Montego Bay, the country's one millionth visitor for 2010, Angella Wilson, and her husband Aaron Wilson from New York.
The couple, who were taking Jamaica holidays for the first time ever, was excited about the special surprise reception and said that they were looking forward to "the time of their lives" in the island.
Bartlett, accompanied by members of the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) and Ministry representatives, showered the couple with gifts and accolades during a brief ceremony at the Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay.
"We are very delighted in fact to welcome the one millionth visitors to Montego Bay's Sangster International Airport today, and this is very significant as we make the distinction because to date we have just about 1.3 million arrivals since the start of the year, but through the airports we now have the one millionth visitors. We continue to market destination Jamaica in a very strong way and we are very pleased that we have recovered to a large extent from the limited State of Emergency and the problems that emanated there from. We are now back into growth and this has resulted from really hard work on the part of our team," Bartlett told JIS News.
He paid tribute to members of the JTB team and the tourism stakeholders who have done their part to drive the market recovery.
"One of the points that has been of tremendous value is that not a single flight was cancelled, not a single airline decided that it was not going to continue flying in its normal routine during the difficult months and that has enabled us to preserve the connectivity that we have with the destinations . but the critical thing is that we are remaining apace in terms of our revised projections for the end of the year ... I was hoping to make two million arrivals this year," Bartlett pointed out.
Chairman of the JTB, John Lynch, also extended his congratulations to the visitors.
"There are undoubtedly wonderful prospects in tourism for this country as this is unquestionably the best product in the Caribbean. I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate this wonderful couple for making it Jamaica and I wish for them an extra special vacation," Lynch said.
Mrs Wilson told JIS News that she and her husband were happy to be in Jamaica and were looking forward to their special vacation.
"This is my second time and my husband's first time and really our first time here together. We are truly excited and we are certainly looking forward for a good time in your island," she told JIS News.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy a blissful escape to this amazing five star hotel offering endless privileges steps from the Caribbean Sea
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Stay at the unique beach front Zoetry Montego Bay with Endless Privileges
- If you wish to get out and about from the resort then there is a complimentary shuttle to the Rose Hall shopping Arcade
- All Suites include dedicated butler service. This personalized service is at no extra cost
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...