Barbados holidays target the Heritage Tourism Markets
Looking at innovative ways in which to push up tourism figures,the Barbadian government has identified new areas to exploit the island's cultural potential for culture-thirsty travellers in search of a more enriching Barbados holiday experience.
As far as implementing creative ways to continue to attract visitors to these shores, the Ministry of Tourism is "on the ball" and the creation of the latest venture, the Barbados Slave Route Heritage Trail and Tour, "Freedom Footprints, the Barbados Story," is ample evidence of this level of commitment to attract more visitors than ever to Barbados holidays by honing in on the lucrative heritage tourism market and augment the island's cultural diversity.
It is being spearheaded by the Ministry of Tourism in association with the Barbados Museum and Historical Society (BMHS). A number of town hall meetings have been held so far to educate residents in the communities about the attraction, garner their support, and identify how they can get involved. The first ones took place on July 22 and August 9, in Sweet Vale and Newbury, St. George, respectively.
The four-hour pilot tour, which is being offered twice monthly until year-end, will start and end at the BMHS and is being developed around memorable sites on the island related to the slave trade. "Our local population [is] somewhat starved of a clear understanding of our Afrocentricity and the whole slavery experience and the significance of so much that has taken place at Bayley's Plantation. For example, the free villages and post emancipation and the whole experience of freed slaves and this project is a good opportunity to have all of that in a tidy capsule, that we can have not only for the benefit of our school children, who, of course, need to have that added experience, but certainly, adults as well, who may have lacked that clear understanding [of local history]." - he explained.
The need to diversify our product offerings is imperative against the background of the global economic situation, and, as Minister Sealy underscored, that visitors were no longer content to take in the sand, sea and sun- they want much more and they expect value for money.
This was emphasised by BMHS Curator, Miguel Pena, who pointed out that the heritage tourism market is a growing trend around the world for tourists who are interested in having a greater experience and learning more about Caribbean heritage during their Barbados holidays.
The Curator continued: "And then the tour moves on to the Gun Hill Signal Station, which was erected in 1817; this is after the 1816 slave rebellion in Barbados which shook enslavement to its very core. There were rebellions throughout St.Philip, Christ Church, St. George and other parishes in the island. The Signal Station formed part of communication that started from the east coast right down into Bridgetown, and it was built after the rebellion to inform the Garrison at if another rebellion would take place and also to inform Bridgetown of the approach of ships coming up the coast of the island."
The worldwide web will be one of the venues used to market the new attraction. Details will be posted on such social network sites as Facebook and Twitter, as well as the websites of the Ministry of Tourism, the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association and the Barbados Tourism Authority. Plans are also in place to target cruise ship passengers.
The Barbados Slave Route Project Heritage Trail and Tour has its roots in the UNESCO/ World Tourism Organisation Cultural Slave Route Signage Project.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Free room upgrade to next available room
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...