Former World Champion brings Golf Tournament to Cuba
Ana Guevara, former world champion sprinter is lending her name to Cuba's first ever "Ana Guevara Cup", a golf cup to be awarded to the winner of a new golfing tournament that will take place from 13-17 October 2010.
Former Mexican World Champion, Ana Guevara recently took Cuba holidays in Varadero to attend a press conference held on Sunday, 15th August 2010. The former world champion and Olympic silver medalist in the 400 metre dash will lend her name to the Ana Guevara Cup, a pro-am golf tournament that will be held in Cuba from 13-17 October 2010.
The competition will bring as many as 140 Mexican participants flying to Cuba holidays to take part in the Varadero tournament, in a resort of white-sand beaches and sparkling, clear-blue surf east of Havana that has the country's only 18-hole golf course.
"I'm back and doing something new, a sport that almost no one knew me for," the 33-year-old from northern Mexico said Sunday at the Varadero Clubhouse on a bluff overlooking the ocean. It used to be known as "Xanadu," an 11-bedroom mansion built by U.S. chemical tycoon Irenee DuPont and now used for many official events and gatherings as well as Cuba weddings and other celebrations.
Ana added that she had never picked up a club until 2003, when her trainers ordered her to take a monthlong break from sprinting. She said the game left her with soreness in muscles she didn't know she had. "I played 18 holes, three days in a row. I almost couldn't move afterward," she said. "But I was comfortable ... I picked it up quickly." - she remembers.
Since retiring from track and field, Guevara sometimes plays twice a week. She has lowered her score from 120-plus to the low 90s and said she thinks she will shoot 89 or better before long. The sprinter said it took her time to warm to the game. "It seemed very boring to me. Actually, I didn't even think it was a sport," she said. "But it required great concentration, great technique."
Her longtime trainer is Cuban golf expert Raul Barreda, and she said that she travelled to Cuba holidays for golfing so much while working with him that lending her name to the Varadero tournament is like "returning to my roots."
"I hope this can be the vehicle that opens doors for this sport in Cuba," Guevara added.
Last May, Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero said the Cuban government had approved construction of residential projects linked to resorts — possibly opening the door for villas that could one day ring oceanfront golf courses. However no further details were given about whether Cuba will allow tourist developments that include residences owned by foreigners.
Cuba has said it would like to build 10 more 18-hole golf courses around the island to bank on the golfing potential of the Cuba holidays market. However the island has yet to break ground on any projects.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...