Tourists taking Cuba holidays increase by 1% during first half of 2010
Even when the country seems to be navigating in stormy economic waters, the market of Cuba holidays is blooming as popular as ever with a reported 1% increase in the number of visitors having been registered during the first half of this year.
Despite the harsh economical difficulties the country is currently facing, Cuba holidays continue to bloom and drive much interest among international travellers as tourist arrivals to Cuba continued to trend upwards in the first half of the year, signalling an increase of 1% over the same period in 2009, Cuban sources revealed on Friday.
By the end of last month, 1.38 million visitors had come to the island, a figure that represented 13,519 more travellers than in the first six months of 2009 taking Cuba holidays, the National Statistics Office, (ONE) said this month.
Nevertheless, even when these figures show the nation is faring well in these times of economic uncertainty for the travel sector (where Caribbean holidays have been seriously affected) this June the number of tourists dropped by 0.6 % whencompared with the same month in 2009.
As it seems it's not all is good news for the Cuba holidays market. The arrival of visitors to Cuba last January and February also fell by 3.4 %, and yet, from March onwards the downward trend was checked and since then the indicator of the popularity of Cuba holidays has generally been on the rise.
In May authorities in the sector announced that the four-month period of January-April was “the highest in the history of Cuban tourism” with a record 1.05 million tourists, an increase of 101 percent over the same period in 2009, though the revenues obtained were similar.
Canada, Italy, Britain, France and Spain remain the chief sources of visitors to the communist-ruled island.
Cuba welcomed 2.43 million tourists in 2009, which was 3.5 percent more than in 2008, but revenues in the sector fell by 11 percent.
Tourism is one of the main sources of foreign currency in Cuba, which is suffering from a severe economic crisis and an acute lack of liquidity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...