New digital magazine to inspire those planning Cuba holidays
Taking the blogging world by storm, a popular Cuban blogger has started the edition of a new digital magazine that will give voice to many of Cuba's independent bloggers to talk about the main issues the country faces during these testing times.
A new digital magazine has been launched and could be an ideal source of information for anyone planning Cuba holidays. THe creation of "Voces" - which translates as Voices - is the brainchild of Orlando Luis Pardo Lazo and the Miami Herald states it will be home to articles and photography from contributors from all over the world.
The first issue contains work from Spanish Antonio Jose Ponte, Havana's Ena Lucia Portela and Emilio Ichikawa from Miami. "It's a vehicle for the rainbow of opinions in this critical moment that Cuba is going through." - Pardo declared.
People planning to go on Cuba holidays themselves may find it "vibrant" and "fun", in the same way one blogger did. Writing for EzineMark, the writer claims the carnivals, culture and bars provide plenty of entertainment.
This independent Cuban blogger has launched the island's first digital magazine, with a variety of contributions from well-known authors in and out of the country but free of ``any type of -isms.''
``We want a more rational Cuba, without any type of -isms,'' the 38-year-old Pardo said by phone from his home in Havana.
The magazine's debut Monday marked yet another expansion of the island's blogosphere, where Cubans are increasingly writing about everything from their frustrations with daily life to dissident activities and praise for the government.
Voces' first issue carried 22 articles by authors such as popular Havana bloggers Yoani Sánchez and Claudia Cadelo, Miami essayist Emilio Ichikawa, Havana writers Ena Lucia Portela and Wendy Guerra and Ivan de la Nuez, Antonio Jose Ponte and Juan Abreu, who all live in Spain.
``The group of writers they have are among the best young Cuban voices anywhere,'' said Ted Henken, a Baruch College professor who follows the island's bloggers and writes his own, El Yuma.
With 66 pages in PDF format to allow faster downloads, the magazine uses eye-catching graphics and high-resolution photos, all in black and white except for a color cover photo of the vastness of the ocean off Havana, posing many inviting pictures for those considering Cuba holidays.
By Wednesday, Voces had received more than 700 visitors in just one of the several blogs that posted it, and Pardo said copies were circulating in Cuba on CDs, flash drives and the domestic network known as the ``intranet.''
A 38-year-old graduate in biochemistry from the University of Havana, Pardo said he left the field 10 years ago and has been working as an independent photographer, writer and blogger. He also produces the blog, Boring Home Utopics, which describes itself as ``the Collective Memories from a Unique Man in the Brave New Zoociety'' and Pardo as a ``postographer'' who ``resides and resists in Habanaught.''
Pardo said Voces, which he hopes to issue monthly, has no editorial policy and welcomes writers with all kinds of opinions.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...