Tourists taking Cuba holidays increase by 1% during first half of 2010
Even when the country seems to be navigating in stormy economic waters, the market of Cuba holidays is blooming as popular as ever with a reported 1% increase in the number of visitors having been registered during the first half of this year.
Despite the harsh economical difficulties the country is currently facing, Cuba holidays continue to bloom and drive much interest among international travellers as tourist arrivals to Cuba continued to trend upwards in the first half of the year, signalling an increase of 1% over the same period in 2009, Cuban sources revealed on Friday.
By the end of last month, 1.38 million visitors had come to the island, a figure that represented 13,519 more travellers than in the first six months of 2009 taking Cuba holidays, the National Statistics Office, (ONE) said this month.
Nevertheless, even when these figures show the nation is faring well in these times of economic uncertainty for the travel sector (where Caribbean holidays have been seriously affected) this June the number of tourists dropped by 0.6 % whencompared with the same month in 2009.
As it seems it's not all is good news for the Cuba holidays market. The arrival of visitors to Cuba last January and February also fell by 3.4 %, and yet, from March onwards the downward trend was checked and since then the indicator of the popularity of Cuba holidays has generally been on the rise.
In May authorities in the sector announced that the four-month period of January-April was “the highest in the history of Cuban tourism” with a record 1.05 million tourists, an increase of 101 percent over the same period in 2009, though the revenues obtained were similar.
Canada, Italy, Britain, France and Spain remain the chief sources of visitors to the communist-ruled island.
Cuba welcomed 2.43 million tourists in 2009, which was 3.5 percent more than in 2008, but revenues in the sector fell by 11 percent.
Tourism is one of the main sources of foreign currency in Cuba, which is suffering from a severe economic crisis and an acute lack of liquidity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...