Tourists taking Cuba holidays increase by 1% during first half of 2010
Even when the country seems to be navigating in stormy economic waters, the market of Cuba holidays is blooming as popular as ever with a reported 1% increase in the number of visitors having been registered during the first half of this year.
Despite the harsh economical difficulties the country is currently facing, Cuba holidays continue to bloom and drive much interest among international travellers as tourist arrivals to Cuba continued to trend upwards in the first half of the year, signalling an increase of 1% over the same period in 2009, Cuban sources revealed on Friday.
By the end of last month, 1.38 million visitors had come to the island, a figure that represented 13,519 more travellers than in the first six months of 2009 taking Cuba holidays, the National Statistics Office, (ONE) said this month.
Nevertheless, even when these figures show the nation is faring well in these times of economic uncertainty for the travel sector (where Caribbean holidays have been seriously affected) this June the number of tourists dropped by 0.6 % whencompared with the same month in 2009.
As it seems it's not all is good news for the Cuba holidays market. The arrival of visitors to Cuba last January and February also fell by 3.4 %, and yet, from March onwards the downward trend was checked and since then the indicator of the popularity of Cuba holidays has generally been on the rise.
In May authorities in the sector announced that the four-month period of January-April was “the highest in the history of Cuban tourism” with a record 1.05 million tourists, an increase of 101 percent over the same period in 2009, though the revenues obtained were similar.
Canada, Italy, Britain, France and Spain remain the chief sources of visitors to the communist-ruled island.
Cuba welcomed 2.43 million tourists in 2009, which was 3.5 percent more than in 2008, but revenues in the sector fell by 11 percent.
Tourism is one of the main sources of foreign currency in Cuba, which is suffering from a severe economic crisis and an acute lack of liquidity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...