Sri Lanka holidays to develop "Signature Tours"
In order to entice American travellers to go on Sri Lanka holidays, the Sri Lankan Embassy in Washington D.C. has teamed up with the STDA to launch a series of special "Signature Tours" aimed at rising awareness about what Sri Lanka has to offer visitors
In a bid to keep the good momentum going due to the recent success that Sri Lanka holidays have been enjoying recently, Ambassador Jaliya Wickramasuriya and the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Washington, D.C., in collaboration with the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, today launched the first in a series of “Signature Tours,” that will bring more American travellers to Sri Lanka holidays. Such tours will allow American holidaymakers to fully see and experience the magnificence of the island.
The first pioneering group, consisting of a total of 25 tourists embarked on Sri Lanka holidays from 20th-29th August, 2010 and during their trip will be accompanied by Ambassador Wickramasuriya. Travellers on the inaugural trip include an award-winning travel writer, a Hollywood film professional and executives from a variety of companies.
“It is our pleasure to bring this group of American travellers to Sri Lanka,” said Ambassador Wickramasuriya. “I look forward to introducing the travellers to our island of unrivalled splendour and our welcoming culture. I know our journey will be an eye-opening experience that will highlight Sri Lanka’s boundless potential.”
The 12-day itinerary includes travel from the Sri Lankan capital of Colombo to the U.N. World Heritage site of the Galle Fort and then a visit to the renowned countryside and tea fields of Nuwara Eliya. Working with the Embassy, the calendar for exploring Sri Lanka holidays was organised by Jetwing Travels, a leading travel company in Sri Lanka.
Also, earlier this year, The New York Times named Sri Lanka its number one travel destination in 2010 and National Geographic ranked Sri Lanka holidays second among its Top 25 places to visit in 2010.
The Embassy plans to continue these Signature Tours and arrange them on an annual basis. Due to the stable, peaceful conditions reigning in Sri Lanka since May 2009 marked the end of a conflict against the terrorist group Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, the number of tourist arriving to Sri Lanka holidays has increased by 50 % during the first half of 2010 when compared against the same period in 2009. The U.S. Department of State in May recognised the lasting peace and lifted a travel advisory.
“We believe we are just scratching the surface of our tourism market and we look forward to continued growth,” Ambassador Wickramasuriya added on a final note.
Guidance and cooperation extended by Hon. Basil Rajapaksa, Sri Lanka’s Minister of Economic Development, and officials at the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) were essential in the timely implementation of this initiative.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....