BA CEO addressed the Caribbean holidays market during Autumn visit
BA CEO Willie Walsh will be attending the next Caribbean Tourism Organisation conference taking place between 9-12 October 2010 in Barbados. During his speech he will addres key issues such as the future of intercontinental travel and airline partnerships
Praising the Caribbean holidays market as one of the main holiday destinations they operate, Willie Walsh, CEO of British Airways, is to give the keynote address during the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) leadership strategy conference to be held in Barbados next month between 9-12th October 2010. The CTO is a Barbados-based development and sustainable tourism organisation representing all 34 Caribbean countries and territories which all play an important role in the way the market for Caribbean holidays develop.
Besides attending formal meetings with various Caribbean ministers and commissioners of tourism, Walsh will deliver the keynote speech at the Sunday morning conference on the future of intercontinental travel and the importance of partnerships between airlines and the holiday destinations they serve. One of the highlights of the conference will be a BA-hosted dinner scheduled for Sunday 10th October.
Walsh’s imminent visit to the Caribbean will highlight BA’s commitment to regions like the Caribbean whose economies depend heavily on the tourism and Caribbean holidays sector. He will also attend a fundraising lunch in aid of the CTO Foundation, where he will also be addressing university students and local business leaders.
Commenting on his forthcoming visit, Willie Walsh said, “We have a long and proud history of serving the Caribbean stretching back many decades. It is a favourite holiday destination for thousands of our customers who return time and again to enjoy the fantastic Caribbean hospitality.
“I am looking forward to visiting Barbados to see how British Airways can continue to contribute to one of the world’s premiere tourist destinations and to discuss the challenges facing us.
“As the world emerges from recession, we must be careful to ensure that our policy-making - in regard to taxation and other matters - encourages recovery in all regions of the world, particularly those where international tourism is a critical mainstay of the economy.”
Hugh Riley, secretary general of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, added to this, “The CTO is delighted at Mr Walsh’s visit. We have always been grateful for the crucial support that British Airways has shown our region over the years and we feel very honoured that the company’s chief executive will be helping the Caribbean’s tourism experts to consider how our region can remain competitive, enhancing our brand and staying ahead of current marketing innovations.
“It’s also very exciting for our region to see the launch of such a prestigious, large-scale leadership strategy conference, attended by so many high profile individuals and we look forward to seeing the outcome and benefits to the Caribbean.”
As part of of the CTO events planned, the conference will include a business component during which a new CTO chairman will be elected to represent the Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...