Mexicana flights from London Gatwick suspended for August
As Mexico's national airline faces bankruptcy, many of its international have been cancelled, including the London Gatwick - Mexico City route, with all flights suspended for the remainder of August, 2010.
As the company battles an enormous financial struggle, Mexicana Airlines has been forced to suspend all flights from London Gatwick to Mexico City after filing for bankruptcy protection last week. This effectivelly means that all flights to/from London (which helped to connect many UK passengers to Cancun holidays) have been cancelled for the remainder of August this year.
Initially, the Mexican national airline had earlier assured passengers that it would continue operating its services from London, a popular route for many who then connected to Cancun holidays from Mexico City. However the route, which was launched in October 2008, is one of 18 being suspended over the next two days as the airline undergoes a financial restructuring programme.
Financial struggle comes as the consequence from the dramatic fall in the number of holidaymakers visiting Mexico and taking the ever-popular beach Cancun holidays, following last year’s swine flu outbreak. The carrier's debts now exceed £628 million.
In a statement on its website, Mexicana said that their financial situation is “no longer sustainable” after the unions failed to agree with its cost-saving measures.
Despite new investment and savings of some £500 million, its operating costs were still too high, it claimed, adding that its pilots earn up to 50 per cent more than the average wage paid by airlines in the US and its flight attendants earn 32 % more than the U.S. average.
The airline proposed a cut in pay of up to 41 per cent along with the axing of 700 jobs. Unions have so far rejected the proposals, with staff at the airline staging a number of impromptu protests in Mexico City.
Both MexicanaClick and MexicanaLink are operated independently of Mexicana, and are unaffected by the process.
However, passengers due to fly to Mexico holidays with Mexicana over the coming days will be rebooked on other airlines.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...