Great bird-watching Cuba holidays as new populations of birds are found
Lovers of nature will be able to indulge in exotic bird-watching to their heart's content during Cuba holidays as new populations of rare and beautiful bird species are found in the island's wetlands.
Bird lovers and bird-watching enthusiasts will have a new family of birds to explore during Cuba holidays with the discovery of a newly found population of colourful species in the island's wetlands.
As it turns out new populations of the Blue-Headed Quail-Dove and Antillean Palm Swift were found in areas of the Great Wetland of northern Ciego de Avila, one of the major bird shelters in Cuba.
These new findings took place in the Loma de Santa Maria hill, Manga Larga, in the municipality of Bolivia, one of the four parts that make up Ciego de Avila's wetland. And it's here precisely where bird enthusiasts on Cuba holidays should come if they want to make the best of the opportunity to admire their unique beauty, only found in this Caribbean island.
Technician Oscar Ortiz Cedeño with the Flora and Fauna Preservation Enterprise said that once the blue-headed Quail-doves are visually counted, adequate management plans to preserve this threatened dove endemic to Cuba only, will be implemented.
Biologist Alvaro Espinosa Rojas said the Antillean palm swift is studied in captivity in the Loma de Cunagua hill, another important shelter of the province.
This is the first time Antillean palm swifts are seen in the area and 57 nests of the bird have been already counted in this wetland.
Espinosa Rojas explained that this bird is a very efficient biological control agent, however, it is threatened by the maja and birds of pray.
The Great Wetland of the North covers the Loma de Cunagua hill, Cayo Coco Centre-West Ecological Reserve, Venero and Milky Lagoon, which are considered natural labs international recognized for the presence of endemic, rare and threatened species.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...