Competition between Russian airlines continues over their Caribbean holiday destinations
Russian carriers Transaero and Aeroflot seem to be battling out over who serves the most Caribbean holidays destinations, as one starts servicing the Cuba holidays market in Varadero and the other the Dominican Republic holiday market in Punta Cana.
After the recent inaugural service that Russian Transaero air company started with the launch of the new flights from Moscow to Varadero, which have been taking Russian holidaymakers to Cuba holidays since 30th July, 2010, a new battle seems to have ensued in Russia over who has the most dominant presence in Caribbean holidays market.
The new Transaero flights to Varadero will have a twice weekly frequency and depart from Domodedovo airport. It should be noted that these are the first direct flights from Moscow to Varadero, a first t. According to the experts, that was a sort of response of Transaero to its main competitor – Aeroflot, as Aeroflot was planning to start operating the flights from Moscow to Punta Cana.
Meanwhile, the flights of Transaero to Varadero may be considered as a comeback to Cuban destination. Just to remind, in autumn Aeroflot recalled the permission of Transaero for the flights to Varadero and at the same time increased the number of flights to Havana. However, Transaero remained in the region, having started operation of very successful flights to Cancun, Mexico.
According to the official statistics, 22.9 thousand Russians (+24.9% in comparison with the same period of last year) visited Cuba during the first six months of 2010. Russia took the lead over Argentina in growth rate of the tourist flow this year and appeared on the 2nd place after Mexico (33.2 thousand people, with increase of 29.2%).
This signals a future ongoing battle for who covers more Caribbean holiday destinations, it could be said Transaero already has an edge in pioneering for the Cuba holidays market, which seems to be generating increasing interest among Russian travellers. It is yet to see who will be the Russian king of Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...