Group of Americans who defied ban on travel to Cuba returned to US
A group of twenty-nine Americans who decided to travel to Cuba against the rules of the current US embargo which bans US travellers from freely visiting the island, returned to America on Monday after being escorted across the Peace Bridge by a police.
Twenty-nine Americans from the Venceremos Brigade defied the US embargo which bans travel to Cuba for American travellers, and entered the Caribbean island earlier this month.
The US travellers spent two weeks in Cuba before returning to American soil after clearing an inspection by Customs and Border Protection. The group walked from Canada across the Peace Bridge in to Buffalo, U.S, where they were inspected and then escorted the rest of the way by a Buffalo police officer.
Upon their return, the American group were chanting for an end to the ban which has stopped travel to Cuba for U.S citizens for nearly 50 years.
According to a Customs and Border Patrol spokesperson, Kevin Corsaro, no members of the group were detained and would not be unless any invalid travel documents or illegal imports were found.
When the travellers returned they were instructed to complete questionnaires at customs, but many of the group said they left blank anything that might be considered illegal, such as any purchases made in Cuba.
The nationwide organisation, Venceremos Brigade, has been sending groups of travellers to Cuba for the past 41 years to show their support in lifting the ban on travel to Cuba and trading between the two countries.
Ann Sparanese, a member of the Venceremos Brigade, held a placard demanding the right to free travel while she waited for the group's arrival.
"We don't even have to change our signs. We can have the same signs for 50 years," she said. "But we're not going to give up. The policy will end. It has to end, it's so insane."
Last year, President Barack Obama softened the embargo to allow American residents to take Cuba holidays to visit relatives who lived there. However, U.S travellers without family members on the island are still prohibited to freely travel to Cuba.
Last month, the House Agriculture Committee voted to lift the ban to make it easier to sell American agriculture exports but President Obama has stated that he will not support the lifting of the ban until the communist Cuban government improves human rights and political freedom in the country.
One of the members of the Venceremos Brigade, Liz Afton from New York, who returned with the group on Monday spoke of the time in Cuba and said that they were warmly received by local Cubans.
"People were able to make a distinction between us as individuals and the actions of our government," she said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...