Mexicana flights from London Gatwick suspended for August
As Mexico's national airline faces bankruptcy, many of its international have been cancelled, including the London Gatwick - Mexico City route, with all flights suspended for the remainder of August, 2010.
As the company battles an enormous financial struggle, Mexicana Airlines has been forced to suspend all flights from London Gatwick to Mexico City after filing for bankruptcy protection last week. This effectivelly means that all flights to/from London (which helped to connect many UK passengers to Cancun holidays) have been cancelled for the remainder of August this year.
Initially, the Mexican national airline had earlier assured passengers that it would continue operating its services from London, a popular route for many who then connected to Cancun holidays from Mexico City. However the route, which was launched in October 2008, is one of 18 being suspended over the next two days as the airline undergoes a financial restructuring programme.
Financial struggle comes as the consequence from the dramatic fall in the number of holidaymakers visiting Mexico and taking the ever-popular beach Cancun holidays, following last year’s swine flu outbreak. The carrier's debts now exceed £628 million.
In a statement on its website, Mexicana said that their financial situation is “no longer sustainable” after the unions failed to agree with its cost-saving measures.
Despite new investment and savings of some £500 million, its operating costs were still too high, it claimed, adding that its pilots earn up to 50 per cent more than the average wage paid by airlines in the US and its flight attendants earn 32 % more than the U.S. average.
The airline proposed a cut in pay of up to 41 per cent along with the axing of 700 jobs. Unions have so far rejected the proposals, with staff at the airline staging a number of impromptu protests in Mexico City.
Both MexicanaClick and MexicanaLink are operated independently of Mexicana, and are unaffected by the process.
However, passengers due to fly to Mexico holidays with Mexicana over the coming days will be rebooked on other airlines.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...