Great bird-watching Cuba holidays as new populations of birds are found
Lovers of nature will be able to indulge in exotic bird-watching to their heart's content during Cuba holidays as new populations of rare and beautiful bird species are found in the island's wetlands.
Bird lovers and bird-watching enthusiasts will have a new family of birds to explore during Cuba holidays with the discovery of a newly found population of colourful species in the island's wetlands.
As it turns out new populations of the Blue-Headed Quail-Dove and Antillean Palm Swift were found in areas of the Great Wetland of northern Ciego de Avila, one of the major bird shelters in Cuba.
These new findings took place in the Loma de Santa Maria hill, Manga Larga, in the municipality of Bolivia, one of the four parts that make up Ciego de Avila's wetland. And it's here precisely where bird enthusiasts on Cuba holidays should come if they want to make the best of the opportunity to admire their unique beauty, only found in this Caribbean island.
Technician Oscar Ortiz Cedeño with the Flora and Fauna Preservation Enterprise said that once the blue-headed Quail-doves are visually counted, adequate management plans to preserve this threatened dove endemic to Cuba only, will be implemented.
Biologist Alvaro Espinosa Rojas said the Antillean palm swift is studied in captivity in the Loma de Cunagua hill, another important shelter of the province.
This is the first time Antillean palm swifts are seen in the area and 57 nests of the bird have been already counted in this wetland.
Espinosa Rojas explained that this bird is a very efficient biological control agent, however, it is threatened by the maja and birds of pray.
The Great Wetland of the North covers the Loma de Cunagua hill, Cayo Coco Centre-West Ecological Reserve, Venero and Milky Lagoon, which are considered natural labs international recognized for the presence of endemic, rare and threatened species.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...