Competition between Russian airlines continues over their Caribbean holiday destinations
Russian carriers Transaero and Aeroflot seem to be battling out over who serves the most Caribbean holidays destinations, as one starts servicing the Cuba holidays market in Varadero and the other the Dominican Republic holiday market in Punta Cana.
After the recent inaugural service that Russian Transaero air company started with the launch of the new flights from Moscow to Varadero, which have been taking Russian holidaymakers to Cuba holidays since 30th July, 2010, a new battle seems to have ensued in Russia over who has the most dominant presence in Caribbean holidays market.
The new Transaero flights to Varadero will have a twice weekly frequency and depart from Domodedovo airport. It should be noted that these are the first direct flights from Moscow to Varadero, a first t. According to the experts, that was a sort of response of Transaero to its main competitor – Aeroflot, as Aeroflot was planning to start operating the flights from Moscow to Punta Cana.
Meanwhile, the flights of Transaero to Varadero may be considered as a comeback to Cuban destination. Just to remind, in autumn Aeroflot recalled the permission of Transaero for the flights to Varadero and at the same time increased the number of flights to Havana. However, Transaero remained in the region, having started operation of very successful flights to Cancun, Mexico.
According to the official statistics, 22.9 thousand Russians (+24.9% in comparison with the same period of last year) visited Cuba during the first six months of 2010. Russia took the lead over Argentina in growth rate of the tourist flow this year and appeared on the 2nd place after Mexico (33.2 thousand people, with increase of 29.2%).
This signals a future ongoing battle for who covers more Caribbean holiday destinations, it could be said Transaero already has an edge in pioneering for the Cuba holidays market, which seems to be generating increasing interest among Russian travellers. It is yet to see who will be the Russian king of Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning varadero beach, getting the best of both during Easter 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre Easter holiday package deal
- The elegant distrrict of Miramar and the pristine beach of Varadero provide the perfect settings for exploring the charm and beauty of Cuba
- Boasts facilities, activities, excursions and entertainment for every taste
- A spacious, classy and comfortable feel
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...