Dominican Republic receives first plane for its new "green airport"
Travellers planning Dominican Republic holidays may soon get the chance to visit the region's first green airport as the Dominican Civil Aviation Institute (IDAC) acquires the first of four green airplanes which will run on ethanol.
The Dominican Civil Aviation Institute (IDAC) and the Airports Department have acquired the first of four green airplanes which will be used in the country's first green airport.
The new airport will introduce green Dominican Republic flights which will be run by ethanol as part of training academy and research centre.
The academy and airport will operate in Yuvina near Monte Plata on the Caribbean island which is a popular destination for travellers from all over the world to enjoy Dominican Republic holidays.
Director of IDAC, Tomas Perez, and Director of Airports Aristides, Fernandez Zucco, signed an agreement with the researcher of the Baylor Institute for Air Science in Houston, Maxwell Shauck, to rent the green airplanes annually at a cost of US$6,000.
The research centre will operate with alternative energy equipment and facilities and the planes will be used for training purposes in the academy.
The Caribbean island is a well known tourist destination for travellers seeking relaxing Dominican Republic holidays by the beaches or within luxury resorts.
The Dominican Republic is a nation on the island of Hispaniola which is shared with Haiti and is the second largest Caribbean nation after Cuba.
The stunning island offers a tropical destination for visitors and comprises white sand palm infringed beaches, sparkling turquoise waters, valleys, lagoons, rivers and the Caribbean's largest mountain, Pico Duarte. The tropical climate attracts tourists from the U.S and Europe to enjoy Dominican Republic holidays each year.
Travellers can enjoy a wide range of exciting activities during their Dominican Republic holidays including mountain climbing, rafting, horseback riding, hiking, jeep safaris, snorkelling, wind surfing, deep sea scuba diving, kite boarding and boat trips to experience hump back whales in their natural environment.
Nature lovers will be able to experience an island rich in flora and fauna and catch sightings of a number of bird and mammal species including American Crocodiles, the Ricord Iguana, and the endangered Jutia.
Golfing enthusiasts looking to play a few games during their luxury Dominican Republic holidays will be able to choose from a number of world-class golf courses surrounded by the Caribbean Sea and stunning scenery.
The Caribbean island nation is home to UNESCO heritage sites and historical attractions and monuments including cathedrals, churches and museums.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...