Mexicana's flights to Mexico and popular Cancun holidays rescued by a private consortium
In a life-saving move to keep Mexicana de Aviacion flying, a consortium of Mexican businessmen
Coming quick to the rescue of Mexicana and its set of flights connecting millions of worldwide passengers to Mexico and Cancun holidays, a consortium of Mexican businessmen has bought a 95% stake in the holding company that controls Mexicana, in a deal that is hoped will secure the fortunes of the troubled carrier and ensure it keeps flying many international travellers to and from Mexico holidays.
It was U.S. private equity group Advent International who arranged the acquisition for the consortium, which is called Tenedora K.
The consortium bought 95 % of Nuevo Grupo Aeronautico, which controls Mexicana as well as domestic airlines operating flights between Mexican cities and districts as well as popular resort and connecting holidays in Mexico City D.F. for example with Cancun holidays in Mexico's Caribbean Gulf. Mexicana Click and Mexicana Link, according to a statement released by Advent International.
Nevertheless, Advent itself has not invested in the deal.
Mexicana, one of the country’s two major airlines and the third longest-serving airline in the world, had cut more than a dozen international routes and stopped selling tickets after requesting creditor protection earlier this month under Mexico’s insolvency laws, thus putting many Mexico and Cancun holidays hopefuls.
“Tenedora K is a company formed by a group of Mexican businessmen as a vehicle to capitalise the mentioned airlines, with the aim of rescuing them from the critical financial and operating situation they are in,” the statement release stated.
The statement also revealed that Grupo Industrial Omega and Grupo Arizan are among the shareholders of Tenedora K.
On the other hand, Mexican hotel operator Grupo Posadas confirmed last Friday that it had sold its 30 % share of Nuevo Grupo Aeronautico to the new investors.
The statement also unveiled that the remaining 5 % state in the holding company is being held by the pilots union.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Get a taste of the unique destination of Indonesia with a trip across two of its stunning islands. Start at lush Mercure...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...