Caribbean holidays bracing for upcoming Hurricane Earl
As Hurricane Earl gains strength and becomes a Category Four tropical depression, Caribbean holidays have been put on watch alerting mainly the Caribbean East Coast and Florida.
Some Caribbean holidays have been put on hold for a number of people scheduled to take off during this week. As a result of the unfavourable meterological conditions in the area, a number of flights have been cancelled and cruise ships diverted as the Caribbean braces itself for Hurricane Earl.
Even when some islands have already been hit by winds of up to 135mph as the hurricane warning has been raised to a Category Four, no major disasters have been reported so far and thus there was no imminent danger to those already enjoying Caribbean holidays there.
By last night, Earl was 100 miles away from the Virgin Islands and metereologists predict it will keep moving north and move away from the tropical zones that could affect Caribbean countries and thus Caribbean holidays.
However before it heads north towards Florida, it could cause some devastating damages in the U.S Virgin Islands. As it gets closer to the U.S Virgin Islands, residents have been forced to take refuge in emergency shelters as it approaches, but there have been no reported casualties.
Caribbean airline LIAT cancelled 41 flights to destinations in the eastern Caribbean and closed its reservation service because of Earl’s approach.
Forecasters warn Earl could cause “catastrophic” damage if it hits land. They predict it is on course for the east coast of America.
Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed large part of New Orleans five years ago, reached Category Five.
“Hurricane conditions are now spreading into the Northern Leeward Islands and will spread westward into the Virgin Islands later today,” the U.S. National Hurricane Center said in its latest statement.
“Earl is expected to become a major hurricane by tonight or early Tuesday,” it added.
The hurricane centre also warned of a storm surge, dangerous waves and heavy rains that could cause flash flooding and mudslides.
Forecasters said Earl could affect the U.S. East Coast later this week.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...