Mauritius holidays experiencing a "surge" in numbers of arrivals to the island
With tourism having reportedly increased by 8.5% in terms of revenue generated during the first half of the year 2010, Mauritius holidays seem to be enjoying a great momentum despite stumped growth across the European market.
Mauritius holidays have been recently experiencing a boom in tourism revenues, as the island reported a signigicant increase in numbers for the first half of the year, boosted by a strong growth in visitors from Asia, and more particularly from India.
According to official sources, tourism receipts for the Mauritius holidays industry rose 8.5 % to 19.5 billion rupees recorded in 2010's first six months, according to the Central Statistics Office (CSO). Nevertheless, the island's strong recovery was weighed down by sluggish growth across its core European source market, due to the ongoing financial woes across the continent plus the devaluation of the Euro against the local currency.
The CSO revealed that as many as 439,150 tourists took Mauritius holidays during the first half of 2010. The centre is also sticking with its forecast of a 5 % growth in visitor numbers during 2010, rising the total figure to to 915,000.
Arrivals from the Asian market rose 21.2 % year-on-year, with India leading the surge.
In the meantime, just last week finance minister Pravind Jugnauth unveiled a $395 million programme to boost the export and tourism sectors to ensure the popularity of Mauritius holidays keeps growing among worldwide travellers.
The stimulus package, the island’s second in recent years aims to attract more visitors from the emerging markets of India, China and Russia.
Jugnauth also added that he hopes to double the number of Indian tourists to 115,000 by 2015.
The Indian Ocean island, which is famed for its beaches, azure waters and luxury Mauritiius hotels, relies heavily on the tourism industry. The hospitality and travel sector of Mauritius holidays accounted for 7.4 %of the island's GDP in 2009, down from 9.4 % and 8.7 % in 2007 and 2008 before the global financial crisis.
Mauritius holidays recently picked up a number of top awards at the World Travel Awards Africa and Indian Ocean Ceremony 2010, which was hosted in Johannesburg last month. Awards included “Indian Ocean’s Leading Destination”. Mauritius Air picked up “Indian Ocean’s Leading Airline”, whilst Maradiva won “Mauritius’ Leading Resort”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
Set on the island's longest beach, beside a snorkelling paradise, Long Beach is a modern wonder with mountain scenery and an urban twist
- Enjoy a range of water sports including kayaking, boat tours and paddles boats
- Golfers can take advantage of complimentary green fees and the Free Shuttle Service to Ile aux Cerfs Championship Course
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
The Ambre Hotel is one exclusive property that will enthral travellers and boasts uninterrupted views of the tropical...
Spend seven magical days in the beautiful Mauritius, enjoying its Indian Ocean coastline. The Heritage Awali gives you a...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...
Make Mauritius your next holiday and revel in the tropical sun while lounging on sugary white sands and drinking in the...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...