Tourists taking Cuba holidays increase by 1% during first half of 2010
Even when the country seems to be navigating in stormy economic waters, the market of Cuba holidays is blooming as popular as ever with a reported 1% increase in the number of visitors having been registered during the first half of this year.
Despite the harsh economical difficulties the country is currently facing, Cuba holidays continue to bloom and drive much interest among international travellers as tourist arrivals to Cuba continued to trend upwards in the first half of the year, signalling an increase of 1% over the same period in 2009, Cuban sources revealed on Friday.
By the end of last month, 1.38 million visitors had come to the island, a figure that represented 13,519 more travellers than in the first six months of 2009 taking Cuba holidays, the National Statistics Office, (ONE) said this month.
Nevertheless, even when these figures show the nation is faring well in these times of economic uncertainty for the travel sector (where Caribbean holidays have been seriously affected) this June the number of tourists dropped by 0.6 % whencompared with the same month in 2009.
As it seems it's not all is good news for the Cuba holidays market. The arrival of visitors to Cuba last January and February also fell by 3.4 %, and yet, from March onwards the downward trend was checked and since then the indicator of the popularity of Cuba holidays has generally been on the rise.
In May authorities in the sector announced that the four-month period of January-April was “the highest in the history of Cuban tourism” with a record 1.05 million tourists, an increase of 101 percent over the same period in 2009, though the revenues obtained were similar.
Canada, Italy, Britain, France and Spain remain the chief sources of visitors to the communist-ruled island.
Cuba welcomed 2.43 million tourists in 2009, which was 3.5 percent more than in 2008, but revenues in the sector fell by 11 percent.
Tourism is one of the main sources of foreign currency in Cuba, which is suffering from a severe economic crisis and an acute lack of liquidity.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...