Group of experts in the Caribbean holidays market applaud UK Prime Minister's Speech
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) recently expressed their delight over British Prime Minister's words during a recent speech where he highlighted the importance of the tourism sector and how measures should be taken to
British Prime Minister David Cameron received much praise on behalf of those involved in the Caribbean holidays industry when during a recent speech in London held on 12th August, he described tourism as “fundamental to rebuilding and rebalancing” the UK economy and “one of the best and fastest ways of generating jobs.”
Emphasising on the value of the travel and tourism industry in general, which benefits the Caribbean holidays market in particular, Cameron outlined four key components to create the “strongest possible tourism strategy” which included the introduction of new government policies for tourism, removing obstacles that discourage tourism and freeing up the red tape and reducing the “excessive business taxes” on the UK’s tourism businesses.
Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) President, Josef Forstmayr hopes in turn that Caribbean governments will adopt a similar approach to tourism and the Caribbean holidays sector which is the region's #1 employer.
“It is gratifying to see a country like the UK recognise the true importance of tourism” - Forstmayr said - “The Prime Minister’s speech could easily be adopted by all of our 35 member destinations – particularly as it relates to the excessive red tape and taxes that burden the Caribbean’s private sector; tourism contributes so much to our local economies,” .
Working on improving the conditions for the Caribbean holidays market, the CHTA recently launched its own Tourism Is Key advocacy campaign, in conjunction with the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) during a recent CARICOM Heads of Government meeting in Montego Bay.
The campaign seeks to educate and inform a broad audience from Caribbean Heads of State to ‘the man in the street,’ about the importance and impact of tourism on the Caribbean’s economies.
“Travel & Tourism is a major economic and social driver in the Caribbean,” said Jean-Claude Baumgarten, President & CEO of WTTC. “It is essential that its value is recognized by governments and the public at large, and that governments help to unlock its full potential for the benefit of all stakeholders in the Caribbean.”
Forstmayr added: “Prime Minister Cameron’s speech is exactly ‘on message’ with our ‘Tourism Is Key’ campaign and we have sent a copy of the speech to all Caribbean Prime Ministers and Ministers of Tourism.”
Alec Sanguinetti, CHTA’s Director General and CEO is in the process of visiting several Caribbean government leaders to discuss the state of the tourism industry in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...