Sri Lanka hotels increase room capacity for rising tourist arrivals
The recent increase in rooms and suites within Sri Lanka hotels has boosted the island's room capacity by 45%, as many hoteliers look to expand their properties to accommodate the rise in travellers booking luxury Sri Lanka holidays.
A number of Sri Lanka hotels have recently undergone expansion which has led to a 45 per cent increase in room capacity on the Indian Ocean island.
Amaya Resorts and Spas, John Keells and Jetwing Hotels have all recently expanded the number of rooms at their Sri Lanka hotels, after the region saw a significant increase in travellers enjoying Sri Lanka holidays.
Chairman of Jetwing Hotels, Hiran Cooray, said: "Given the rapid growth of tourism in Sri Lanka, Jetwing seeks to refurbish its current properties and expand its room stock through new ventures."
He added: "In respect of refurbishment, Jetwing has made a conscious effort to upgrade all of its properties gradually to 4-5 star (small luxury) properties."
In the first half of 2010, Sri Lanka has seen a 48.8 per cent increase in tourist arrivals and many Sri Lanka hotels are expanding to keep up with the new demand of rooms.
Located approximately 31 kilometres off the south coast of India, Sri Lanka has had a turbulent past with a civil war which lasted nearly three decades and finally came to and end last year.
The end of the civil war had an almost instant affect on the island's tourism and visitor arrivals and many travellers once again felt that it was a safe destination to travel to. A rebranding and marketing campaign carried out by Sri Lanka Tourism last year, helped put the island back on the tourist trail and the results are proving to be positive for Sri Lanka hotels and businesses.
The stunning island comprises numerous sandy beaches, nature parks, and an abundance of wildlife. Travellers visiting the region can enjoy scuba diving holidays, surfing activities, and an extensive range of tours and excursions to the island's historic sites and monuments.
With a warm and tropical climate, breathtaking scenery and collection of luxury Sri Lanka hotels and resorts, the stunning island is becoming a popular choice for couples planning honeymoons and weddings abroad.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Take advantage of a this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...