Mexicana's flights to Mexico and popular Cancun holidays rescued by a private consortium
In a life-saving move to keep Mexicana de Aviacion flying, a consortium of Mexican businessmen
Coming quick to the rescue of Mexicana and its set of flights connecting millions of worldwide passengers to Mexico and Cancun holidays, a consortium of Mexican businessmen has bought a 95% stake in the holding company that controls Mexicana, in a deal that is hoped will secure the fortunes of the troubled carrier and ensure it keeps flying many international travellers to and from Mexico holidays.
It was U.S. private equity group Advent International who arranged the acquisition for the consortium, which is called Tenedora K.
The consortium bought 95 % of Nuevo Grupo Aeronautico, which controls Mexicana as well as domestic airlines operating flights between Mexican cities and districts as well as popular resort and connecting holidays in Mexico City D.F. for example with Cancun holidays in Mexico's Caribbean Gulf. Mexicana Click and Mexicana Link, according to a statement released by Advent International.
Nevertheless, Advent itself has not invested in the deal.
Mexicana, one of the country’s two major airlines and the third longest-serving airline in the world, had cut more than a dozen international routes and stopped selling tickets after requesting creditor protection earlier this month under Mexico’s insolvency laws, thus putting many Mexico and Cancun holidays hopefuls.
“Tenedora K is a company formed by a group of Mexican businessmen as a vehicle to capitalise the mentioned airlines, with the aim of rescuing them from the critical financial and operating situation they are in,” the statement release stated.
The statement also revealed that Grupo Industrial Omega and Grupo Arizan are among the shareholders of Tenedora K.
On the other hand, Mexican hotel operator Grupo Posadas confirmed last Friday that it had sold its 30 % share of Nuevo Grupo Aeronautico to the new investors.
The statement also unveiled that the remaining 5 % state in the holding company is being held by the pilots union.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...