Caribbean holidays bracing for upcoming Hurricane Earl
As Hurricane Earl gains strength and becomes a Category Four tropical depression, Caribbean holidays have been put on watch alerting mainly the Caribbean East Coast and Florida.
Some Caribbean holidays have been put on hold for a number of people scheduled to take off during this week. As a result of the unfavourable meterological conditions in the area, a number of flights have been cancelled and cruise ships diverted as the Caribbean braces itself for Hurricane Earl.
Even when some islands have already been hit by winds of up to 135mph as the hurricane warning has been raised to a Category Four, no major disasters have been reported so far and thus there was no imminent danger to those already enjoying Caribbean holidays there.
By last night, Earl was 100 miles away from the Virgin Islands and metereologists predict it will keep moving north and move away from the tropical zones that could affect Caribbean countries and thus Caribbean holidays.
However before it heads north towards Florida, it could cause some devastating damages in the U.S Virgin Islands. As it gets closer to the U.S Virgin Islands, residents have been forced to take refuge in emergency shelters as it approaches, but there have been no reported casualties.
Caribbean airline LIAT cancelled 41 flights to destinations in the eastern Caribbean and closed its reservation service because of Earl’s approach.
Forecasters warn Earl could cause “catastrophic” damage if it hits land. They predict it is on course for the east coast of America.
Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed large part of New Orleans five years ago, reached Category Five.
“Hurricane conditions are now spreading into the Northern Leeward Islands and will spread westward into the Virgin Islands later today,” the U.S. National Hurricane Center said in its latest statement.
“Earl is expected to become a major hurricane by tonight or early Tuesday,” it added.
The hurricane centre also warned of a storm surge, dangerous waves and heavy rains that could cause flash flooding and mudslides.
Forecasters said Earl could affect the U.S. East Coast later this week.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- Try surfing at Flowrider or swim with Dolphins at the Dolphinarium
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
- Enjoy the impressive resort credits which can be spent on golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...