Competition between Russian airlines continues over their Caribbean holiday destinations
Russian carriers Transaero and Aeroflot seem to be battling out over who serves the most Caribbean holidays destinations, as one starts servicing the Cuba holidays market in Varadero and the other the Dominican Republic holiday market in Punta Cana.
After the recent inaugural service that Russian Transaero air company started with the launch of the new flights from Moscow to Varadero, which have been taking Russian holidaymakers to Cuba holidays since 30th July, 2010, a new battle seems to have ensued in Russia over who has the most dominant presence in Caribbean holidays market.
The new Transaero flights to Varadero will have a twice weekly frequency and depart from Domodedovo airport. It should be noted that these are the first direct flights from Moscow to Varadero, a first t. According to the experts, that was a sort of response of Transaero to its main competitor – Aeroflot, as Aeroflot was planning to start operating the flights from Moscow to Punta Cana.
Meanwhile, the flights of Transaero to Varadero may be considered as a comeback to Cuban destination. Just to remind, in autumn Aeroflot recalled the permission of Transaero for the flights to Varadero and at the same time increased the number of flights to Havana. However, Transaero remained in the region, having started operation of very successful flights to Cancun, Mexico.
According to the official statistics, 22.9 thousand Russians (+24.9% in comparison with the same period of last year) visited Cuba during the first six months of 2010. Russia took the lead over Argentina in growth rate of the tourist flow this year and appeared on the 2nd place after Mexico (33.2 thousand people, with increase of 29.2%).
This signals a future ongoing battle for who covers more Caribbean holiday destinations, it could be said Transaero already has an edge in pioneering for the Cuba holidays market, which seems to be generating increasing interest among Russian travellers. It is yet to see who will be the Russian king of Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...