A lawsuit threatens flights to Cuba from the U.S
A legal conflict between a U.S. citizen who accuses the Cuban government of sending a spy to marry her is causing a stir in the air industry for those charter companies that currently operate the U.S-Cuba route.
It looks like direct Cuba holidays for U.S. travellers could soon be over as a lawsuit by a Florida woman against the Cuban government could shut down direct charter flights between the United States and the island nation, as compensation payment for what the Cuban government alledgedly owes her.
Ana Margarita Martinez is seeking damages on the grounds that Cuba ordered a Cuban spy in the United States to marry her, El Nuevo Herald, the Spanish language edition of The Miami Herald, reported. Her lawyers have garnished payments made by eight charter airlines flying passengers to Cuba holidays for landing rights after a Florida court awarded her $27 million.
The case is now in federal court after moving between U.S. and Florida courts several times. Martinez's lawyers have filed a motion last week to return it to a state court, while lawyers for the U.S. government say it should be in federal court.
The Obama administration has been trying to build new ties with Cuba, arguing that it will encourage democracy in Cuba. The eight airlines involved stopped making payments to the Cuban government after Martinez's lawyers filed a writ of garnishment six months ago, but in order to keep Cuba holidays for Cuban-Americans going strong (U.S citizens are forbidden from travelling to the island), Cuba has so far continued to allow them to land.
Ira J. Kurzban, attorney for the Miami-based charter firms, said that the lawsuit brought by Ana Margarita Martinez could lead to Havana suspending their landing rights, according to a court document released Tuesday. The attorney asked U.S. District Judge Frederico Moreno to deny Martinez’ plea because if his clients do not make the payments agreed upon with Cuba for lack of funds, their flights will end since they depend on those landing rights.
The companies involved are ABC Charters, Airline Brokers Company Inc, C&T Charters, Cuba Travel Services, Gulfstream Air Charter, Inc., Marazul Charters, Inc., Xael Charters and Wilson International Services, Inc.
Charter flights are currently the only option for direct air travel between the United States to Cuba, and currently the form of transport most Cuban-Americans use to go on Cuba holidays and visit family in the island.
Martinez told Efe last Saturday that she asked that funds be withheld from those companies so she can collect the compensation that a Miami-Dade Circuit Court awarded her in 2001.
“I’ve waited a long time and I still haven’t been paid. It’s very hard to find Cuban funds, so we decided that it could be done through the charter flight companies that pay the Cuban government a percentage of the flights,” Martinez said in an interview.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...