Competition between Russian airlines continues over their Caribbean holiday destinations
Russian carriers Transaero and Aeroflot seem to be battling out over who serves the most Caribbean holidays destinations, as one starts servicing the Cuba holidays market in Varadero and the other the Dominican Republic holiday market in Punta Cana.
After the recent inaugural service that Russian Transaero air company started with the launch of the new flights from Moscow to Varadero, which have been taking Russian holidaymakers to Cuba holidays since 30th July, 2010, a new battle seems to have ensued in Russia over who has the most dominant presence in Caribbean holidays market.
The new Transaero flights to Varadero will have a twice weekly frequency and depart from Domodedovo airport. It should be noted that these are the first direct flights from Moscow to Varadero, a first t. According to the experts, that was a sort of response of Transaero to its main competitor – Aeroflot, as Aeroflot was planning to start operating the flights from Moscow to Punta Cana.
Meanwhile, the flights of Transaero to Varadero may be considered as a comeback to Cuban destination. Just to remind, in autumn Aeroflot recalled the permission of Transaero for the flights to Varadero and at the same time increased the number of flights to Havana. However, Transaero remained in the region, having started operation of very successful flights to Cancun, Mexico.
According to the official statistics, 22.9 thousand Russians (+24.9% in comparison with the same period of last year) visited Cuba during the first six months of 2010. Russia took the lead over Argentina in growth rate of the tourist flow this year and appeared on the 2nd place after Mexico (33.2 thousand people, with increase of 29.2%).
This signals a future ongoing battle for who covers more Caribbean holiday destinations, it could be said Transaero already has an edge in pioneering for the Cuba holidays market, which seems to be generating increasing interest among Russian travellers. It is yet to see who will be the Russian king of Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your next summer holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...