Caribbean holidays bracing for upcoming Hurricane Earl
As Hurricane Earl gains strength and becomes a Category Four tropical depression, Caribbean holidays have been put on watch alerting mainly the Caribbean East Coast and Florida.
Some Caribbean holidays have been put on hold for a number of people scheduled to take off during this week. As a result of the unfavourable meterological conditions in the area, a number of flights have been cancelled and cruise ships diverted as the Caribbean braces itself for Hurricane Earl.
Even when some islands have already been hit by winds of up to 135mph as the hurricane warning has been raised to a Category Four, no major disasters have been reported so far and thus there was no imminent danger to those already enjoying Caribbean holidays there.
By last night, Earl was 100 miles away from the Virgin Islands and metereologists predict it will keep moving north and move away from the tropical zones that could affect Caribbean countries and thus Caribbean holidays.
However before it heads north towards Florida, it could cause some devastating damages in the U.S Virgin Islands. As it gets closer to the U.S Virgin Islands, residents have been forced to take refuge in emergency shelters as it approaches, but there have been no reported casualties.
Caribbean airline LIAT cancelled 41 flights to destinations in the eastern Caribbean and closed its reservation service because of Earl’s approach.
Forecasters warn Earl could cause “catastrophic” damage if it hits land. They predict it is on course for the east coast of America.
Hurricane Katrina, which destroyed large part of New Orleans five years ago, reached Category Five.
“Hurricane conditions are now spreading into the Northern Leeward Islands and will spread westward into the Virgin Islands later today,” the U.S. National Hurricane Center said in its latest statement.
“Earl is expected to become a major hurricane by tonight or early Tuesday,” it added.
The hurricane centre also warned of a storm surge, dangerous waves and heavy rains that could cause flash flooding and mudslides.
Forecasters said Earl could affect the U.S. East Coast later this week.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...