Sri Lanka holidays to develop "Signature Tours"
In order to entice American travellers to go on Sri Lanka holidays, the Sri Lankan Embassy in Washington D.C. has teamed up with the STDA to launch a series of special "Signature Tours" aimed at rising awareness about what Sri Lanka has to offer visitors
In a bid to keep the good momentum going due to the recent success that Sri Lanka holidays have been enjoying recently, Ambassador Jaliya Wickramasuriya and the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Washington, D.C., in collaboration with the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, today launched the first in a series of “Signature Tours,” that will bring more American travellers to Sri Lanka holidays. Such tours will allow American holidaymakers to fully see and experience the magnificence of the island.
The first pioneering group, consisting of a total of 25 tourists embarked on Sri Lanka holidays from 20th-29th August, 2010 and during their trip will be accompanied by Ambassador Wickramasuriya. Travellers on the inaugural trip include an award-winning travel writer, a Hollywood film professional and executives from a variety of companies.
“It is our pleasure to bring this group of American travellers to Sri Lanka,” said Ambassador Wickramasuriya. “I look forward to introducing the travellers to our island of unrivalled splendour and our welcoming culture. I know our journey will be an eye-opening experience that will highlight Sri Lanka’s boundless potential.”
The 12-day itinerary includes travel from the Sri Lankan capital of Colombo to the U.N. World Heritage site of the Galle Fort and then a visit to the renowned countryside and tea fields of Nuwara Eliya. Working with the Embassy, the calendar for exploring Sri Lanka holidays was organised by Jetwing Travels, a leading travel company in Sri Lanka.
Also, earlier this year, The New York Times named Sri Lanka its number one travel destination in 2010 and National Geographic ranked Sri Lanka holidays second among its Top 25 places to visit in 2010.
The Embassy plans to continue these Signature Tours and arrange them on an annual basis. Due to the stable, peaceful conditions reigning in Sri Lanka since May 2009 marked the end of a conflict against the terrorist group Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, the number of tourist arriving to Sri Lanka holidays has increased by 50 % during the first half of 2010 when compared against the same period in 2009. The U.S. Department of State in May recognised the lasting peace and lifted a travel advisory.
“We believe we are just scratching the surface of our tourism market and we look forward to continued growth,” Ambassador Wickramasuriya added on a final note.
Guidance and cooperation extended by Hon. Basil Rajapaksa, Sri Lanka’s Minister of Economic Development, and officials at the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) were essential in the timely implementation of this initiative.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Surround yourself with ancient ruins and futuristic skyscrapers with a holiday to Sri Lanka and Dubai.
Combine the historical and cultural journey of a lifetime, with a stopover in one of the most futuristic and flashy cities in the world.
- A visit to one of the world’s most futuristic, indulgent and snazzy cities in the world – Dubai.
- Discover lush nature reserves, amazing temples, ancient ruins, Heritage sites and an overwhelming culture with a tour of one of the most intriguing and enchanting destinations in the world – Sri Lanka.
- Luxurious 4 & 5 star accommodation throughout the holiday.
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...