Group of experts in the Caribbean holidays market applaud UK Prime Minister's Speech
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) recently expressed their delight over British Prime Minister's words during a recent speech where he highlighted the importance of the tourism sector and how measures should be taken to
British Prime Minister David Cameron received much praise on behalf of those involved in the Caribbean holidays industry when during a recent speech in London held on 12th August, he described tourism as “fundamental to rebuilding and rebalancing” the UK economy and “one of the best and fastest ways of generating jobs.”
Emphasising on the value of the travel and tourism industry in general, which benefits the Caribbean holidays market in particular, Cameron outlined four key components to create the “strongest possible tourism strategy” which included the introduction of new government policies for tourism, removing obstacles that discourage tourism and freeing up the red tape and reducing the “excessive business taxes” on the UK’s tourism businesses.
Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) President, Josef Forstmayr hopes in turn that Caribbean governments will adopt a similar approach to tourism and the Caribbean holidays sector which is the region's #1 employer.
“It is gratifying to see a country like the UK recognise the true importance of tourism” - Forstmayr said - “The Prime Minister’s speech could easily be adopted by all of our 35 member destinations – particularly as it relates to the excessive red tape and taxes that burden the Caribbean’s private sector; tourism contributes so much to our local economies,” .
Working on improving the conditions for the Caribbean holidays market, the CHTA recently launched its own Tourism Is Key advocacy campaign, in conjunction with the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) during a recent CARICOM Heads of Government meeting in Montego Bay.
The campaign seeks to educate and inform a broad audience from Caribbean Heads of State to ‘the man in the street,’ about the importance and impact of tourism on the Caribbean’s economies.
“Travel & Tourism is a major economic and social driver in the Caribbean,” said Jean-Claude Baumgarten, President & CEO of WTTC. “It is essential that its value is recognized by governments and the public at large, and that governments help to unlock its full potential for the benefit of all stakeholders in the Caribbean.”
Forstmayr added: “Prime Minister Cameron’s speech is exactly ‘on message’ with our ‘Tourism Is Key’ campaign and we have sent a copy of the speech to all Caribbean Prime Ministers and Ministers of Tourism.”
Alec Sanguinetti, CHTA’s Director General and CEO is in the process of visiting several Caribbean government leaders to discuss the state of the tourism industry in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...