Former World Champion brings Golf Tournament to Cuba
Ana Guevara, former world champion sprinter is lending her name to Cuba's first ever "Ana Guevara Cup", a golf cup to be awarded to the winner of a new golfing tournament that will take place from 13-17 October 2010.
Former Mexican World Champion, Ana Guevara recently took Cuba holidays in Varadero to attend a press conference held on Sunday, 15th August 2010. The former world champion and Olympic silver medalist in the 400 metre dash will lend her name to the Ana Guevara Cup, a pro-am golf tournament that will be held in Cuba from 13-17 October 2010.
The competition will bring as many as 140 Mexican participants flying to Cuba holidays to take part in the Varadero tournament, in a resort of white-sand beaches and sparkling, clear-blue surf east of Havana that has the country's only 18-hole golf course.
"I'm back and doing something new, a sport that almost no one knew me for," the 33-year-old from northern Mexico said Sunday at the Varadero Clubhouse on a bluff overlooking the ocean. It used to be known as "Xanadu," an 11-bedroom mansion built by U.S. chemical tycoon Irenee DuPont and now used for many official events and gatherings as well as Cuba weddings and other celebrations.
Ana added that she had never picked up a club until 2003, when her trainers ordered her to take a monthlong break from sprinting. She said the game left her with soreness in muscles she didn't know she had. "I played 18 holes, three days in a row. I almost couldn't move afterward," she said. "But I was comfortable ... I picked it up quickly." - she remembers.
Since retiring from track and field, Guevara sometimes plays twice a week. She has lowered her score from 120-plus to the low 90s and said she thinks she will shoot 89 or better before long. The sprinter said it took her time to warm to the game. "It seemed very boring to me. Actually, I didn't even think it was a sport," she said. "But it required great concentration, great technique."
Her longtime trainer is Cuban golf expert Raul Barreda, and she said that she travelled to Cuba holidays for golfing so much while working with him that lending her name to the Varadero tournament is like "returning to my roots."
"I hope this can be the vehicle that opens doors for this sport in Cuba," Guevara added.
Last May, Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero said the Cuban government had approved construction of residential projects linked to resorts — possibly opening the door for villas that could one day ring oceanfront golf courses. However no further details were given about whether Cuba will allow tourist developments that include residences owned by foreigners.
Cuba has said it would like to build 10 more 18-hole golf courses around the island to bank on the golfing potential of the Cuba holidays market. However the island has yet to break ground on any projects.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...