Shanghai Expo showcasing Barbados holidays attracts large crowds
Barbados is betting strongly for the Chinese holiday market as it sees good growth potential in the Asian sector of holidaymakers bringing tourism to the island, especially after the success the Barbados Shanghai Expo has been having among visitors.
Allegedly, there have been over one million Chinese visitors "taking" virtual Barbados holidays during the past three months, with another 4 million expected by the end of October this year.
Such an announcement was revealed by Marketing Executive of the Barbados Tourism Authority (BTA), Bernard Phillips, who also explained that although not physically coming to their shores, these "tourists" have had a taste of the Barbados holidays, by visiting the BTA's booth at the 2010 Shanghai Expo in China.
Attractions such as road tennis, cricket, golf, dry surfing, limbo dancing with Cheryl Grazette and Bajan delicacies compliments of local chef Peter Edey, have all provided the flavour of a Bajan vacation. Harrison's Cave, the Parliament Buildings, the various festivals, and the sugar industry are some of the other aspects of Barbados depicted in the pavilion.
And, according to Phillips, there has been "very positive feedback" to the displays.In addition, he noted that several participants from the 200 countries and organisations at the Expo have also been visiting the booth, and, have been expressing an interest in coming to Barbados.
Phillips made it clear, however, that the BTA would "not expect overnight, thousands of Chinese to be swarming over Barbados; but we are here planting a seed, we have to water it and I am sure in the medium term we will see the benefits".
The Marketing Executive also pointed out that the tourism Authority had been corresponding with a number of tourism operators which, he said, was critical. "We met with over 20 tour operators and had very productive meetings and we will have ongoing discussions. We will also have seminars for travel agents, education in and outside of the booth to educate the travel trade about Barbados as a tourism destination. So, we are not only educating the visitors, but the travel trade as well," the official stressed.
The educational sessions being held in China for the travel trade will continue in Barbados in September, with a familiarisation visit hosted by the BTA as part of its ‘Come, See and Believe' promotion. Phillips indicated that the tour operators would be able to experience Barbados holidays for themselves, which, he believes, "puts them in a better position to come back here [to China] and sell Barbados as a destination".
The Marketing Executive also revealed that the BTA was working on its website, which would be up and running shortly in mandarin, a move which he described as being "key to communicating with the travel trade in China".
The BTA's main objectives for participating in the Expo which started May 1, and ends on October 30, are to promote Barbados holidays as a high quality tourism destination, promote it as a place for investment, promote its goods and services and further strengthen relations between Barbados and China. The theme of the Expo is "Better City, Better Life".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...