Group of experts in the Caribbean holidays market applaud UK Prime Minister's Speech
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) recently expressed their delight over British Prime Minister's words during a recent speech where he highlighted the importance of the tourism sector and how measures should be taken to
British Prime Minister David Cameron received much praise on behalf of those involved in the Caribbean holidays industry when during a recent speech in London held on 12th August, he described tourism as “fundamental to rebuilding and rebalancing” the UK economy and “one of the best and fastest ways of generating jobs.”
Emphasising on the value of the travel and tourism industry in general, which benefits the Caribbean holidays market in particular, Cameron outlined four key components to create the “strongest possible tourism strategy” which included the introduction of new government policies for tourism, removing obstacles that discourage tourism and freeing up the red tape and reducing the “excessive business taxes” on the UK’s tourism businesses.
Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) President, Josef Forstmayr hopes in turn that Caribbean governments will adopt a similar approach to tourism and the Caribbean holidays sector which is the region's #1 employer.
“It is gratifying to see a country like the UK recognise the true importance of tourism” - Forstmayr said - “The Prime Minister’s speech could easily be adopted by all of our 35 member destinations – particularly as it relates to the excessive red tape and taxes that burden the Caribbean’s private sector; tourism contributes so much to our local economies,” .
Working on improving the conditions for the Caribbean holidays market, the CHTA recently launched its own Tourism Is Key advocacy campaign, in conjunction with the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) during a recent CARICOM Heads of Government meeting in Montego Bay.
The campaign seeks to educate and inform a broad audience from Caribbean Heads of State to ‘the man in the street,’ about the importance and impact of tourism on the Caribbean’s economies.
“Travel & Tourism is a major economic and social driver in the Caribbean,” said Jean-Claude Baumgarten, President & CEO of WTTC. “It is essential that its value is recognized by governments and the public at large, and that governments help to unlock its full potential for the benefit of all stakeholders in the Caribbean.”
Forstmayr added: “Prime Minister Cameron’s speech is exactly ‘on message’ with our ‘Tourism Is Key’ campaign and we have sent a copy of the speech to all Caribbean Prime Ministers and Ministers of Tourism.”
Alec Sanguinetti, CHTA’s Director General and CEO is in the process of visiting several Caribbean government leaders to discuss the state of the tourism industry in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...