Mauritius holidays experiencing a "surge" in numbers of arrivals to the island
With tourism having reportedly increased by 8.5% in terms of revenue generated during the first half of the year 2010, Mauritius holidays seem to be enjoying a great momentum despite stumped growth across the European market.
Mauritius holidays have been recently experiencing a boom in tourism revenues, as the island reported a signigicant increase in numbers for the first half of the year, boosted by a strong growth in visitors from Asia, and more particularly from India.
According to official sources, tourism receipts for the Mauritius holidays industry rose 8.5 % to 19.5 billion rupees recorded in 2010's first six months, according to the Central Statistics Office (CSO). Nevertheless, the island's strong recovery was weighed down by sluggish growth across its core European source market, due to the ongoing financial woes across the continent plus the devaluation of the Euro against the local currency.
The CSO revealed that as many as 439,150 tourists took Mauritius holidays during the first half of 2010. The centre is also sticking with its forecast of a 5 % growth in visitor numbers during 2010, rising the total figure to to 915,000.
Arrivals from the Asian market rose 21.2 % year-on-year, with India leading the surge.
In the meantime, just last week finance minister Pravind Jugnauth unveiled a $395 million programme to boost the export and tourism sectors to ensure the popularity of Mauritius holidays keeps growing among worldwide travellers.
The stimulus package, the island’s second in recent years aims to attract more visitors from the emerging markets of India, China and Russia.
Jugnauth also added that he hopes to double the number of Indian tourists to 115,000 by 2015.
The Indian Ocean island, which is famed for its beaches, azure waters and luxury Mauritiius hotels, relies heavily on the tourism industry. The hospitality and travel sector of Mauritius holidays accounted for 7.4 %of the island's GDP in 2009, down from 9.4 % and 8.7 % in 2007 and 2008 before the global financial crisis.
Mauritius holidays recently picked up a number of top awards at the World Travel Awards Africa and Indian Ocean Ceremony 2010, which was hosted in Johannesburg last month. Awards included “Indian Ocean’s Leading Destination”. Mauritius Air picked up “Indian Ocean’s Leading Airline”, whilst Maradiva won “Mauritius’ Leading Resort”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Take delight in the bare necessities of life when you stay at this peaceful retreat, created for body and soul rejuvenation.
- Enjoy delicious seafood barefeet in the sand at L'Ocean restaurant
- Admire beautiful sunsets from the deck around the infinity pool
- Treat yourself with a complimentary Hammam at the Spa Attitude
An Exotic Escape at the beachfront Ambre Hotel in Belle Mare comes at an affordable price - it's too good to resist...
- Watersports includes Wind-surfing, kayaks,laser sails, glass-bottom boat trips and snorkelling
- Free Golf Included in your Holiday at Le Touessrok
- Excellent kids club with fun programmes for the little one open twelve hours a day
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
Set amidst a landscape of lush vegetation, mountains and the clear waters of the Indian Ocean, the Heritage Awali oozes luxury and offers first-class service
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy attentive all-inclusive service in a unique setting in Bel Ombre with its own nature reserve
- Get a complimentary round of golf per day and a free spa treatment per stay
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
A mix of colonial heritage and contemporary design with tropical accents, The Ravenala Attitude is the first 4-star,...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
With a private beachfront in the beautifully landscaped resort of Bel Ombre, Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort provides...