Barbados holidays to launch new tourism intiatives
After reporting a 3% growth in the tourism sector during the first 6 months of 2010, Barbados is eager to emerge from the recession and launch new incentives to keep visitors interested in this Caribbean holiday destination with new programmed tours.
Looking after the future of the Barbados holidays market, the Barbadian government is embarking on a number of creative ways to develop the tourism sector to meet market demands and the new more discerning tourist. Such an announcement was made yesterday by Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, as he delivered a speech to officially open the 25th Anniversary Week of Activities of the Hotel and Restaurant Workers' at Solidarity House, St. Michael.
"Some of the initiatives that we have in train, [include] the restructuring of the Barbados Tourism Authority into two separate entities to place greater emphasis on product development and tourism marketing....We‘ve been doing this full consultation with the Barbados Workers Union... that is one initiative. We also are developing standards for attractions that are entertainment facilities as a quality assurance tool; and standards for the transportation sector and this is being done in conjunction with the Ministry of Transport, and the aim is to ensure a positive experience by using providers such as transport services." - he explained.
Mr. Sealy also stated that the government was also looking at developing community tourism programmes and strengthening sports tourism to include a greater variety of sporting activities to bring more travellers to Barbados holidays and ensure that visitors had a good experience and that they kept returning after their a satisfactory experience during their holidays in Barbados.
Highlighting some positive signs on the horizon, the Tourism Minister mentioned that the airlift from Brazil, was doing even better than was expected and that negotiations were under way to have a direct flight from Panama City. He also indicated a flight from Dallas, Texas, was scheduled to start on 16th December 2010.
On a optimistic note Mr. Sealy also revealed that, "there is a very real possibility, in the not too distant future, that we would have some tourists from China; we have started that process and it is quite optimistic."
Assessing the performance of the Barbados holidays sector as whole, he added," I am actually quite pleased to report for the first six months of 2010, that we welcomed 271,840 stay-over visitors, as compared to 263,849 for the same period last year; that represents an increase of 3 %... while we are still not back to the 2008 levels, the mere fact that we can report an improvement, in my view says a lot about the sector and the workers and what we have been able to do as a team to get our numbers back up.
Mr. Sealy stressed that the global economic recession from which the world was now trying to recover had resulted in testing times for the country's economy as a whole, and for the tourism industry of Barbados holidays, in particular.
"Remember that it is the tough times that show your true mettle, not the smooth times; when the chips are down, you will see what one's true character is", the Tourism Minister underlined.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- July Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...