Caribbean holidays bracing for upcoming Hurricane Earl
As Hurricane Earl gains strength and becomes a Category Four tropical depression, Caribbean holidays have been put on watch alerting mainly the Caribbean East Coast and Florida.
Some Caribbean holidays have been put on hold for a number of people scheduled to take off during this week. As a result of the unfavourable meterological conditions in the area, a number of flights have been cancelled and cruise ships diverted as the Caribbean braces itself for Hurricane Earl.
Even when some islands have already been hit by winds of up to 135mph as the hurricane warning has been raised to a Category Four, no major disasters have been reported so far and thus there was no imminent danger to those already enjoying Caribbean holidays there.
By last night, Earl was 100 miles away from the Virgin Islands and metereologists predict it will keep moving north and move away from the tropical zones that could affect Caribbean countries and thus Caribbean holidays.
However before it heads north towards Florida, it could cause some devastating damages in the U.S Virgin Islands. As it gets closer to the U.S Virgin Islands, residents have been forced to take refuge in emergency shelters as it approaches, but there have been no reported casualties.
Caribbean airline LIAT cancelled 41 flights to destinations in the eastern Caribbean and closed its reservation service because of Earl’s approach.
Forecasters warn Earl could cause “catastrophic” damage if it hits land. They predict it is on course for the east coast of America.
Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed large part of New Orleans five years ago, reached Category Five.
“Hurricane conditions are now spreading into the Northern Leeward Islands and will spread westward into the Virgin Islands later today,” the U.S. National Hurricane Center said in its latest statement.
“Earl is expected to become a major hurricane by tonight or early Tuesday,” it added.
The hurricane centre also warned of a storm surge, dangerous waves and heavy rains that could cause flash flooding and mudslides.
Forecasters said Earl could affect the U.S. East Coast later this week.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning varadero beach, getting the best of both during Easter 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre Easter holiday package deal
- The elegant distrrict of Miramar and the pristine beach of Varadero provide the perfect settings for exploring the charm and beauty of Cuba
- Boasts facilities, activities, excursions and entertainment for every taste
- A spacious, classy and comfortable feel
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...