Group of Americans who defied ban on travel to Cuba returned to US
A group of twenty-nine Americans who decided to travel to Cuba against the rules of the current US embargo which bans US travellers from freely visiting the island, returned to America on Monday after being escorted across the Peace Bridge by a police.
Twenty-nine Americans from the Venceremos Brigade defied the US embargo which bans travel to Cuba for American travellers, and entered the Caribbean island earlier this month.
The US travellers spent two weeks in Cuba before returning to American soil after clearing an inspection by Customs and Border Protection. The group walked from Canada across the Peace Bridge in to Buffalo, U.S, where they were inspected and then escorted the rest of the way by a Buffalo police officer.
Upon their return, the American group were chanting for an end to the ban which has stopped travel to Cuba for U.S citizens for nearly 50 years.
According to a Customs and Border Patrol spokesperson, Kevin Corsaro, no members of the group were detained and would not be unless any invalid travel documents or illegal imports were found.
When the travellers returned they were instructed to complete questionnaires at customs, but many of the group said they left blank anything that might be considered illegal, such as any purchases made in Cuba.
The nationwide organisation, Venceremos Brigade, has been sending groups of travellers to Cuba for the past 41 years to show their support in lifting the ban on travel to Cuba and trading between the two countries.
Ann Sparanese, a member of the Venceremos Brigade, held a placard demanding the right to free travel while she waited for the group's arrival.
"We don't even have to change our signs. We can have the same signs for 50 years," she said. "But we're not going to give up. The policy will end. It has to end, it's so insane."
Last year, President Barack Obama softened the embargo to allow American residents to take Cuba holidays to visit relatives who lived there. However, U.S travellers without family members on the island are still prohibited to freely travel to Cuba.
Last month, the House Agriculture Committee voted to lift the ban to make it easier to sell American agriculture exports but President Obama has stated that he will not support the lifting of the ban until the communist Cuban government improves human rights and political freedom in the country.
One of the members of the Venceremos Brigade, Liz Afton from New York, who returned with the group on Monday spoke of the time in Cuba and said that they were warmly received by local Cubans.
"People were able to make a distinction between us as individuals and the actions of our government," she said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...