Mexicana flights from London Gatwick suspended for August
As Mexico's national airline faces bankruptcy, many of its international have been cancelled, including the London Gatwick - Mexico City route, with all flights suspended for the remainder of August, 2010.
As the company battles an enormous financial struggle, Mexicana Airlines has been forced to suspend all flights from London Gatwick to Mexico City after filing for bankruptcy protection last week. This effectivelly means that all flights to/from London (which helped to connect many UK passengers to Cancun holidays) have been cancelled for the remainder of August this year.
Initially, the Mexican national airline had earlier assured passengers that it would continue operating its services from London, a popular route for many who then connected to Cancun holidays from Mexico City. However the route, which was launched in October 2008, is one of 18 being suspended over the next two days as the airline undergoes a financial restructuring programme.
Financial struggle comes as the consequence from the dramatic fall in the number of holidaymakers visiting Mexico and taking the ever-popular beach Cancun holidays, following last year’s swine flu outbreak. The carrier's debts now exceed £628 million.
In a statement on its website, Mexicana said that their financial situation is “no longer sustainable” after the unions failed to agree with its cost-saving measures.
Despite new investment and savings of some £500 million, its operating costs were still too high, it claimed, adding that its pilots earn up to 50 per cent more than the average wage paid by airlines in the US and its flight attendants earn 32 % more than the U.S. average.
The airline proposed a cut in pay of up to 41 per cent along with the axing of 700 jobs. Unions have so far rejected the proposals, with staff at the airline staging a number of impromptu protests in Mexico City.
Both MexicanaClick and MexicanaLink are operated independently of Mexicana, and are unaffected by the process.
However, passengers due to fly to Mexico holidays with Mexicana over the coming days will be rebooked on other airlines.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...