Tourists taking Cuba holidays increase by 1% during first half of 2010
Even when the country seems to be navigating in stormy economic waters, the market of Cuba holidays is blooming as popular as ever with a reported 1% increase in the number of visitors having been registered during the first half of this year.
Despite the harsh economical difficulties the country is currently facing, Cuba holidays continue to bloom and drive much interest among international travellers as tourist arrivals to Cuba continued to trend upwards in the first half of the year, signalling an increase of 1% over the same period in 2009, Cuban sources revealed on Friday.
By the end of last month, 1.38 million visitors had come to the island, a figure that represented 13,519 more travellers than in the first six months of 2009 taking Cuba holidays, the National Statistics Office, (ONE) said this month.
Nevertheless, even when these figures show the nation is faring well in these times of economic uncertainty for the travel sector (where Caribbean holidays have been seriously affected) this June the number of tourists dropped by 0.6 % whencompared with the same month in 2009.
As it seems it's not all is good news for the Cuba holidays market. The arrival of visitors to Cuba last January and February also fell by 3.4 %, and yet, from March onwards the downward trend was checked and since then the indicator of the popularity of Cuba holidays has generally been on the rise.
In May authorities in the sector announced that the four-month period of January-April was “the highest in the history of Cuban tourism” with a record 1.05 million tourists, an increase of 101 percent over the same period in 2009, though the revenues obtained were similar.
Canada, Italy, Britain, France and Spain remain the chief sources of visitors to the communist-ruled island.
Cuba welcomed 2.43 million tourists in 2009, which was 3.5 percent more than in 2008, but revenues in the sector fell by 11 percent.
Tourism is one of the main sources of foreign currency in Cuba, which is suffering from a severe economic crisis and an acute lack of liquidity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...