Group of experts in the Caribbean holidays market applaud UK Prime Minister's Speech
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) recently expressed their delight over British Prime Minister's words during a recent speech where he highlighted the importance of the tourism sector and how measures should be taken to
British Prime Minister David Cameron received much praise on behalf of those involved in the Caribbean holidays industry when during a recent speech in London held on 12th August, he described tourism as “fundamental to rebuilding and rebalancing” the UK economy and “one of the best and fastest ways of generating jobs.”
Emphasising on the value of the travel and tourism industry in general, which benefits the Caribbean holidays market in particular, Cameron outlined four key components to create the “strongest possible tourism strategy” which included the introduction of new government policies for tourism, removing obstacles that discourage tourism and freeing up the red tape and reducing the “excessive business taxes” on the UK’s tourism businesses.
Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) President, Josef Forstmayr hopes in turn that Caribbean governments will adopt a similar approach to tourism and the Caribbean holidays sector which is the region's #1 employer.
“It is gratifying to see a country like the UK recognise the true importance of tourism” - Forstmayr said - “The Prime Minister’s speech could easily be adopted by all of our 35 member destinations – particularly as it relates to the excessive red tape and taxes that burden the Caribbean’s private sector; tourism contributes so much to our local economies,” .
Working on improving the conditions for the Caribbean holidays market, the CHTA recently launched its own Tourism Is Key advocacy campaign, in conjunction with the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) during a recent CARICOM Heads of Government meeting in Montego Bay.
The campaign seeks to educate and inform a broad audience from Caribbean Heads of State to ‘the man in the street,’ about the importance and impact of tourism on the Caribbean’s economies.
“Travel & Tourism is a major economic and social driver in the Caribbean,” said Jean-Claude Baumgarten, President & CEO of WTTC. “It is essential that its value is recognized by governments and the public at large, and that governments help to unlock its full potential for the benefit of all stakeholders in the Caribbean.”
Forstmayr added: “Prime Minister Cameron’s speech is exactly ‘on message’ with our ‘Tourism Is Key’ campaign and we have sent a copy of the speech to all Caribbean Prime Ministers and Ministers of Tourism.”
Alec Sanguinetti, CHTA’s Director General and CEO is in the process of visiting several Caribbean government leaders to discuss the state of the tourism industry in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...