Great bird-watching Cuba holidays as new populations of birds are found
Lovers of nature will be able to indulge in exotic bird-watching to their heart's content during Cuba holidays as new populations of rare and beautiful bird species are found in the island's wetlands.
Bird lovers and bird-watching enthusiasts will have a new family of birds to explore during Cuba holidays with the discovery of a newly found population of colourful species in the island's wetlands.
As it turns out new populations of the Blue-Headed Quail-Dove and Antillean Palm Swift were found in areas of the Great Wetland of northern Ciego de Avila, one of the major bird shelters in Cuba.
These new findings took place in the Loma de Santa Maria hill, Manga Larga, in the municipality of Bolivia, one of the four parts that make up Ciego de Avila's wetland. And it's here precisely where bird enthusiasts on Cuba holidays should come if they want to make the best of the opportunity to admire their unique beauty, only found in this Caribbean island.
Technician Oscar Ortiz Cedeño with the Flora and Fauna Preservation Enterprise said that once the blue-headed Quail-doves are visually counted, adequate management plans to preserve this threatened dove endemic to Cuba only, will be implemented.
Biologist Alvaro Espinosa Rojas said the Antillean palm swift is studied in captivity in the Loma de Cunagua hill, another important shelter of the province.
This is the first time Antillean palm swifts are seen in the area and 57 nests of the bird have been already counted in this wetland.
Espinosa Rojas explained that this bird is a very efficient biological control agent, however, it is threatened by the maja and birds of pray.
The Great Wetland of the North covers the Loma de Cunagua hill, Cayo Coco Centre-West Ecological Reserve, Venero and Milky Lagoon, which are considered natural labs international recognized for the presence of endemic, rare and threatened species.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...